Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Tom DeLay money laundering verdict overturned

  1. #1
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,450
    Blog Entries
    12

    Tom DeLay money laundering verdict overturned


    HOUSTON – A Texas Court of Appeals in Austin has overturned the conviction of former U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, attorney Brian Wice told KVUE sister station KHOU 11 News.

    ...an appeals court said the evidence in the case was "legally insufficient to sustain DeLay’s convictions."


    "I’m very happy about it," DeLay said in Washington Thursday. "I’m so glad they wrote the ruling about it because the ruling says I never should have been charged, much less indicted."
    The court said all judgments against DeLay were reversed, and the former congressman was formally acquitted.

    For both DeLay and his critics, the process was frustratingly slow, due in part to some of the appeals court justices in Austin recusing themselves as well as DeLay’s successful effort to have a judge on the panel removed because of anti-Republican comments she made.



    Read the court's decision to overturn DeLay conviction (PDF)
    Read the court's dissenting opinion (PDF)



    Must have been one long piss-off.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  2. #2
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:06 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,067

    Re: Tom DeLay money laundering verdict overturned

    File this under "duh". It was ridiculous from the get-go.

  3. #3
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Tom DeLay money laundering verdict overturned

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Must have been one long piss-off
    .



    I never did like Tom Delay.

    I also never did like the idea of convicting anyone on insufficient evidence.

    If they can do it to Tom Delay, they can do it to anyone.

  4. #4
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,348

    Re: Tom DeLay money laundering verdict overturned

    To me, I always thought the prosecution of Tom Delay was political.
    I am glad the court overturned it.
    Tom Delay might have been a hard nosed A$$, but he was our hard nosed A$$.

  5. #5
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Tom DeLay money laundering verdict overturned

    I knew from the start that the case against him was political bull ****. I am glad he is exonerated.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #6
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Tom DeLay money laundering verdict overturned

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I knew from the start that the case against him was political bull ****. I am glad he is exonerated.
    Gee, what a surprise, those that posted articles after articles condemning Delay and trumpeting his conviction got their time in the sun, got their publicity, and now like with all other liberal failures go silent when their claims are reversed or proven false.

  7. #7
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,450
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Tom DeLay money laundering verdict overturned

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    File this under "duh". It was ridiculous from the get-go.
    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    I never did like Tom Delay.

    I also never did like the idea of convicting anyone on insufficient evidence.

    If they can do it to Tom Delay, they can do it to anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by longview View Post
    To me, I always thought the prosecution of Tom Delay was political.
    I am glad the court overturned it.
    Tom Delay might have been a hard nosed A$$, but he was our hard nosed A$$.
    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I knew from the start that the case against him was political bull ****. I am glad he is exonerated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Gee, what a surprise, those that posted articles after articles condemning Delay and trumpeting his conviction got their time in the sun, got their publicity, and now like with all other liberal failures go silent when their claims are reversed or proven false.
    They got what they wanted... a leading republican to resign. Wasn't his resignation also due to some idiotic rule by the Republicans that those under investigation or some such nonsense had to resign?

    Where does he go to get his good name back... and then there are the likes of Rangel who just keep on waltz'in.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  8. #8
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,791

    Re: Tom DeLay money laundering verdict overturned

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Gee, what a surprise, those that posted articles after articles condemning Delay and trumpeting his conviction got their time in the sun, got their publicity, and now like with all other liberal failures go silent when their claims are reversed or proven false.
    What about people who never paid attention to the case in the first place?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Tom DeLay money laundering verdict overturned

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    They got what they wanted... a leading republican to resign. Wasn't his resignation also due to some idiotic rule by the Republicans that those under investigation or some such nonsense had to resign?

    Where does he go to get his good name back... and then there are the likes of Rangel who just keep on waltz'in.
    It really is a shame that politics have gotten to this point. The only real answer seems to be term limits which reduces the power of politicians but to answer your question, Democrats got what they wanted and aren't concerned about his reputation or getting his name back. That is sad.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Tom DeLay money laundering verdict overturned

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    What about people who never paid attention to the case in the first place?
    Those wouldn't be many here in this forum most of whom jumped up and down celebrating the Delay charges. They got what they wanted and now are no where to be found. You see there are no such thing as consequences for making invalid charges and destroying someone else's reputation.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •