Page 48 of 77 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
Results 471 to 480 of 765

Thread: Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69, 700]

  1. #471
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,679

    re: Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69, 700]

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Hmmm. Just heard that the gunman tried to buy an AR-15, but was prevented from buying one because of a LAW in Virginia, which prevents out of state buyers from buying hanguns and assault rifles. So he settled for a shotgun...if think this was much less lethal.

    I guess tougher gun laws in this case DID prevent him from purchasing a weapon. How 'retarded'.

    I expect lots of crying and blustering now.

    State Law Prevented Sale of Assault Rifle to Suspect Last Week, Officials Say - NYTimes.com
    you pretty much disqualify your posts from ever being taken seriously when you call an AR 15 an assault rifle. FEDERAL LAW prevents someone from buying a handgun in a state other than their residence.



  2. #472
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,679

    re: Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69, 700]

    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    Cars and swimming pools are not designed to kill like guns are.
    yet they do kill more meaning they are more dangerous because they kill without any deliberate intent on the part of the owners to do so.

    your argument is specious



  3. #473
    Sage
    gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    uk
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,365

    re: Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69, 700]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Yes, and proven untrue...Do you have evidence that the weapons used were recently purchased?
    When he purchased his weapons is immaterial. What should be more worrying is the fact his weapons were not confiscated on health grounds. Again, highlighting the ease of gun ownership.

    [QUOTE=TurtleDude;1062328230]
    perhaps, my lean is to freedom meaning I won't find convincing even arguments that can prove we can gain more safety by decreasing freedom. However, the anti gun scum in office has not come close to even proving their schemes make us safer. I also tend to me completely truthful when it comes to facts
    Unconstrained freedom leads to anarchy, no wait, Libertarianism wants state 'protection' but little else. Often, to simply protect those that have . Facts that suit your dogma, yes. On that note, what facts are we discussing?

    such as noting that the stuff scumbags call "assault weapons" are rarely used in crime (which really doesn't matter-criminal misuse does not proffer a strong argument against prohibiting lawful ownership or use)
    I'm not for any total ban (on most weaponry), for most people. But I am for a challenge on the 'right to bear arms' on many levels.

    Since most anti gunners' positions are based on dishonesty (pretending crime control rather than harassing lawful ownership is their motivation), the rest of their arguments tend to be easily destroyed.
    I think most arguments are for finding a reason why America keeps suffering these 'mass shootings'. That's got to be something we can agree on, surly?

    Paul
    RIP THE EUROPEAN FORUM 2016

  4. #474
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    re: Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69, 700]

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Hmmm. Just heard that the gunman tried to buy an AR-15, but was prevented from buying one because of a LAW in Virginia, which prevents out of state buyers from buying hanguns and assault rifles. So he settled for a shotgun...if think this was much less lethal.

    I guess tougher gun laws in this case DID prevent him from purchasing a weapon. How 'retarded'.

    I expect lots of crying and blustering now.

    State Law Prevented Sale of Assault Rifle to Suspect Last Week, Officials Say - NYTimes.com
    Which also goes to show you that an assault rifle ban would do nothing. This guy didn't have an assault rifle yet found a way to kill 12 people. Would it have been worse? Idk. I can say that the shotgun, in the type of environment he was using it, was probably more deadly than an assault rifle would have been.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  5. #475
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    re: Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69, 700]

    [QUOTE=gunner;1062329899]When he purchased his weapons is immaterial. What should be more worrying is the fact his weapons were not confiscated on health grounds. Again, highlighting the ease of gun ownership.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post

    Unconstrained freedom leads to anarchy, no wait, Libertarianism wants state 'protection' but little else. Often, to simply protect those that have . Facts that suit your dogma, yes. On that note, what facts are we discussing?



    I'm not for any total ban (on most weaponry), for most people. But I am for a challenge on the 'right to bear arms' on many levels.



    I think most arguments are for finding a reason why America keeps suffering these 'mass shootings'. That's got to be something we can agree on, surly?

    Paul
    So what do you propose we do about the mental health issue? Should we have a national, Federally run database that all doctors report mentally unstable patients they deem unfit to buy firearms to?
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  6. #476
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,611

    Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post

    BTW, the only reason why he was turned down was because he was from out of state. AND he could have easily purchased any weapon he wanted off the black market. Do you deny that?

    Moving goalposts.

    HE DIDNT purchase a black market weapon and there is no indication he would have.

    You said laws don't stop anyone from getting guns. This very case demonstrated that a law prevented this gunman from getting a weapon and he had to settle for a lesser one. Someone is probably alive right now because of this law.

    Yes, you can buy things off the black market. That doesn't mean you throw your hands up snd pretend laws are ineffective.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  7. #477
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,611

    Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69]

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you pretty much disqualify your posts from ever being taken seriously when you call an AR 15 an assault rifle. FEDERAL LAW prevents someone from buying a handgun in a state other than their residence.
    In other words, you don't like the root of the argument, so you'll dismiss it for technical reasons.

    Sharp.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  8. #478
    Sage
    gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    uk
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,365

    re: Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69, 700]

    [QUOTE=MarineTpartier;1062330029]
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    When he purchased his weapons is immaterial. What should be more worrying is the fact his weapons were not confiscated on health grounds. Again, highlighting the ease of gun ownership.


    So what do you propose we do about the mental health issue? Should we have a national, Federally run database that all doctors report mentally unstable patients they deem unfit to buy firearms to?
    Would that be such a bad policy?

    Paul
    RIP THE EUROPEAN FORUM 2016

  9. #479
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: Active gunmen in US navy Yard

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    You know, I'm big enough to admit when I don't know something just as you were with your post. And this is one of those instances. I don't know. The only thing I can say is refer to my signature line and read the words of the great Thomas Jefferson. I think that may be all we can do. And that sucks.
    Actually, I think you have a good point. If it is not possible to screen out the dangerously mentally ill without infringing on the liberty of the rest of us, then we'd be better off to simply live with the mentally ill.

    As for bringing a shotgun on to a Naval base, a metal detector could have prevented that, couldn't it?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  10. #480
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    re: Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69, 700]

    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post

    Would that be such a bad policy?

    Paul
    I expected you to answer that way. No use in debating the point. I will say this though. Some of us don't like the gov't knowing every single thing about us. Trust me, from someone that the gov't does know everything about, it's not fun. You have no idea what it feels like for the gov't to totally involved in everything you do. To know that your political beliefs have to be muzzled in every facet of life minus anonymous forums such as this. That reporting anything that may be misconstrued as mentally unstable (like PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury, etc) is not smart for your job security. That you have to adhere to a certain body type and if not, you are discharged/lose benefits/medical care is tailored. You have to go to certain schools to be promoted. Etc, etc. Before you think this is a woe is me post, it's not. There are many good things about the military. I only say all of that to say this. I volunteer for this. I know what to expect. I know I am doing something for the defense of our nation by sacrificing some of my freedoms. Only .5% of our country sees fit to volunteer for this at any one time. What people such as yourself believe is that EVERYONE should be held to standards like this. Everyone should be in shape and, if not, the gov't should intercede. Everyone should register in a national database like we do if they report mental health issues. Everyone should get an education. That's not how it works. Not everyone wants the gov't to know their business. Not everyone cares if they are fit. At least not enough to adhere to the standards we do. Not everyone wants to go to college. Not everyone is capable of completing college. What's good for you isn't good for everyone. That's what you and people like you need to realize.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

Page 48 of 77 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •