Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 124

Thread: Pa. judge orders end to same-sex marriage licenses

  1. #71
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Pa. judge orders end to same-sex marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Yes it can be unconstitutional and in a STATE constitution because no constitutional amendment has to stand Judicial scrutiny BEFORE it is ratified. Our judicial system rests on an injured party bringing a case before the Court.

    The SSM marriage ban/definition as one man/one woman could be seen under judical review as violating the equal treatment under the law provision. How could the SSM ban still remain?
    A Constitutional amendment, once ratified, cannot - repeat cannot - be held unconstitutional. I repeat the question - How can something in the Constitution be unconstitutional? Answer? It can't. We're not talking about unratified proposed constitutional amendments. We're talking about actual constitutional amendments.

    Could a state constitutional amendment be held in violation of the U.S. Constitution? Of course, but that's not what we're talking about.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  2. #72
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Pa. judge orders end to same-sex marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    What's your point? That it's okay to be rude to those who don't fall in line with DISNEYdude?
    No Maggie....the point is that being "old" is not an excuse for intolerance and bigotry. There are a lot of old people who are enlightened and tolerant. The difference is the aren't angry stubborn and uneducated.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  3. #73
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Pa. judge orders end to same-sex marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    No Maggie....the point is that being "old" is not an excuse for intolerance and bigotry. There are a lot of old people who are enlightened and tolerant. The difference is the aren't angry stubborn and uneducated.
    When we can't respect our grandparents (or whoever) because they can't move fast enough to center, it's you and I that are intolerant. Not them.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #74
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Pa. judge orders end to same-sex marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    When we can't respect our grandparents (or whoever) because they can't move fast enough to center, it's you and I that are intolerant. Not them.
    Sorry Maggie...but I'm not going to accept that excuse. I've known too many people, my own father included who came from the same generation as people like Navy Pride....who held the same bigoted views, but through education came around. Allowing people to remain bigots based on excuses is just not acceptable.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  5. #75
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,625

    Re: Pa. judge orders end to same-sex marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    A Constitutional amendment, once ratified, cannot - repeat cannot - be held unconstitutional. I repeat the question - How can something in the Constitution be unconstitutional? Answer? It can't. We're not talking about unratified proposed constitutional amendments. We're talking about actual constitutional amendments. Could a state constitutional amendment be held in violation of the U.S. Constitution? Of course, but that's not what we're talking about.
    Oh, I thought we were talking about State Constitutions. The topic was Pa, and then NP brought up the state constitutional amendments.

    The US Constitution would be extremely difficult to amend- is why the 'defend marriage' crowd didn't go there- too many widely differing opinions once you cross state lines. However I still think if a later Court determines a part of the Constitution is in violation of the rest that part will be declared null and void. (if you want to be picky and not use the word unconstitutional that's fine- it is what it is however)

    I think many Court Decisions can be revisited later as the effects of some of them are felt.

  6. #76
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,385

    Pa. judge orders end to same-sex marriage licenses

    Same old BS from both sides pushing their own agendas like this County Clerk. More precisely, MY county clerk. He doesn't have the authority to issue licenses to same sex couples because the law says he can't. Instead of changing the law, he is taking the law into his own hands.

    This is just as wrong as if SSM were legal in PA but a clerk deciding that he wouldn't issue a license because he doesn't agree with it.

    This is why various mayors in PA. many of whom are in favor if SSM are not willing to perform the ceremony. In PA, mayors are one of a group of identified individuals who can officiate a marriage.

    Enough of the abomination crap, and enough of the claims that the clerk doesn't have to follow the law.
    People in Dubai don't like the Flintstones but people in Abu Dhabi do

  7. #77
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Pa. judge orders end to same-sex marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Oh, I thought we were talking about State Constitutions. The topic was Pa, and then NP brought up the state constitutional amendments.

    The US Constitution would be extremely difficult to amend- is why the 'defend marriage' crowd didn't go there- too many widely differing opinions once you cross state lines. However I still think if a later Court determines a part of the Constitution is in violation of the rest that part will be declared null and void. (if you want to be picky and not use the word unconstitutional that's fine- it is what it is however)

    I think many Court Decisions can be revisited later as the effects of some of them are felt.
    I can't think of a single example where a court has declared any part of the U.S. Constitution 'null and void'. Some parts of the Constitution were superceded by later amendments, but the original language remains in the Constitution.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  8. #78
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,625

    Re: Pa. judge orders end to same-sex marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    I can't think of a single example where a court has declared any part of the U.S. Constitution 'null and void'. Some parts of the Constitution were superceded by later amendments, but the original language remains in the Constitution.
    I'd say that because it never happened it won't happen- that is the basis for the SSM marriage argument- things change and because it never happened yet doesn't mean it can't happen at all. My idea is it would take a rather improbable series of events where a constitutional amendment is passed that directly contradicts part already upheld in the Courts. Agreed, not likely to happen but it isn't impossible.

    I would mention, the accuracy of the opinion can be questioned that many Cons feel the 'activist judges' on the Supreme court have all but removed the now hollow words from several basic rights in the Constitution.

    I'd say your superceding is another's null and void, but to each their own i guess.

  9. #79
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Pa. judge orders end to same-sex marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    2 words, Constitutional amendment............
    Two words, Fourteenth Amendment.

    Two more words, gender discrimination.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Pa. judge orders end to same-sex marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    The courts are supposed to void laws that are unconstitutional, so no it's not the same the other way around. I'm referring as much though to cases where judges have declared SSM legal and there was no law against it (as far as i know), such as MA or Iowa, then uproar followed about "activist judges."
    A clerk is not "the courts". A clerk has as much right to do that as you do in arresting a cop.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •