Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 329

Thread: Pope Francis: Church can't 'interfere' with gays

  1. #101
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,567

    Re: Pope Francis: Church can't 'interfere' with gays

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Because marriage is one man and one woman. That's why.
    Seeing how you're refusing to address any of my points, I'll just leave you to your bigotry.

    Kind of sad when even the pope says you're wrong.

    Adios.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  2. #102
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,732

    Re: Pope Francis: Church can't 'interfere' with gays

    Is this what it would be like arguing with someone of Sharia Law?
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  3. #103
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,175
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Pope Francis: Church can't 'interfere' with gays

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    There is however evidence to support those books. History books are written based on evidence gathered. If you can show me evidence that you created and patented marriage, I will become a believer and start hating gays right along with you.

    And you didn't answer my question: If you own marriage, why can those from other faiths get married and not just christians? Are you just being gracious by allowing them to get married?
    You're not going to get much out of that. Christians believe that they invented marriage. Vaguely challenging them won't result in anything, because Christians generally don't look at history outside of the Bible and thus don't have enough thought to, e.g., examine Hammurabi's Code. In that case you'd have to point out to them that Hammurabi's Code was written in 1750 BC, and thus we have conclusive evidence that marriage predates monotheism (the idea of a single God) by ~1100 years, Christianity by ~ 1780 years and marriage as a Christian sacrament by ~2850 years. From that we conclude that marriage has never been a Judeo-Christian religious institution, and that Christianity simply cannot have a claim to an institution that predates even their God.

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Because marriage is one man and one woman. That's why.

  4. #104
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Pope Francis: Church can't 'interfere' with gays

    Quote Originally Posted by brothern View Post
    You're not going to get much out of that. Christians believe that they invented marriage. Vaguely challenging them won't result in anything, because Christians generally don't look at history outside of the Bible and thus don't have enough thought to, e.g., examine Hammurabi's Code. In that case you'd have to point out to them that Hammurabi's Code was written in 1750 BC, and thus we have conclusive evidence that marriage predates monotheism (the idea of a single God) by ~1100 years, Christianity by ~ 1780 years and marriage as a Christian sacrament by ~2850 years. From that we conclude that marriage has never been a Judeo-Christian religious institution, and that Christianity simply cannot have a claim to an institution that predates even their God.
    Adam and Eve man, Adam and Eve. Predates ALL other humans.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  5. #105
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,973

    Re: Pope Francis: Church can't 'interfere' with gays

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Adam and Eve man, Adam and Eve. Predates ALL other humans.
    but Lilith was Adam's first wife, according to Judaism.

  6. #106
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,175
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Pope Francis: Church can't 'interfere' with gays

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    You're not going to get much out of that. Christians believe that they invented marriage. Vaguely challenging them won't result in anything, because Christians generally don't look at history outside of the Bible and thus don't have enough thought to, e.g., examine Hammurabi's Code. In that case you'd have to point out to them that Hammurabi's Code was written in 1750 BC, and thus we have conclusive evidence that marriage predates monotheism (the idea of a single God) by ~1100 years, Christianity by ~ 1780 years and marriage as a Christian sacrament by ~2850 years. From that we conclude that marriage has never been a Judeo-Christian religious institution, and that Christianity simply cannot have a claim to an institution that predates even their God.
    Adam and Eve man, Adam and Eve. Predates ALL other humans.
    ... and the earliest Biblical sources still only reach back to ~950 BCE, which is still ~800 years younger than the mention of the lesbians and eunuchs in Hammurabi's Code. Fact is that marriage is not Christian and never has been. It predates recorded history.

  7. #107
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Pope Francis: Church can't 'interfere' with gays

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    but Lilith was Adam's first wife, according to Judaism.
    Judaism also thinks that Jesus wasn't the Messiah.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  8. #108
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,973

    Re: Pope Francis: Church can't 'interfere' with gays

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Judaism also thinks that Jesus wasn't the Messiah.
    and Christianity is simply a brake away sect of Judaism.

  9. #109
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Pope Francis: Church can't 'interfere' with gays

    Quote Originally Posted by brothern View Post
    ... and the earliest Biblical sources still only reach back to ~950 BCE, which is still ~800 years younger than the mention of the lesbians and eunuchs in Hammurabi's Code. Fact is that marriage is not Christian and never has been. It predates recorded history.
    You should probably check your sources on that.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  10. #110
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Pope Francis: Church can't 'interfere' with gays

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    and Christianity is simply a brake away sect of Judaism.
    No it isn't actually.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •