Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 94

Thread: Netherlands Close Eight Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals

  1. #1
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:16 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,948

    Netherlands Close Eight Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals

    Netherlands Close Eight Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals

    Declining crime rates in the Netherlands mean that although the country has the capacity for 14,000 prisoners, there are only 12,000 detainees, reported the nrc.nl.

    The decrease is expected to continue, the ministry said, with Deputy justice minister Nebahat Albayrak saying that natural redundancy and other measures should counter any forced lay-offs.
    This is what the prison system looks like in a country that doesn't have insane drug laws and isn't arresting people for looking at a cop the wrong way.

  2. #2
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Netherlands Close Eight Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    Netherlands Close Eight Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals

    This is what the prison system looks like in a country that doesn't have insane drug laws and isn't arresting people for looking at a cop the wrong way.
    And THAT is why we'll always have insane drug laws. Too many people making too much money off them.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Netherlands Close Eight Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals

    Prisons are Big Business



    "The omnipresent media blitz about serial killers, missing children, and “random violence” feeds our fear. In reality, however, most of the “criminals” we lock up are poor people who commit nonviolent crimes out of economic need. Violence occurs in less than 14% of all reported crime, and injuries occur in just 3%. In California, the top three charges for those entering prison are: possession of a controlled substance, possession of a controlled substance for sale, and robbery. Violent crimes like murder, rape, manslaughter and kidnapping don’t even make the top ten."


    “Prisons are Big Business”: The Prison-Industrial Complex and the Global Economy | Global Research

  4. #4
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Netherlands Close Eight Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Prisons are Big Business



    "The omnipresent media blitz about serial killers, missing children, and “random violence” feeds our fear. In reality, however, most of the “criminals” we lock up are poor people who commit nonviolent crimes out of economic need. Violence occurs in less than 14% of all reported crime, and injuries occur in just 3%. In California, the top three charges for those entering prison are: possession of a controlled substance, possession of a controlled substance for sale, and robbery. Violent crimes like murder, rape, manslaughter and kidnapping don’t even make the top ten."


    “Prisons are Big Business”: The Prison-Industrial Complex and the Global Economy | Global Research
    Don't have time right now to read your link so it may cover this, but I remember seeing somewhere about how the private companies that own prisons on some states spend millions on lobbying those states for more strict drug possession laws. I found that hilarious.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #5
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Netherlands Close Eight Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Prisons are Big Business



    "The omnipresent media blitz about serial killers, missing children, and “random violence” feeds our fear. In reality, however, most of the “criminals” we lock up are poor people who commit nonviolent crimes out of economic need. Violence occurs in less than 14% of all reported crime, and injuries occur in just 3%. In California, the top three charges for those entering prison are: possession of a controlled substance, possession of a controlled substance for sale, and robbery. Violent crimes like murder, rape, manslaughter and kidnapping don’t even make the top ten."


    “Prisons are Big Business”: The Prison-Industrial Complex and the Global Economy | Global Research
    I don't know. It seems there is conflicting information on the topic.

    California's Changing Prison Population (PPIC Publication)

    June 2013

    A vast majority of prisoners have committed violent or serious offenses.


    At year-end 2012, 88% of inmates had a current or prior violent or serious felony conviction, and 16% were registered sex offenders. A large percentage of inmates have long-term sentences: 25% are serving a "second strike” sentence, and 19% are lifers with the possibility of parole. Smaller proportions are serving a "third strike” sentence (7%) or are serving life sentences without the possibility of parole (4%).

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Netherlands Close Eight Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Don't have time right now to read your link so it may cover this, but I remember seeing somewhere about how the private companies that own prisons on some states spend millions on lobbying those states for more strict drug possession laws. I found that hilarious.
    Wouldn't surprise me.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Netherlands Close Eight Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    I don't know. It seems there is conflicting information on the topic.

    California's Changing Prison Population (PPIC Publication)

    June 2013

    A vast majority of prisoners have committed violent or serious offenses.


    At year-end 2012, 88% of inmates had a current or prior violent or serious felony conviction, and 16% were registered sex offenders. A large percentage of inmates have long-term sentences: 25% are serving a "second strike” sentence, and 19% are lifers with the possibility of parole. Smaller proportions are serving a "third strike” sentence (7%) or are serving life sentences without the possibility of parole (4%).
    From your link:

    "A vast majority of prisoners have committed violent or serious offenses.
    At year-end 2012, 88% of inmates had a current or prior violent or serious felony conviction, and 16% were registered sex offenders. A large percentage of inmates have long-term sentences: 25% are serving a "second strike” sentence, and 19% are lifers with the possibility of parole. Smaller proportions are serving a "third strike” sentence (7%) or are serving life sentences without the possibility of parole (4%).

    One of our links is seriously wrong. I better look into this some more.

  8. #8
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Re: Netherlands Close Eight Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals

    Your thread sawyer says that California started sending its lower risk prisoners to county prisons. Presumably, the stats in your link then represent only the 33 California state prisons that house mostly violent criminals. Thus, the stats are true, but aren't really comparable to the other link.
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

  9. #9
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Netherlands Close Eight Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    From your link:

    "A vast majority of prisoners have committed violent or serious offenses.
    At year-end 2012, 88% of inmates had a current or prior violent or serious felony conviction, and 16% were registered sex offenders. A large percentage of inmates have long-term sentences: 25% are serving a "second strike” sentence, and 19% are lifers with the possibility of parole. Smaller proportions are serving a "third strike” sentence (7%) or are serving life sentences without the possibility of parole (4%).

    One of our links is seriously wrong. I better look into this some more.
    They can both be right, since violent criminals and "two strike" sentenced people are serving much longer sentenced. One ten year sentence vs twenty six month sentences if that makes sense.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Netherlands Close Eight Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    They can both be right, since violent criminals and "two strike" sentenced people are serving much longer sentenced. One ten year sentence vs twenty six month sentences if that makes sense.
    When I get time I'm going to dig deeper into this. I'm under the impression that our prisons are full due to drug laws but I could be wrong, I have never really researched it. Most of today I have spent researching what to do about ice dams in my roof valleys that fooked up my metal roofing last winter. IMPORTANT stuff!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •