Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 74

Thread: CNN: some of the Kenya mall attackers are from the US

  1. #11
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,178

    Re: CNN: some of the Kenya mall attackers are from the US

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Born here means they are actual Americans, who grew up in our culture and society and under our laws, who nonetheless decided to go to Africa, take up an extremist cause, and commit mass murder of innocent citizens of another country. That's bad.


    "Possess US citizenship" may mean they grew up in a different culture or nation and that their ties to the USA are more tenuous than native-born-and-raised.

    I suppose one could argue the difference is subtle, but I think it is significant.
    Homegrown terrorists are nothing new. American culture is as varied as it is vast. We produce violent extremist nutjobs just as all countries do. That fact doesn't speak to our culture as a whole.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,992

    Re: CNN: some of the Kenya mall attackers are from the US

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Born here means they are actual Americans, who grew up in our culture and society and under our laws, who nonetheless decided to go to Africa, take up an extremist cause, and commit mass murder of innocent citizens of another country. That's bad.


    "Possess US citizenship" may mean they grew up in a different culture or nation and that their ties to the USA are more tenuous than native-born-and-raised.

    I suppose one could argue the difference is subtle, but I think it is significant.
    Maybe al-shababb needed the gunmen to be foreign in order to carry out the shopping mall shooting?

  3. #13
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: CNN: some of the Kenya mall attackers are from the US

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Born here means they are actual Americans,
    Interesting phrasing.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #14
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: CNN: some of the Kenya mall attackers are from the US

    Quote Originally Posted by the_recruit View Post
    Homegrown terrorists are nothing new. American culture is as varied as it is vast. We produce violent extremist nutjobs just as all countries do. That fact doesn't speak to our culture as a whole.
    Yes, but our violent nutjobs typically go postal in our country, not abroad.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  5. #15
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,178

    Re: CNN: some of the Kenya mall attackers are from the US

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Yes, but our violent nutjobs typically go postal in our country, not abroad.
    What difference does that make?

  6. #16
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,201

    Re: CNN: some of the Kenya mall attackers are from the US

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Interesting phrasing.





    There is a difference between someone raised in our culture and someone who wasn't. Obviously. Make of that what you will, I care not.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  7. #17
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: CNN: some of the Kenya mall attackers are from the US

    Quote Originally Posted by the_recruit View Post
    What difference does that make?
    Imo, it's a huge difference. It's the difference between a home-grown terrorist killing Americans, and being tried in our courts of law, and justice being served in whichever way is decided by our legal system. Our producing terrorists who go abroad and commit terroristic actions against innocents in other countries will be handled however that country handles terrorists. That in and of itself doesn't bother me, but it sure as hell bothers me if Americans are now becoming international jihadists.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  8. #18
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,992

    Re: CNN: some of the Kenya mall attackers are from the US

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Imo, it's a huge difference. It's the difference between a home-grown terrorist killing Americans, and being tried in our courts of law, and justice being served in whichever way is decided by our legal system. Our producing terrorists who go abroad and commit terroristic actions against innocents in other countries will be handled however that country handles terrorists. That in and of itself doesn't bother me, but it sure as hell bothers me if Americans are now becoming international jihadists.
    I think al-shababb needs their terrorists to identified as foreigners baca use they will be in trouble if somoliis commited the terror attack in the mall

  9. #19
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: CNN: some of the Kenya mall attackers are from the US

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Having native-born Americans committing terrorist acts on foreign soil could prove somewhat problematic for the State Department.
    What I'm trying to say.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: CNN: some of the Kenya mall attackers are from the US

    Quote Originally Posted by the_recruit View Post
    For whom? Idiots who try to attribute responsibility for individuals' actions to an entire nation?
    For the NSA that we're all forfeiting our fourth for so they can prevent such acts.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •