Page 49 of 77 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 490 of 765

Thread: Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69, 700]

  1. #481
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    re: Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69, 700]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Last i read, he was originally from NY, was stationed in Texas for a time, and just recently returned from Japan. But you know how details are constantly changing with these incidents
    Probably drank too many big sodas.....
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  2. #482
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69, 700]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    AND he could have easily purchased any weapon he wanted off the black market. Do you deny that?
    Yes. You seem to have this idea that black market guns are easily accessible and offer and endless choice in armament, which I see absolutely no evidence for. Second, if the black market was so easily accessible and convenient, then why didn't he just go buy an AR there, as opposed to settling for a shotgun?


    You keep going on about this mythical gun market in the sky, but present no evidence for it. It's just as silly as your contention that gun laws do not restrict access (as you ironically complain about gun laws because they would restrict your access. These arguments do not help your cause. They just make you look completely out of touch

  3. #483
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,565

    re: Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69, 700]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Yes. You seem to have this idea that black market guns are easily accessible and offer and endless choice in armament, which I see absolutely no evidence for. Second, if the black market was so easily accessible and convenient, then why didn't he just go buy an AR there, as opposed to settling for a shotgun?


    You keep going on about this mythical gun market in the sky, but present no evidence for it. It's just as silly as your contention that gun laws do not restrict access (as you ironically complain about gun laws because they would restrict your access. These arguments do not help your cause. They just make you look completely out of touch
    Private Gun Sale Loophole Creates Invisible Firearms Market, Prompts Calls For Reform

    Both incidents point to a major loophole in the nation's system of regulating firearms, experts say: Private parties can buy and sell guns in many parts of the country with little or no scrutiny from state and federal authorities. Nearly 40 percent of gun transactions in America occur through so-called private party sales, creating a secondary firearms market that is largely invisible.
    Mythical?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  4. #484
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,633

    Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69]

    That's not the black market.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  5. #485
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,565

    re: Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69, 700]

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    That's not the black market.
    Technically, no, it's not as it is perfectly legal. It does, however, show how easy it is to buy a gun without any background check or any sort of oversight.

    Gun control laws, like drug laws, simply can't be enforced.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #486
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69, 700]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Mythical?
    So your evidence of this vast and easily accessible illegal gun market is to cite legal loopholes in modern firearm regulations? Think about that for a minute then get back to me

  7. #487
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69, 700]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Technically, no, it's not as it is perfectly legal. It does, however, show how easy it is to buy a gun without any background check or any sort of oversight.
    Which is a consequence of loose regulation. Hardly something you want to be citing while making an argument for the current status queue

    Gun control laws, like drug laws, simply can't be enforced.
    So your argument is that weak gun regulations fueling the a market of shady legal transactions is proof that gun regulations don't work?


    How does that even begin to make sense to you?

  8. #488
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    re: Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69, 700]

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Yes. Look away. Move along. Nothing to see here! (Except we need more guns. And FREEDOM!)
    Who said that?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #489
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    re: Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69, 700]

    The black market...
    Mexican marines seize 900 guns
    https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...63.e7LC_T6l-JA

    And ANYONE that buys guns at a gunshow with the intent to sell to criminals would absolutely be considered a part of the black market.

  10. #490
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,565

    re: Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69, 700]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Which is a consequence of loose regulation. Hardly something you want to be citing while making an argument for the current status queue



    So your argument is that weak gun regulations fueling the a market of shady legal transactions is proof that gun regulations don't work?


    How does that even begin to make sense to you?
    Status queue?
    Am I in line?

    It makes sense because anyone who wants to get a gun can get one.

    Here's some more, to add to Vancemack's examples:

    Ask a cop on the beat how criminals get guns and you're likely to hear this hard boiled response: "They steal them." But this street wisdom is wrong, according to one frustrated Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) agent who is tired of battling this popular misconception. An expert on crime gun patterns, ATF agent Jay Wachtel says that most guns used in crimes are not stolen out of private gun owners' homes and cars. "Stolen guns account for only about 10% to 15% of guns used in crimes," Wachtel said. Because when they want guns they want them immediately the wait is usually too long for a weapon to be stolen and find its way to a criminal.

    In fact, there are a number of sources that allow guns to fall into the wrong hands, with gun thefts at the bottom of the list.
    linkfrontline: hot guns: "How Criminals Get Guns" | PBS

    What’s not well-known is that the vast majority of the approximately 12,000 annual gun murders and 66,000 non-fatal shootings are committed by people who have no legal right to a gun. How do criminals and other prohibited people get guns so easily? Through a highly efficient, organized, and profitable business of gun trafficking that moves guns from legal manufacture to dealers to criminals and young people who can’t buy guns legally.
    Virtually every gun starts out as a legally manufactured product, but the
    Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) points to three common ways guns move from legal distribution channels to the criminal market:
    Corrupt federally licensed gun dealers: Federally licensed gun dealers send more guns to the criminal market than any other single source. Nearly 60% of the guns used in crime are traced back to a small number—just 1.2%—of crooked gun dealers. Corrupt dealers frequently have high numbers of missing guns, in many cases because they’re selling guns “off the books” to private sellers and criminals. In 2005, the ATF examined 3,083 gun dealers and found 12,274 “missing” firearms.
    Straw purchasing: Straw purchasing is the most common way criminals get guns, accounting for almost 50% of trafficking investigations. A straw purchaser is someone with a clean record who buys guns on behalf of someone legally prohibited from possessing guns. Straw purchasers are often the friends, relatives, spouses or girlfriends of prohibited purchasers. The two Columbine High School shooters recruited friends to buy guns for them at Colorado gun shows. One of the buyers admitted she would not have bought the guns if she had been required to submit to a background check.
    Gun Shows and private gun sales: Gun shows have been called “Tupperware parties for criminals” because they attract large numbers of prohibited buyers. A loophole in federal law allows unlicensed or “private” sellers, many of whom work out of gun shows, to lawfully sell or transfer guns without conducting a criminal background check. Gun show dealers have been known to advertise to criminals with signs that read “no background checks required here.”
    link to that one

    There's a lot more, of course, but I'll save those for later. I'm sure you'll come back with something else.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

Page 49 of 77 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •