Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 78

Thread: Maryland counties join movement to secede from largely Democrat-run state[W:59]

  1. #61
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-17 @ 02:13 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,127

    Re: Maryland counties join movement to secede from largely Democrat-run state

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    Understand. However, if you think Gerry-mandering is bad in Maryland, look at Texas, Pennsylvania, North Carolina. This is why Texas was on the watch list since 1990. And now the SCOTUS is involved. Voting rights is the issue of this Century so far.
    Actually, that's not my opinion. That's a former Justice's opinion. PA isn't bad and I grew up in PA and know it's politics well. PA has 3 major democratic centers, Philly, Pittsburgh, and Scranton area. Rest of the State is HEAVILY Republican. It's why Democrats can win PA in Presidential years but never win off year elections.

    Maryland is worse then NC. Maryland took heavily Republican areas and turned them Democratic. You can google Daily Kos and others and find how that's not enough for them. Rather they want an 8-0 stance.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. H.L Mencken

  2. #62
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Maryland counties join movement to secede from largely Democrat-run state

    If you think Maryland is worse than North Carolina and Pennsylvania, especially with them being larger and their National effect, there's little more to talk about here. You didn't argue Texas or that Dems out-polled Repubs in the House. That's Gerry-mandering. 81% in PHL, PA vs 55% in Repub PA
    Quote Originally Posted by austrianecon View Post
    Actually, that's not my opinion. That's a former Justice's opinion. PA isn't bad and I grew up in PA and know it's politics well. PA has 3 major democratic centers, Philly, Pittsburgh, and Scranton area. Rest of the State is HEAVILY Republican. It's why Democrats can win PA in Presidential years but never win off year elections.

    Maryland is worse then NC. Maryland took heavily Republican areas and turned them Democratic. You can google Daily Kos and others and find how that's not enough for them. Rather they want an 8-0 stance.

  3. #63
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,198

    Re: Maryland counties join movement to secede from largely Democrat-run state

    Quote Originally Posted by austrianecon View Post
    Actually, that's not my opinion. That's a former Justice's opinion. PA isn't bad and I grew up in PA and know it's politics well. PA has 3 major democratic centers, Philly, Pittsburgh, and Scranton area. Rest of the State is HEAVILY Republican. It's why Democrats can win PA in Presidential years but never win off year elections.

    Maryland is worse then NC. Maryland took heavily Republican areas and turned them Democratic. You can google Daily Kos and others and find how that's not enough for them. Rather they want an 8-0 stance.
    I don't see the point in arguing which are worse, when both are very heavily gerrymandered. Maryland is probably a little more, but what was done to some of the NC districts was pretty bad as well.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  4. #64
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,198

    Re: Maryland counties join movement to secede from largely Democrat-run state

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    If you think Maryland is worse than North Carolina and Pennsylvania, especially with them being larger and their National effect, there's little more to talk about here. You didn't argue Texas or that Dems out-polled Repubs in the House. That's Gerry-mandering. 81% in PHL, PA vs 55% in Repub PA
    Gerrymandering is certainly a big factor, but Republicans do have a natural advantage built in the House, even when gerrymandering doesn't happen. Since compact districts are the goal, and Democratic areas tend to be clustered closer together in big cities, creating compact districts will tend to have a small bias toward the Republicans as long as the Democratic urban advantage is so much higher than the Republican rural advantage.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  5. #65
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Maryland counties join movement to secede from largely Democrat-run state

    There is a reason Texas has been on the watch list since 1990.
    To be fair, we really ****ed the Repubs here in Illinois.
    Unfortunately, TX has more than twice as many as we do.
    California has a commission-type, as about 7 other states.
    If we ever start working together, I see this as the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    I don't see the point in arguing which are worse, when both are very heavily gerrymandered. Maryland is probably a little more, but what was done to some of the NC districts was pretty bad as well.

  6. #66
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,198

    Re: Maryland counties join movement to secede from largely Democrat-run state

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    There is a reason Texas has been on the watch list since 1990.
    To be fair, we really ****ed the Repubs here in Illinois.
    Unfortunately, TX has more than twice as many as we do.
    California has a commission-type, as about 7 other states.
    If we ever start working together, I see this as the future.
    I love the work of the commissions so far. California's districts are well done. Iowa's districts are four nice compact corners of the state. I wish every state would adopt them.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  7. #67
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Maryland counties join movement to secede from largely Democrat-run state

    And I would state that the Senate elections should take care of that.
    I would also state that each congressional district should have the same census.
    How about those "black C.D.s" that run for the whole length of a river in North Carolina?
    And then there's their voting law, with little to do about IDs, which I support.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    Gerrymandering is certainly a big factor, but Republicans do have a natural advantage built in the House, even when gerrymandering doesn't happen. Since compact districts are the goal, and Democratic areas tend to be clustered closer together in big cities, creating compact districts will tend to have a small bias toward the Republicans as long as the Democratic urban advantage is so much higher than the Republican rural advantage.

  8. #68
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,198

    Re: Maryland counties join movement to secede from largely Democrat-run state

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    And I would state that the Senate elections should take care of that.
    How so?
    I would also state that each congressional district should have the same census.
    That's pretty much impossible and even if it were doing so would not be a good idea. Because of how powerful predictors demographics are if every district had the same demographics, the vast majority of congressional districts would elect the same party, even if the total vote was only something like 51-49.

    How about those "black C.D.s" that run for the whole length of a river in North Carolina?
    North Carolina had some of the most egregious gerrymandering of 2010.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  9. #69
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-17 @ 02:13 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,127

    Re: Maryland counties join movement to secede from largely Democrat-run state

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    If you think Maryland is worse than North Carolina and Pennsylvania, especially with them being larger and their National effect, there's little more to talk about here. You didn't argue Texas or that Dems out-polled Repubs in the House. That's Gerry-mandering. 81% in PHL, PA vs 55% in Repub PA
    I never said Maryland was worse the North Carolina. Rather they are worse then PA. Texas is bad in itself as well. Doesn't matter who out polled who in total votes. Rather who polled in what districts. Shifting the balance of districts to allow for uncontested reelection is gerry-mandering. That's what Maryland has done. Its what North Carolina and Texas has done.

    And Philly encompasses 3 districts of the 18 districts of PA. Democrats can't hold outside of Philly, Pittsburgh and Harrisburg. So that's 5 districts Democrats can hold on a 2 years basis. Rest of the State is Republican by 10% or more in voting in Congressional elections. It's why PA is know as the Alabama of the North. Democrats can win in the cities but outside of them they do very poorly as shown by electing Governors. PA has to go back to the 1950s to find two Democrats holding the seat back to back. 12 Democrat Governors compared to 26 Republican Governors over it's history.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. H.L Mencken

  10. #70
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Maryland counties join movement to secede from largely Democrat-run state

    You're comparing apples and oranges with % versus vote total.
    Illinois can show you how to spread out the Blue vote better.
    This is why you folks want to divide electoral votes by congressional district.
    We know who you are.
    Repubs are beasts of the Electoral college.
    Quote Originally Posted by austrianecon View Post
    I never said Maryland was worse the North Carolina. Rather they are worse then PA. Texas is bad in itself as well. Doesn't matter who out polled who in total votes. Rather who polled in what districts. Shifting the balance of districts to allow for uncontested reelection is gerry-mandering. That's what Maryland has done. Its what North Carolina and Texas has done.

    And Philly encompasses 3 districts of the 18 districts of PA. Democrats can't hold outside of Philly, Pittsburgh and Harrisburg. So that's 5 districts Democrats can hold on a 2 years basis. Rest of the State is Republican by 10% or more in voting in Congressional elections. It's why PA is know as the Alabama of the North. Democrats can win in the cities but outside of them they do very poorly as shown by electing Governors. PA has to go back to the 1950s to find two Democrats holding the seat back to back. 12 Democrat Governors compared to 26 Republican Governors over it's history.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •