Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 197

Thread: Syria 'welcomes' proposal to hand over control of chemical weapons [W:122]

  1. #161
    Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-30-13 @ 07:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,293

    Re: Syria 'welcomes' proposal to hand over control of chemical weapons [W:122]

    Quote Originally Posted by greengirl77 View Post
    So the righties are gonna try to rewrite history again! Well color me surprised at this load of BS!
    LOL.

    Sometimes laughter is the best medicine. And in this case I will not laugh at you. I will laugh with you.

    Anything else would be cruel.
    "“If we don’t deepen our ports all along the Gulf — places like Charleston, South Carolina; or Savannah, Georgia; or Jacksonville, Florida…” -Obama

  2. #162
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Syria 'welcomes' proposal to hand over control of chemical weapons [W:122]

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Cons can keep repeating that until the cows come home but it ain't flying. Unlike BushII in Iraq, Obama listens to the other nations and folks at home.

    But lets review. Russia blinked, Assad grasped, Obama is getting work done without sending thousands of Americans to their deaths.

    I understand Cons are loath to see this anyway but the way they want to spin it. but the bottom line is even with no help from congress or Europe Obama is removing chemical weapons from the civil war.

    Cons were so sure this was the start of WWIII

    Cons were so sure this would help Sunni terrorists they refuse to see the Shiite terrorists on Assad's side.

    Cons were calling planned limited missile strikes either 'war mongering' OR wussy 'face saving'

    Cons want to say Obama wants a war to boost his poll numbers when he can't run again.

    So it seems to me the Con POV has been so wrong, so long it is a wonder some continue to beat this horse.

    What legacy the Cons have left this country is a deep fear of any military action in the world. We want fast clean wars. We got a hot mess with thousands of dead Americans a huge drain on our finances that gained us nothing and an Administration so focused on Iraq they refused to see the economy starting to collapse. Iraq exposed us as having a huge military that was so top heavy it couldn't sustain an operation that lasts longer than a woman's hair style.

    A President well on his way to forcing a dictator to abandon a chemical weapon while fighting for his life WITHOUT killing thousands of American Soldiers...

    That is a WIN

    But do keep trying to force everything into the 'it's just like' mold.
    Putin blinked!!!

    Not only was there no reason for Putin to blink it was Obama who was scrambling in circles looking for a way out. Putin is now the hero in the Middle East, and elsewhere, for saving lives and we know that these chemical weapons, which were apparently supplied by Russia, will now never be found.

    But you did give me my first laugh of the day so that's appreciated.

  3. #163
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:34 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,888

    Re: Syria 'welcomes' proposal to hand over control of chemical weapons [W:122]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Putin blinked!!!

    Not only was there no reason for Putin to blink it was Obama who was scrambling in circles looking for a way out. Putin is now the hero in the Middle East, and elsewhere, for saving lives and we know that these chemical weapons, which were apparently supplied by Russia, will now never be found.

    But you did give me my first laugh of the day so that's appreciated.
    Russia has now stated that they will only back their proposed diplomatic solution if the US agrees to never to attack Syria.

    Of course, attempting to spin that a diplomatic solution was the hope all along, someone better tell Obama, Rice, Powers, and Kerry, who as late as this past Sunday, all stated that there will be no diplomatic solution because Assad cannot be trusted.

  4. #164
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,626

    Re: Syria 'welcomes' proposal to hand over control of chemical weapons [W:122]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    You were on the right path with your "Vietnam Syndrome" analysis but then drifted off into the usual leftist confusion. The "Vietnam Syndrome" begin under Democrat Presidents Kennedy and Johnson and the leftists, particularly under Johnson, turned on their own country, leadership, and military. That continues to this day.
    And your right wing partisanship keeps you from seeing it was the AMERICAN CITIZEN who refused to back ANY military actions for decades. Didn't matter the political lean... Vietnam spoiled the American Invincibility myth. I seem to recall the Cons being against Bosnia and missile strikes during the Clinton years.

    I would point out the 'they hate America' crap is worn out. The feeling toward the military isn't hate, just confusion on why we have a military larger than the next 14 nations COMBINED, most an ally, but couldn't keep up the operational tempo of in a rather weak nation like Iraq for the TRILLION or so dollars spent each year.

    Any thought of scrutinizing the DOD spending practices gets called 'hating the military'

  5. #165
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,626

    Re: Syria 'welcomes' proposal to hand over control of chemical weapons [W:122]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Putin blinked!!! Not only was there no reason for Putin to blink it was Obama who was scrambling in circles looking for a way out. Putin is now the hero in the Middle East, and elsewhere, for saving lives and we know that these chemical weapons, which were apparently supplied by Russia, will now never be found. But you did give me my first laugh of the day so that's appreciated.
    Yes he did, blinked and silenced his attack lap dogs. Russia isn't saving lives, the slaughter continues. I'd say it isn't a matter of 'finding' them as much as they are spirited out of Syria so they can't be used again. Chemical weapons are not as hard to make as a thermonuclear device, ANY nation can manufacture the chem weapons. It would be foolish to think a artillery shell/ aircraft ordinance will have "made by the happy workers of Novorisk Factory #7" on them...

  6. #166
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Syria 'welcomes' proposal to hand over control of chemical weapons [W:122]

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    And your right wing partisanship keeps you from seeing it was the AMERICAN CITIZEN who refused to back ANY military actions for decades. Didn't matter the political lean... Vietnam spoiled the American Invincibility myth. I seem to recall the Cons being against Bosnia and missile strikes during the Clinton years.
    That is clearly false.

    I would point out the 'they hate America' crap is worn out. The feeling toward the military isn't hate, just confusion on why we have a military larger than the next 14 nations COMBINED, most an ally, but couldn't keep up the operational tempo of in a rather weak nation like Iraq for the TRILLION or so dollars spent each year.
    Yes, i pointed to that confusion in your previous post.

    Any thought of scrutinizing the DOD spending practices gets called 'hating the military'
    DOD spending practices were not being discussed.

    However here's just a couple of quotes from a celebrated American leftist.
    American soldiers [are] going into the homes of Iraqis in the dead of night, terrorizing kids and children, you know, women, breaking sort of the customs of the historical customs, religious customs." --John Kerry in 2005
    "[American troops in Vietnam] personally raped, cut off ears, cut off heads, taped wires from portable telephones to human genitals and turned up the power, cut off limbs, [blew] up bodies, randomly shot at civilians, razed villages in fashion reminiscent of Genghis Khan, shot cattle and dogs for fun, poisoned food stocks, and generally ravaged the countryside of South Vietnam in addition to...the normal and very particular ravaging which is done by the applied bombing power of this country. ... There are all kinds of atrocities and I would have to say that, yes, yes, I committed the same kind of atrocities as thousands of other soldiers have committed...." --John Kerry in his 1971 testimony before Congress

  7. #167
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Syria 'welcomes' proposal to hand over control of chemical weapons [W:122]

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    Russia has now stated that they will only back their proposed diplomatic solution if the US agrees to never to attack Syria.

    Of course, attempting to spin that a diplomatic solution was the hope all along, someone better tell Obama, Rice, Powers, and Kerry, who as late as this past Sunday, all stated that there will be no diplomatic solution because Assad cannot be trusted.
    Did Kerry explain that all he wanted "an unbelievably small, limited kind of effort.” Who could possibly object to that?

    It is definitely a new strategy, and one that has historically never been uttered before in any pre-war debate.

  8. #168
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Syria 'welcomes' proposal to hand over control of chemical weapons [W:122]

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Yes he did, blinked and silenced his attack lap dogs.
    What 'lap dogs' are you referring to?

    Russia isn't saving lives, the slaughter continues.
    Of course. But now Obama has a political out.
    It would be foolish to think a artillery shell/ aircraft ordinance will have "made by the happy workers of Novorisk Factory #7" on them...
    Then why did you say it?

  9. #169
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Arlington, tx
    Last Seen
    10-08-13 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    362

    Re: Syria 'welcomes' proposal to hand over control of chemical weapons [W:122]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Oh please, Clinton attacked Kosovo over much less, AND he gave Halliburton their first "no bid" contract.

    Here's some more Democrats quotes on the Iraq situation...

    "One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom line."
    --President Bill Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998

    "If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program."
    --President Bill Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998

    "Iraq is a long way from [here], but what happens there matters a great deal here. For the risks that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest security threat we face."
    --Madeline Albright, Feb 18, 1998

    "He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten times since 1983."
    --Sandy Berger, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb, 18, 1998

    "[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs."
    Letter to President Clinton, signed by:
    -- Democratic Senators Carl Levin, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, and others, Oct. 9, 1998

    "Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."
    -Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998

    "Hussein has ... chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass destruction and palaces for his cronies."
    -- Madeline Albright, Clinton Secretary of State, Nov. 10, 1999

    "There is no doubt that ... Saddam Hussein has reinvigorated his weapons programs. Reports indicate that biological, chemical and nuclear programs continue apace and may be back to pre-Gulf War status. In addition, Saddam continues to redefine delivery systems and is doubtless using the cover of a licit missile program to develop longer-range missiles that will threaten the United States and our allies."
    Letter to President Bush, Signed by:
    -- Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), and others, Dec 5, 2001

    "We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a threat to the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the mandate of the United Nations and is building weapons of mass destruction and th! e means of delivering them."
    -- Sen. Carl Levin (D, MI), Sept. 19, 2002

    "We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country."
    -- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

    "Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power."
    -- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

    "We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction."
    -- Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002

    "The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of 1998. We are confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons..."
    -- Sen. Robert Byrd (D, WV), Oct. 3, 2002

    "I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force -- if necessary -- to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security."
    -- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002

    "There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next five years ... We also should remember we have always underestimated the progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction."
    -- Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D, WV), Oct 10, 2002

    "He has systematically violated, over the course of the past 11 years, every significant UN resolution that has demanded that he disarm and destroy his chemical and biological weapons, and any nuclear capacity. This he has refused to do"
    --
    Rep. Henry Waxman (D, CA), Oct. 10, 2002

    "In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members ... It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons."
    -- Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002

    "We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam Hussein has, and has had for a number of years, a developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction."
    -- Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), Dec. 8, 2002

    "Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real..."
    -- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003

    What was the final vote on the Iraq Resolution ?

    Face it, you bought into a Bull Sh** false narrative and it's really old hat to keep bringing it up.

    Okay blame Clinton for Kosavo, but the righties blaming Clinton for Iraq is stupid. Kosavo didnt cost a trillion dollars either. I think it would go a really long way if the Cons accepted the fact that Bush/Cheney were some of the worst "leaders" the world has ever seen. However, we all know that will never happen.

  10. #170
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Syria 'welcomes' proposal to hand over control of chemical weapons [W:122]

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    Russia has now stated that they will only back their proposed diplomatic solution if the US agrees to never to attack Syria.

    Of course, attempting to spin that a diplomatic solution was the hope all along, someone better tell Obama, Rice, Powers, and Kerry, who as late as this past Sunday, all stated that there will be no diplomatic solution because Assad cannot be trusted.
    Funny thing.....both Rice and Powers wanted to Strike immediately, so they were siding with McCain and graham from the get go.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •