Page 39 of 77 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 765

Thread: Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69, 700]

  1. #381
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69, 700]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Buncha mother****ers killed with edged weapons...just sayin
    Yeah, but they likely were using swords, as opposed to guns because guns were not available. This would also explain why you no longer see armies employing swords as their main weapon in the modern world (at least by choice)

  2. #382
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69, 700]

    [QUOTE=j-mac;1062325892]Combat has changed over time due to technology, but in close combat, the blade becomes as important as the gun.[quote]

    No, even in close combat scenarios the choice is still a gun. Case in point, when the seal team entered OBL's compound, they didn't break out a bunch of swords and axes



    Let's not travel down the road of assigning what other people say in your mind shall we?
    No, that is clearly the logical implication of your argument. That if an item is responsible for more deaths (though we would need to ignore the hand gun figure for it to even be valid) then it is more deadly. Well, in your chart, "hands and fists" are responsible for more deaths than shotguns.

    So by your logic, those hands and fists are more deadly

    Stick to what is actually said, and I did not say that knives, hands, or fists are more deadly than a shotgun. Just that they are used more in murders than rifles...That is a fact, backed up by FBI stats.
    No, you directly replied to a post where I was pointing out guns are more deadly with knives with "Then you would lose..."

  3. #383
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    re: Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69, 700]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No, even in close combat scenarios the choice is still a gun. Case in point, when the seal team entered OBL's compound, they didn't break out a bunch of swords and axes

    No, that is clearly the logical implication of your argument. That if an item is responsible for more deaths (though we would need to ignore the hand gun figure for it to even be valid) then it is more deadly. Well, in your chart, "hands and fists" are responsible for more deaths than shotguns.

    So by your logic, those hands and fists are more deadly



    No, you directly replied to a post where I was pointing out guns are more deadly with knives with "Then you would lose..."
    *Sigh* I do remember seeing on, I think it was the history channel, where they tackled this question of which was more deadly....They did a test with experts using one person with a holstered gun, and the other with a sheathed knife....The knife won 9 times out of 10....

    Now if you really want to break it down to sheer killing force of a bullet traveling at the speeds a bullet travels, as compared to the force of a knife in different areas of impact/entry, then it is clear that a bullet does more damage. But any argument on a semantical level that deep in is, as far as I am concerned, useless.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #384
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69, 700]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    *Sigh* I do remember seeing on, I think it was the history channel, where they tackled this question of which was more deadly....They did a test with experts using one person with a holstered gun, and the other with a sheathed knife....The knife won 9 times out of 10....

    Now if you really want to break it down to sheer killing force of a bullet traveling at the speeds a bullet travels, as compared to the force of a knife in different areas of impact/entry, then it is clear that a bullet does more damage. But any argument on a semantical level that deep in is, as far as I am concerned, useless.
    yeah, in certain situations I'm sure a knife would be the more deadly weapon (I said as much in my original post ...) but we are clearly speaking in general here.

  5. #385
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69, 700]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No, removing someone's ability to acquire a gun legally would clearly limit their ability to buy guns.
    Are you even from this country? You are wrong. Criminals can obtain guns even more easily without any background checks off the streets. People with records and people who are planning on committing crimes usually use the black market route to get their weapons. How silly of you to suggest otherwise. A criminal will not buy a gun the legal route because it can be traced back to him.

    Read and educate yourself on the matter.

    How Criminals Get Guns: In Short, All Too Easily - New York Times

  6. #386
    Guru
    Diogenes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    10-11-13 @ 06:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,980

    re: Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69, 700]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Is it just me, or is there a lot more (D)'s than (R)'s in there?
    It's not just you.
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
    - Abraham Lincoln

  7. #387
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    re: Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69, 700]

    Paranoia + Insomnia + Hearing Voices.

    The Trifecta for a shooter.

    DC gunman was suffering host of mental issues prior to shooting, report says | Fox News
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  8. #388
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69, 700]

    [QUOTE=ChrisL;1062326021]Are you even from this country?[quote]

    Yes.

    You are wrong.
    No, you're probably just misinterpreting the comment

  9. #389
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,360

    re: Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69, 700]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Yeah, but they likely were using swords, as opposed to guns because guns were not available. This would also explain why you no longer see armies employing swords as their main weapon in the modern world (at least by choice)
    The only thing guns did for warfare was to allow more soldiers to be placed in the ranks.

    The Army of The Potomac expended over a million rounds to inflict 23,000 Confederate casualties, so it's debatable how much more effcient guns are on the battlefield.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #390
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Active gunmen in US navy Yard [W:69, 700]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Yes.



    No, you're probably just misinterpreting the comment
    No I'm not. Tougher gun laws do not restrict anyone from purchasing a weapon. It would only make the black market more robust and create more problems. Just like the war on drugs.

Page 39 of 77 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •