Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 131

Thread: Gas prices set record: 1,000 days above $3 a gallon

  1. #71
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,986

    Re: Gas prices set record: 1,000 days above $3 a gallon

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    You know, I appreciate your concern for me. I'll take your recomendation under advisement.
    You're welcome. Best of luck on your decision.

  2. #72
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,894
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gas prices set record: 1,000 days above $3 a gallon

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    While in retrospect, it is fairly apparent that the President does not control gas prices, I can see why Bush, who was closely linked to the oil profiteers, was suspect at the time. The effort to blame Obama follows the same mentality of those who claim Bush was behind 9/11. Very, very unlikely.

    Gas prices, while not cheap, aren't that high in relativity to other commodities. How is it that $35 an ounce gold is now $1300? A nickel cup of coffee is now $2.39? It's just inflation, not a sinister plot.
    It's BHO's overall wretched economic management that makes him suspect. Permanent high unemployment and responsibility for 36% of the national debt throughout our entire history: more national debt than any other POTUS.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  3. #73
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Gas prices set record: 1,000 days above $3 a gallon

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    It's BHO's overall wretched economic management that makes him suspect. Permanent high unemployment and responsibility for 36% of the national debt throughout our entire history: more national debt than any other POTUS.
    My post was hardly laden with praise for Fearless Leader. We're specifically discussing the retail price of gasoline. Are you asserting that Obama has directly influenced the price of gas? Because that specifically is what I was "debating". I even went out of my way to state that Bush had been FALSELY accused of manipulating gas prices.
    likewise.

  4. #74
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,894
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gas prices set record: 1,000 days above $3 a gallon

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    My post was hardly laden with praise for Fearless Leader. We're specifically discussing the retail price of gasoline. Are you asserting that Obama has directly influenced the price of gas? Because that specifically is what I was "debating". I even went out of my way to state that Bush had been FALSELY accused of manipulating gas prices.
    likewise.
    I have no brief for either GWB or BHO. My only point was that BHO's poor performance -- dramatically poorer than GWB's -- renders him vulnerable to popular suspicion.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  5. #75
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Gas prices set record: 1,000 days above $3 a gallon

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    I have no brief for either GWB or BHO. My only point was that BHO's poor performance -- dramatically poorer than GWB's -- renders him vulnerable to popular suspicion.
    Understanding that I have no use for Bush or Obama, can you tell me what Bush actions (and results) were "better" than Obama's? I'm interested specifically in "dramatically different" policies and results thereof.

  6. #76
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,894
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gas prices set record: 1,000 days above $3 a gallon

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Understanding that I have no use for Bush or Obama, can you tell me what Bush actions (and results) were "better" than Obama's? I'm interested specifically in "dramatically different" policies and results thereof.
    Until very recently, no day under BHO had unemployment as low as any day under GWB. Even now, the average unemployment number is a yawning gap.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  7. #77
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:34 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,888

    Re: Gas prices set record: 1,000 days above $3 a gallon

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    So then you blame Bush for the gas prices when they skyrocketed to right?
    I don't remember blaming neither Bush nor Obama for skyrocketing gas prices. Its simply supply, demand, speculation, and taxes.

    Only thing the government can directly control is the taxes and what we can supply as a raw product. We have supply as a natural resource, and we should sell it while its profitable. Will that bring gas prices down? Probably not. Would it make the US a net exporter and swing the trade deficit to a surplus? Yep.

    When the demand comes back down, the government can in turn start purchasing that supply for the reserves. Its the best use for that resource that is currently just sitting there, or being pilfered by angled wells in the Gulf.

  8. #78
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Gas prices set record: 1,000 days above $3 a gallon

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Until very recently, no day under BHO had unemployment as low as any day under GWB. Even now, the average unemployment number is a yawning gap.
    The reason unemployment was low under GWB was directly and specifically connected to the housing bubble which crested and popped during his term. You don't have to be a genius to hammer nails into wood. Homes were built by the MILLIONS. But it was a false economy and it no longer exists. In the meantime, both outsourcing and automation have increased in the last few years and this can not be linked to Obama. Is he a dweeb? Yes. Is he the cause of the job losses? No. I don't think he is. Is there anything he can do about it? Yes, but I doubt it would gain any support. My proposal (I'm sure you've seen me say this before) is to eliminate corporate taxes on companies that produce domestically ands raise rates on companies that outsource more than 10% of their labor. For some reason my letters to Washington keep coming back with "return to sender. address unknown. No such number, no such zone.".

  9. #79
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,894
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gas prices set record: 1,000 days above $3 a gallon

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    The reason unemployment was low under GWB was directly and specifically connected to the housing bubble which crested and popped during his term. You don't have to be a genius to hammer nails into wood. Homes were built by the MILLIONS. But it was a false economy and it no longer exists. In the meantime, both outsourcing and automation have increased in the last few years and this can not be linked to Obama. Is he a dweeb? Yes. Is he the cause of the job losses? No. I don't think he is. Is there anything he can do about it? Yes, but I doubt it would gain any support. My proposal (I'm sure you've seen me say this before) is to eliminate corporate taxes on companies that produce domestically ands raise rates on companies that outsource more than 10% of their labor. For some reason my letters to Washington keep coming back with "return to sender. address unknown. No such number, no such zone.".
    First, I acknowledge and honor the Elvis reference ("Return to Sender") and then I must say that your assertion is unpersuasive. There was much more to the GWB economy than the "housing bubble." GWB oversaw prosperity; BHO has not.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  10. #80
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Gas prices set record: 1,000 days above $3 a gallon

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Understanding that I have no use for Bush or Obama, can you tell me what Bush actions (and results) were "better" than Obama's? I'm interested specifically in "dramatically different" policies and results thereof.
    Sure, when Bush announced that he would start opening up lands for exploration and drilling, the price dropped by over $6 per barrel, and continued to do so until the gas price when Bush left office was $1.68 per gallon, since then under Obama's energy policies prices have risen above $3.00 for the longest stretch in history...One of those policy changes was to reverse Bush's pledge to open up all land to exploration, and drilling.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •