Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 59

Thread: Critics see contradictions in Obama administration's Syria claims

  1. #1
    User Ari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Seen
    10-09-13 @ 08:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    109

    Critics see contradictions in Obama administration's Syria claims

    "the basic challenge the White House faces: how to reassure the large anti-war contingent in the Democratic Party, as well as conservative opponents of overseas intervention, that strikes won’t open the way to another war, while convincing hawks and more militant internationalists that the strikes will do enough to make the mission worthwhile."
    Critics see contradictions in Obama administration's Syria claims - Page 2 - latimes.com

  2. #2
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Critics see contradictions in Obama administration's Syria claims

    Critics don't see the legalality in attacking a country that hasn't attacked us, against the will of the American people and without a UN resolution on secretive "evidence" that president Assad commited the very illogical act of attacking his own people who largely support him and at risk of hostilities spreading throughout the entire region and possibly drawing Russia or China in!!!

  3. #3
    User Ari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Seen
    10-09-13 @ 08:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    109

    Re: Critics see contradictions in Obama administration's Syria claims

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Critics don't see the legalality in attacking a country that hasn't attacked us, against the will of the American people and without a UN resolution on secretive "evidence" that president Assad commited the very illogical act of attacking his own people who largely support him and at risk of hostilities spreading throughout the entire region and possibly drawing Russia or China in!!!
    It won't be effective long term either. I'm anticipating hearing what the UN inspectors have to say.

  4. #4
    Professor
    SBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    01-18-16 @ 03:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,523

    Re: Critics see contradictions in Obama administration's Syria claims

    Basically they're playing "What's the right answer?" ..."here you go." I guess another way to look at it is they are treating it like a bill, negotiating what it will involve to satisfy everyone.

  5. #5
    User Ari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Seen
    10-09-13 @ 08:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    109

    Re: Critics see contradictions in Obama administration's Syria claims

    Quote Originally Posted by SBu View Post
    Basically they're playing "What's the right answer?" ..."here you go." I guess another way to look at it is they are treating it like a bill, negotiating what it will involve to satisfy everyone.
    I trust the UN a little more than that. I think the people on the ground genuinely wanna get to the bottom of this, but I'm sure of their bosses have different interests.

  6. #6
    Professor
    SBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    01-18-16 @ 03:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,523

    Re: Critics see contradictions in Obama administration's Syria claims

    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I trust the UN a little more than that. I think the people on the ground genuinely wanna get to the bottom of this, but I'm sure of their bosses have different interests.
    Oh, you mean with respect to whether they were used or not? I was speaking strictly about the Obama admin and Congress. I'm sure you're right about the UN worker on the ground, and the frustration they probably feel. UN doesn't have a very good track record in acting decisively even when answers are definitive, however.

  7. #7
    User Ari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Seen
    10-09-13 @ 08:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    109

    Re: Critics see contradictions in Obama administration's Syria claims

    Quote Originally Posted by SBu View Post
    Oh, you mean with respect to whether they were used or not? I was speaking strictly about the Obama admin and Congress. I'm sure you're right about the UN worker on the ground, and the frustration they probably feel. UN doesn't have a very good track record in acting decisively even when answers are definitive, however.
    The UN could be a wonderful organization if they were above petty politics. I'm sure the white house is already looking for ways to spin any results from the inspectors that conflicts with their interests.

  8. #8
    Professor
    SBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    01-18-16 @ 03:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,523

    Re: Critics see contradictions in Obama administration's Syria claims

    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    The UN could be a wonderful organization if they were above petty politics. I'm sure the white house is already looking for ways to spin any results from the inspectors that conflicts with their interests.
    There aren't many things that the inspectors were mandated to do other than determine if they were used and what agent it was. They will probably determine the delivery method and ammunition type which may be the only circumstantial indicators. If they can determine what type of delivery method to the tune of what specific kind of artillery piece for example, then you can compare with who has what. If evidence of inspector stamp or other indicator can be found on a shell for example, then you might be able to infer who it came from. Nothing concrete though.

    The UN serves a purpose but doesn't live up to the hype, and can't unless the vast array of countries in it agreed to the vast majority of issues. THe UN in some ways is a complete farce like its human rights council with members often including some of the worst human rights offenders.

  9. #9
    User Ari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Seen
    10-09-13 @ 08:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    109

    Re: Critics see contradictions in Obama administration's Syria claims

    Quote Originally Posted by SBu View Post
    There aren't many things that the inspectors were mandated to do other than determine if they were used and what agent it was. They will probably determine the delivery method and ammunition type which may be the only circumstantial indicators. If they can determine what type of delivery method to the tune of what specific kind of artillery piece for example, then you can compare with who has what. If evidence of inspector stamp or other indicator can be found on a shell for example, then you might be able to infer who it came from. Nothing concrete though.

    The UN serves a purpose but doesn't live up to the hype, and can't unless the vast array of countries in it agreed to the vast majority of issues. THe UN in some ways is a complete farce like its human rights council with members often including some of the worst human rights offenders.
    It'll be interesting to how things play out if the UN turns up good evidence suggesting the rebels are responsible.

  10. #10
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,597
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Critics see contradictions in Obama administration's Syria claims

    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    It'll be interesting to how things play out if the UN turns up good evidence suggesting the rebels are responsible.
    I don't hold the UN in the same esteem you do, but my guess is that the UN inspectors will report that yes, Sarin gas was indeed used.... period. I don't believe the UN will make any report about which side may have used them, because that would force the UN itself to take a "side", thereby ticking off somebody they don't want to tick off.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •