Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 176

Thread: Victims family releases graphic video of his death

  1. #41
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Victims family releases graphic video of his death

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    How in the world was the cop's life in danger here? He could have simply taken down the license plate and got the guy later. This $25 infraction did not warrant the guy being killed. Isn't that the whole point of seat belt laws, to save lives??
    That's not how it goes...Run from the cops, they chase you. People breaking the law don't get to set the scenario.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #42
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:06 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,072

    Re: Victims family releases graphic video of his death

    Because everybody hightails and runs when the cops pull the over......

    No sympathy here.

  3. #43
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Victims family releases graphic video of his death

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    You're obviously terribly full of hate and this is your outlet.
    Obvious maybe to those who don't agree.

    Criminals are a danger and/or resource drain upon society. Therefore, they must be stopped from acting criminally. Criminals can either be reformed, warehoused or removed from society permanently. I see no evidence the the criminal justice system currently in place in this country has adequate punishments or procedures to actually reform very many at all. Warehousing criminals is itself a resource drain on society. So that leaves removing those who will not reform or cannot be reformed from society as the most logical option. Anytime that a criminal is permanently removed from harming society while in the commission of a crime, it is the most efficient means of handling criminals, however since we are "civilized" we give them the option to surrender and submit to possible being reformed. Failure to submit/surrender simply removes that option and the criminal has chosen then to be permanently removed from society.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  4. #44
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Victims family releases graphic video of his death

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) still pictures in the thread and comments in the thread? who knows

    2.) protocol and procedure violations resulting in a death, thats the problem thats why he was instantly fired as soon as the commanding officer saw the video

    3.) well you just further show how severely uneducated you are on this topic, just saying what you did shows you basically know next to nothing, once again SUPER funny. Always like when somebody exposes themselves as bad as you. You are cracking me up.

    4.) see #3, the entertainment continues from your irrational factual false and uneducated posts. Please dont stop! wow
    Maybe from your point of view. However, you and others seem to think that only discussing the "facts" in this particular case and not the overall problems of the entire criminal justice system is somehow "enlightened". Besides whether a procedure was broken, the existence and the governing philosophy as to why such procedure exists in the first place also need to be considered.

    Breaking procedure, which may or not be justified in it's existence, did lead to the death of a criminal. The death of a criminal while in the commission of a crime is not something that some feel is a reason for remorse or even concern or sympathy. Criminals ending up dead in the process of apprehension simply reduces greatly the cost to society for trials, incarceration, and other associated costs. The criminal had the choice, he made a bad one, he died as a result. I don't see a problem with that.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  5. #45
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Victims family releases graphic video of his death

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    How in the world was the cop's life in danger here? He could have simply taken down the license plate and got the guy later. This $25 infraction did not warrant the guy being killed. Isn't that the whole point of seat belt laws, to save lives??
    One would have to consider the thought process of an individual who would resist a $25 infraction by instigating a pursuit that may have severely endangered innocent bystanders and in this case, lead to his own death. The decision to run and endanger both himself and others is what actually lead to his death, not the $25 ticket. Why did this individual actually run? A $25 ticket hardly seems a logical reason to do so. In this case and probably many others, the illogical decision to run from a minor infraction simply indicates the possibility/probability that the individual running is also involved in other, more dangerous criminal activity.

    Yes, the cop could of taken down his licenses plate number and cited him later. However, by running, the criminal gave police probable cause that a crime, other than a seatbelt infraction may be occurring and the fleeing itself became a crime which endangered others.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  6. #46
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,468

    Re: Victims family releases graphic video of his death

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    That is just mean and heartless. (sarcasm)
    See he was a NON violent criminal. Out side of the fact that he was willing to probably run down anyone that tried to stop is escape from police. For a seat belt fine. Which is I think $125.00 now.
    The lives of your family to that man was worth $125.00, and he was willing to kill them for it.
    Now his family will be millionaires thanks to the state of Florida.
    Nobody runs from a seat belt ticket. There had to be something he didn't want the officer to find out about, like a warrant or drugs or something.

  7. #47
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: Victims family releases graphic video of his death

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    1.)Maybe from your point of view. However,
    2.) you and others seem to think that only discussing the "facts" in this particular case and not the overall problems of the entire criminal justice system is somehow "enlightened".
    3.) Besides whether a procedure was broken, the existence and the governing philosophy as to why such procedure exists in the first place also need to be considered.
    4.) Breaking procedure, which may or not be justified in it's existence, did lead to the death of a criminal.
    5.) The death of a criminal while in the commission of a crime is not something that some feel is a reason for remorse or even concern or sympathy.
    6.) Criminals ending up dead in the process of apprehension simply reduces greatly the cost to society for trials, incarceration, and other associated costs.
    7.) The criminal had the choice, he made a bad one, he died as a result. I don't see a problem with that.
    1.) what m point of view please tell me id love to know
    2.) there are no problems you talked about that go towards this case
    3.) cute opinion but if you want to start a discussion on that opinion and that topic feel free.
    4.) yep hence why he was instantly fired and so far he is lucky he isnt charged yet
    5.) yes i know some people are irrational, illogical, uncivil and dont care about law and legal/human rights. THis is true. I do though, so did the guy that fired this moron.
    6.) or increase the lost of freedoms, justice, liberty and rights which most value more.
    7.) nope, a stupid officer breaking procedure got him killed, thats the problem and why that officer was in fact fired and why he could be facing charges.

    please continue, this is great
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #48
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Victims family releases graphic video of his death

    The problem with stories like this come to light in the original CNN article the OP linked to.

    From the second sentence:

    "On May 8, Marlon Brown was being chased by DeLand police because they allegedly saw that he was not wearing a seatbelt"

    Mr. Brown wasn't being chased because the DeLand police allegedly saw he was not wearing a seatbelt. They were chasing him because he wouldn't stop.

    Did he just murder someone? Did he have a child stuffed in his trunk? Did he just rob a bank?

    It's a shame he died as a result of his crime, but it could have been avoided.

  9. #49
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: Victims family releases graphic video of his death

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    The problem with stories like this come to light in the original CNN article the OP linked to.

    From the second sentence:

    "On May 8, Marlon Brown was being chased by DeLand police because they allegedly saw that he was not wearing a seatbelt"

    Mr. Brown wasn't being chased because the DeLand police allegedly saw he was not wearing a seatbelt. They were chasing him because he wouldn't stop.

    Did he just murder someone? Did he have a child stuffed in his trunk? Did he just rob a bank?

    It's a shame he died as a result of his crime, but it could have been avoided.
    I agree wording like that is piss poor and shoty, media sucks today and yes had procedures and protocol been followed it could have been avoided.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #50
    Guru
    soot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,308

    Re: Victims family releases graphic video of his death

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    The family of Marlon Brown, the Fla. man killed after being run down by a police car, has filed a complaint accusing the medical examiner's office of "negligence" and "material misrepresentation of the data" after it ruled the death was an accident

    Officer Harris was fired immediately after his chief viewed the video on May 31, but State's Attorney R.J. Larizza did not indict Harris on charges of vehicular homicide, which in Florida is defined as "the operation of a motor vehicle by another in a reckless manner likely to cause the death of, or great bodily harm to, another."

    Instead, Larizza gave the case to a grand jury, which declined to press charges.
    I know you didn't actually make the statement above but quoting folks when they quote the media gets kinda dicey. I'm technically attributing it to you but we both know it's from the newspapers.

    Anyhow, if that's the legal definition of "vehicular homicide" I'd have a tough time charging a cop with it too, if I was sitting on a grand jury or if I was a prosecutor.

    Actually, here's the law directly from Florida's Statutes webpage:

    782.071 Vehicular homicide.—“Vehicular homicide” is the killing of a human being, or the killing of a viable fetus by any injury to the mother, caused by the operation of a motor vehicle by another in a reckless manner likely to cause the death of, or great bodily harm to, another.
    So yeah, I can't stand behind that charge.

    This is not to defend this cop. He clearly did something wrong, I suspect broke "some" law, violated some regulation or procedure, or at the very least made a horrible mistake that should, at the very least, cost him his job (and it would seem that it has).

    But to tell a cop "it's your job to catch criminals, and we understand that you'll sometimes have to drive in a manner that for any civilian would be considered wildly reckless and potentially dangerous, but we'll train you to do so in a controlled fashion" and then charge him with violating a law that we've already told him he has to break in order to properly do his job is kinda going a bit too far, as far as I'm concerned.

    I think that was the wrong charge to make and it's the wrong charge to be pushing for.

    I don't know Florida law, or "law" in general well enough to offer suggestions as to what would be a better or appropriate charge,
    “Now it is not good for the Christian’s health to hustle the Aryan brown,
    For the Christian riles, and the Aryan smiles and he weareth the Christian down;
    And the end of the fight is a tombstone white with the name of the late deceased,
    And the epitaph drear: “A Fool lies here who tried to hustle the East.”

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •