Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 53

Thread: Diversity trumps racism on Twitter after historic Miss America victory

  1. #31
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Diversity trumps racism...for some

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Perhaps, but the first Asian American (Filipina) won Miss America in 2001, can you tell me when the first Italian American, the first Irish American, the first German American or the first Swedish American won Miss America?
    Respectfully T, what is your point?
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Diversity trumps racism...for some

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Yeah, you're right. Racism IS dead.

    I loathe this "competition" but come-on. She is a beautiful woman and evidently pretty classy because she chose to rise above and let it go.


    Nina Davuluri … happens to be of Indian descent. In fact, she's the first Indian-American to be crowned Miss America,” Leslie Bentz reported for CNN.com. “But the tweets that followed the 2014 pageant in Atlantic City on Sunday night didn't focus on how it's the second consecutive year that a Miss New York has taken the crown, or about the judge's questions (including inquiries about Miley Cyrus and Syria). They were about Davuluri's heritage.”

    On the feminist blog Jezebel, Laura Beck wrote, “Racists got so mad, they started mixing up Indian, Indian-American, Arab, Muslim, and everything in between. It's (literarily) a most impressive display of dumb mixed with intolerance and even more stupidity.”

    some users tweeted that Davuluri was not ‘American enough’ to win the title while others went as far as to say she ‘looks like a terrorist

    ...after the dust settled a significant contingent of Twitter users voiced support for her.


    It is however, encouraging to hear that so many supported her in response to the racist deluge.

    Diversity trumps racism on Twitter after historic Miss America victory | Deseret News
    I think you bring up a good point. A minority of people with nothing to say tend to scream quite loudly. Its best we just ignore them.

  3. #33
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,691

    Re: Diversity trumps racism...for some

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Respectfully T, what is your point?
    That we are getting rediculous with "diversity" claims or historic firsts. What is next the first tattooed, amputee and special olympian Miss America?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #34
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Diversity trumps racism...for some

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    That we are getting rediculous with "diversity" claims or historic firsts. What is next the first tattooed, amputee and special olympian Miss America?
    The saturation serves a greater purpose though. We get used to it and it becomes more common place in our minds. As it should. I can understand how one might feel like the issue is being crammed down their throat, and honestly I have felt that way myself. I wondered why though. I had to look at myself to answer that question. Which sounds preachy, don't mean it that way. It's just what I felt the situation required.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  5. #35
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: Diversity trumps racism...for some

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Yeah, you're right. Racism IS dead.

    I loathe this "competition" but come-on. She is a beautiful woman and evidently pretty classy because she chose to rise above and let it go.


    Nina Davuluri … happens to be of Indian descent. In fact, she's the first Indian-American to be crowned Miss America,” Leslie Bentz reported for CNN.com. “But the tweets that followed the 2014 pageant in Atlantic City on Sunday night didn't focus on how it's the second consecutive year that a Miss New York has taken the crown, or about the judge's questions (including inquiries about Miley Cyrus and Syria). They were about Davuluri's heritage.”

    On the feminist blog Jezebel, Laura Beck wrote, “Racists got so mad, they started mixing up Indian, Indian-American, Arab, Muslim, and everything in between. It's (literarily) a most impressive display of dumb mixed with intolerance and even more stupidity.”

    some users tweeted that Davuluri was not ‘American enough’ to win the title while others went as far as to say she ‘looks like a terrorist

    ...after the dust settled a significant contingent of Twitter users voiced support for her.


    It is however, encouraging to hear that so many supported her in response to the racist deluge.

    Diversity trumps racism on Twitter after historic Miss America victory | Deseret News


    mentally retarded bigots exists, this is just proof

    time, education and resistance to their intolerance is all that will slowly work at their numbers, but their will always be some
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #36
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,705

    Diversity trumps racism...for some

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    That we are getting rediculous with "diversity" claims or historic firsts. What is next the first tattooed, amputee and special olympian Miss America?
    Actually, this one would have seen a potential winner for those with disabilities.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Diversity trumps racism...for some

    Ah who the hell cares. It amazes me how anyone can politicize a beauty/popularity contest. Doesn't matter what race/nationality she is - I'd go balls-deep on her. All that matters.

  8. #38
    Educator
    rjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:12 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,139

    Re: Diversity trumps racism...for some

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I know racists and other nutbags exist. However, APACHE is arguing that she has a liberal body. I didn't see him say anything about her heritage.

    Lighten up a bit. I think he may have been referring to this thread:
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/sex-an...g-bananas.html
    Time flies like an arrow; fruitflies like a banana. - Groucho

  9. #39
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,691

    Re: Diversity trumps racism...for some

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    The saturation serves a greater purpose though. We get used to it and it becomes more common place in our minds. As it should. I can understand how one might feel like the issue is being crammed down their throat, and honestly I have felt that way myself. I wondered why though. I had to look at myself to answer that question. Which sounds preachy, don't mean it that way. It's just what I felt the situation required.
    I think that not mentioning it personally, would have been far classier. No harm in answering a question about ethnicity, race or family heritage, should it ever be asked, but blurting it out as the most important thing about your selection is tasteless. Perhaps the next Miss America can simply say thank you to America and that they are honored to have been chosen.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #40
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: Diversity trumps racism...for some

    52 photos and not 1 bathing suit, I mean wtf...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •