Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 91

Thread: Why suicide rates among veterans may be more than 22 a day

  1. #41
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Why suicide rates among veterans may be more than 22 a day

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    (CNN) -- Every day, 22 veterans take their own lives. That's a suicide every 65 minutes. As shocking as the number is, it may actually be higher.
    The figure, released by the Department of Veterans Affairs in February, is based on the agency's own data and numbers reported by 21 states from 1999 through 2011. Those states represent about 40% of the U.S. population. The other states, including the two largest (California and Texas) and the fifth-largest (Illinois), did not make data available.
    Who wasn't counted?
    People like Levi Derby, who hanged himself in his grandfather's garage in Illinois on April 5, 2007. He was haunted, says his mother, Judy Caspar, by an Afghan child's death. He had handed the girl a bottle of water, and when she came forward to take it, she stepped on a land mine.

    THIS IS FAILURE ON A CATASTROPHIC LEVEL, but something the hawks care to ignore.


    http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/21/us...day/index.html
    It's their own fault. They stupidly made a decision to sign up and fight for their (corrupt) govt. instead of doing something honorable w/their lives.

    And only a compete moron would believe that his/her govt. would take care of him/her, in any shape or form.

  2. #42
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Why suicide rates among veterans may be more than 22 a day

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    They/we are probably staying away because other than the opening post there hasn't been enough intelligence demonstrated here for us to feed upon.

    Veteran healthcare, or rather the failure of it, has been covered before. No need to keep bitching about it when Obama is in office and the Dems have the Senate. Thankfully, the GOP at least has the house, so we haven't totally defunded veteran care to pay for welfare and medicaid yet.
    It's kind of weird how you say things like that when it is in fact Republicans who keep gutting programs for veterans. The same Republicans who wouldn't pay for treatments to firefighters who developed cancer from all the debris from digging people out of the WTC.

    For example: GOP Senators Block Veterans Jobs Bill | Military.com
    Daily Kos: GOP Voted Against 7 Bills to Help Veterans

    This one, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Yeah, it's Democrats who try to cut funding for veterans.

    GOP Congressman Calls for Massive Cuts in Veterans Funding | Veterans Today
    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    It would be disgusting except that the left, in the form of Obama and Dems, have a lot to do with why those veterans are now bodies instead of living people. The way the left treats the military as a lab for social experiments and the way they threat veterans truly is disgusting.
    "Social experiments"? Isn't that the right wing buzzword for not kicking out gays anymore? Yes, clearly lots of soldiers are dying because the gay soldiers don't have to lie about being gay anymore.

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    True story. Everyone also beats up on the VA for having such a backlog (and it does suck). No one wants to talk about the dirty little original source of that backlog, which is the prevalence of people who get out and try to put in a claim for virtually every major joint, organ, you name it, planning to get free medical care and a monthly check for life.
    Sounds like one more reason to just have UHC and not worry about such complications.

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    BTW: Why are libs always so concerned with vets but very few have ever served ?
    Not true in the slightest. By all means, support this with facts if you can.

    Why don't libs support those while they are serving in uniform instead of proclaiming they support them after they stopped wearing the uniform ?
    Supporting soldiers and supporting war are very different things. We support the soldiers. That's why we don't want to send them off to die for oil money.

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    But the majority serving in the military since the end of the draft do identify themselves as being conservative.
    Polls vary, but it appears to a pretty even 50/50 split. While 50.1% is technically a majority, I don't think you meant by such a slim margin, did you?

    So, back to the OP, there is substantially insufficient care for veterans, and often soldiers are serving many more tours than they did before 2000. We should not be engaged in perpetual warfare, especially not occupying countries. PTSD is a serious problem and needs to be more seriously addressed. Even to those of us who are strongly opposed to the wars that these vets fought in, their desire to serve and their sacrifice absolutely earns them our focus and our efforts to help them, both with healthcare and to integrate back into civilian life.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  3. #43
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Why suicide rates among veterans may be more than 22 a day

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    That's sheer nonsense. Those veterans committed suicide because of what, gays in the military? The "left" treats veterans far better than the "right" does these days.
    Why each individual committed suicide, I cannot tell you without review of each individual case.

    However,

    The basic military training courses have been "dumbed" down. Discipline and preparation for meeting combat needs has been greatly reduced due to the wussification of BMT. Instructors are not allowed to call names, touch or in some cases even yell at trainees. Trainees at one time were constantly pushed towards a breaking point, those who broke never went one, those who didn't found their breaking point moved. This process is similar to the tempering of steal. Poor temper it breaks. Fail to temper your weapons, i.e., the military members correctly, they break. This is, in my opinion, one of the primary causes of the increase in PTSD cases in todays military. We sent them to hell without properly preparing them. This breaking down of the process was begun under the Carter Administration and further watering down was done during the Clinton regime.

    Another prime tool used to prepare troops mentally is the practice of "dehumanizing the enemy". This is the source of constant use of terms like Raghead, Haji, Jap, Nip, Dink, Slope, Kraut, just to name a few historical examples. Political correctness and this liberal need not to be offensive has almost totally stopped this import mental preparation.

    The left has also been the major force behind reducing alcohol use and smoking. Both of which are needed stress relievers in a combat zone. Couple these with Political Correctness ideals that do not allow R&R to places like the Pi or Thailand where the troops can truly unwind and "get their clocks cleaned". Add on the stress of spending that much time away from home and in close contact with members of the opposite sex in a population in their sexual primes and the need to be Politically correct towards those members of the opposite sex. Then add on that magazines, such as Maxim, are prohibited in many areas and the display of "pin up" girls is considered sexual harassment. Many of these factors add up, especially overtime, to great amounts of stress above and beyond just the stress of living and surviving in a combat zone with no relief, and yes, some are going to break.

    Then there is the under staffing of VA facilities for handling things like PTSD. There is also now the added problem of if you go to a VA center MHC you are asked about gun ownership and any mention of suicidal thoughts will get you black listed faster than a felony conviction for future gun ownership. The Obama regime has also now made it to where if a VA hospital finds that you are financially irresponsible and deemed unable to take care of your own finances, you also get black listed from firearm ownership for that. With all this Obama sponsored threat to a persons rights, why would anyone actually go near the place to seek help? Answer, a lot of them don't.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  4. #44
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Why suicide rates among veterans may be more than 22 a day

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Then maybe we shouldn't have so many pointless wars where we need to put these people into harm's way?
    We do not wage pointless wars. Only the govt. does.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Why suicide rates among veterans may be more than 22 a day

    Remember how the Democrat Party paid tribute to the American veterans during the Democrat National Convention back in 2012 ?

    I remember.

    dnc_2012_veteran_honor_russian_ships.jpg

  6. #46
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,903

    Re: Why suicide rates among veterans may be more than 22 a day

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    Democrat Party
    There's no such thing as the "Democrat Party."

    That's certainly a pretty stupid gaffe; however, it's hard to claim that was anything other than an oversight by someone involved in the production.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Why suicide rates among veterans may be more than 22 a day

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post


    Polls vary, but it appears to a pretty even 50/50 split. While 50.1% is technically a majority, I don't think you meant by such a slim margin, did you?

    .
    I have no idea where you came up with that.

    Well lets see, would you prefer a poll, survey or a scientific study ?

    I'm going to keep the scientific study for a future thread. I'll just give you a quick peak, only 3% of the U.S. military Officers Corps identify as being liberal. But that study is for a future thread on the DP.

    How about Military Times 2012 survey of the troops ?

    In general, would you describe your political views as: Percent Total

    Very conservative ██████ 6.84% 54
    Conservative ████████████████████ 38.91% 307
    Moderate ████████████████████ 37.01% 292
    Liberal ██████ 6.72% 53
    Very liberal █ 1.39% 11
    Decline to answer ██████ 9.13% 72

    Response
    In politics today, do you consider yourself a: Percent Total
    Democrat ██████ 9.72% 77
    Independent ███████████████ 27.9% 221
    Libertarian ██████ 5.43% 43
    Republican █████████████████████████ 43.81% 347
    Other ███ 3.79% 30
    Decline to answer ██████ 9.34% 74
    Military Times Poll

    How about a Gallup Poll, one that deals with all vetrans. Are you game ?

    Military Veterans of All Ages Tend to Be More Republican

    Military Veterans of All Ages Tend to Be More Republican

  8. #48
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Why suicide rates among veterans may be more than 22 a day

    Why don't you go back and read the threads on some of those. The bill wasn't killed because it was a Jobs bill, it was killed because of all the attachments made to it, including the Senate Dems military spending bill. If you look up the rest, you will probably find so many BS attachements that more than justify the killing/voting against the bills. Want to see how reps and others would really vote for them, then try them without the crap attached. This **** makes good headlines for those to lazy or stupid to dig into the real facts.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  9. #49
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Why suicide rates among veterans may be more than 22 a day

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    "Social experiments"? Isn't that the right wing buzzword for not kicking out gays anymore? Yes, clearly lots of soldiers are dying because the gay soldiers don't have to lie about being gay anymore.
    I don't know, ask the right wing. Wasn't what I was referring to anyways.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Why suicide rates among veterans may be more than 22 a day

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    There's no such thing as the "Democrat Party."

    That's certainly a pretty stupid gaffe; however, it's hard to claim that was anything other than an oversight by someone involved in the production.
    The DNC seems to be just as incompetent as the Obama administration.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •