Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 115

Thread: Syria: nearly half rebel fighters are jihadists or hardline Islamists

  1. #101
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,359

    Re: Syria: nearly half rebel fighters are jihadists or hardline Islamists

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    Wanna find a quote where I said they were lying?
    You claim that the UN did not give specifics about the rocket type. CNN and the NYT claim otherwise. Thus, you claim they are lying.

    And you do this based on a partial reading of the report. That's pathetic.

  2. #102
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,251

    Re: Syria: nearly half rebel fighters are jihadists or hardline Islamists

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Not really. Now your saying that chemical weapons were fired at Assad's forces! Russia is the deciding factor behind president Assad turning over chemical weapons. He doesn't need them anyway and can't maintain Chinese and Russian support if he used them.
    But why would he give his stockpile up so easily if the enemy he is struggling to control are firing chemcial weapons at his own people? Makes no sense.

    Fact is he jumped all over Russias offer because the game was nearly up and it was his last hand to play.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  3. #103
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,957
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Syria: nearly half rebel fighters are jihadists or hardline Islamists

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    You claim that the UN did not give specifics about the rocket type. CNN and the NYT claim otherwise. Thus, you claim they are lying.

    And you do this based on a partial reading of the report. That's pathetic.
    No, I stated the following:

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    The information about that specific type of rocket has not been released. All we know is about SSMs generally.
    When I said "information about the specific type of rocket," I meant in terms of like was it an RPG or what.

    EDIT: I also said

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    All I am saying is that there is evidence that both sides have SSMs. In regards to types of SSMs, they have not been specified.
    The type of SSM means what kind it is.

    SURFACE TO SURFACE MISSILE DEFINITION AND TYPES | newspaceandaircraft.com FEEL AVIATION
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  4. #104
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,359

    Re: Syria: nearly half rebel fighters are jihadists or hardline Islamists

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    When I said "information about the specific type of rocket," I meant in terms of like was it an RPG or what.
    Ok, then you have no idea what you're talking about.

    The UN report specified the type of surface-to-surface rocket used. Specifically, through the size and shape of the munition. The rebels are not known to have those rockets nor the training or ability to use them.

  5. #105
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Syria: nearly half rebel fighters are jihadists or hardline Islamists

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    But why would he give his stockpile up so easily if the enemy he is struggling to control are firing chemcial weapons at his own people? Makes no sense.

    Fact is he jumped all over Russias offer because the game was nearly up and it was his last hand to play.
    It seems to me to make sense that the chemical weapons are useless to president Assad. He needs Chinese and Russian support and can't hold it if he's going to be launching chemical weapons on his own people. He also enjoys, and needs to maintain the support of his own people which it would be counterproductive to attack.

  6. #106
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,251

    Re: Syria: nearly half rebel fighters are jihadists or hardline Islamists

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It seems to me to make sense that the chemical weapons are useless to president Assad. He needs Chinese and Russian support and can't hold it if he's going to be launching chemical weapons on his own people. He also enjoys, and needs to maintain the support of his own people which it would be counterproductive to attack.
    They are useless to him now I agree but only because the spotlight is on him and evidence is mounting up. Its a smart move by Russia and a lucky esacpe fro Assad.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  7. #107
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Syria: nearly half rebel fighters are jihadists or hardline Islamists

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    They are useless to him now I agree but only because the spotlight is on him and evidence is mounting up. Its a smart move by Russia and a lucky esacpe fro Assad.
    That I agree with. And John Kerry made the offer while in London and it was probably unscripted, I'm sure Putin knew that and he seized the moment. But such indiscriminate weapons need to be cached and destroyed anyway, and if it avoids a US attack on Syria, what can be the downside.

  8. #108
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Syria: nearly half rebel fighters are jihadists or hardline Islamists

    For those who are interested, the UN report reveals that "surface to surface rockets" were utilized in the attack (pp.4-5 of the report/pp.7-8 of the .pdf). Greater detail is provided in Appendix 5 (pp.18-23 report/pp.20-26 .pdf).

    https://s3.amazonaws.com/unoda-web/w...estigation.pdf

    It should also be noted that the report holds some hints as to whom was responsible (photos of rocket pieces). It also notes, with respect to the Ein Tarma site in the eastern suburbs of Damascus that the rocket had a trajectory of 105 degrees (east-southeast trajectory). News accounts had reported that Syrian armed forces were in the mountains shelling that suburb. It would be plausible that a rocket with the estimated trajectory would have originated from that area.

    My view remains that it is very likely that a unit of the Syrian army was responsible. That does not mean that President Assad ordered it. A commander with tactical authority could well have ordered the attack independent of President Assad. There is insufficient public evidence to pin down whether the Syrian President had ordered the attack. Doing so when UN inspectors were on the ground investigating some earlier attacks would have been irrational. Even U.S. authorities noted that there was some degree of uncertainty.

  9. #109
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Syria: nearly half rebel fighters are jihadists or hardline Islamists

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Doing a little editing for Assad?





    Just joking!
    Yes, you are very funny.

    There are too many threads about this. This Syria stuff needs to have it's own forum. I got confused and posted you a link to this thread in another thread because I had forgotten we were also discussing it in this thread.

  10. #110
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,251

    Re: Syria: nearly half rebel fighters are jihadists or hardline Islamists

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    That I agree with. And John Kerry made the offer while in London and it was probably unscripted, I'm sure Putin knew that and he seized the moment. But such indiscriminate weapons need to be cached and destroyed anyway, and if it avoids a US attack on Syria, what can be the downside.
    I guess the downside would be if a couple of WMD's slipped through the net and remained in Assads hands.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •