Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 133

Thread: Activists: Syrian Rebels take Christian Village

  1. #61
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,251

    Re: Activists: Syrian Rebels take Christian Village

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Is it really so necessary to be ugly like this. Does it really bother you that Assad's forces fought a battle with the extremists to defend a Christian village?
    No it bothers me that you continue to make excuses for Assad and his government. The latest excuse seems to be that he is a crusader fighting off the evil muslim hordes, pretty disgusting.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Activists: Syrian Rebels take Christian Village

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Restore democracy! Very funny.
    Syria was always unstable. After centuries of being part of the ottoman empire, when the ottoman empire was disolved after WW1, Syria was established as 5 separate states (by the French) in order to accommodate religious and ethnic differences. It was probably the most stable period it has seen. After that, it was established as republic... and then ww2 happened. After ww2, it continued to be a republic... it became independent (despite the French trying to prevent that) but... freedom meant that there was no more French influence in syria to moderate the various, often times extremist factions. This meant civil upheavel and often times persecution of Christians. So although independent, Syria was in a constant state of anarchy. It changed its flag about 3-4 (depending on who was in power) until finally, the Assad regime (not Bashir, his father) came along.

    The Assads crushed islamic fundamentalism, restored order, enacted numerous reforms to consolidate their power, took away democracy, and the country saw a process of great economic expansion. So it was basically a benevolent dictatorship. And it's ironically, until the rise of islam supremacism in Syria and the start of the civil war, that Syria, under the Assads, has seen the best period of its existence for centuries.
    Last edited by Rainman05; 09-09-13 at 09:03 AM.

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Activists: Syrian Rebels take Christian Village

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    No it bothers me that you continue to make excuses for Assad and his government. The latest excuse seems to be that he is a crusader fighting off the evil muslim hordes, pretty disgusting.
    He is not a crusader, but he is a secularist. He is... was, at best, a benevolent dictator.

    The revolution in Syria is not about democracy. The rebels dont' want that. They want sharia law and islamic theocracy instituted. They are jihadists, not liberators.

    So there is no good side in the Syrian conflict. There is just 2 sides of the same dictatorial coin. One is a secular dictatorship, the other is an islamic one. That's why I keep on saying, the only genuine course of action that the west can take to make sure democracy and civil rights are respected in Syria is to go in, full force, wipe the floor with both the rebel forces and the Assad regime, and then restore democracy, and get out.

    See my previous post too.

  4. #64
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Activists: Syrian Rebels take Christian Village

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    Syria was always unstable. After centuries of being part of the ottoman empire, when the ottoman empire was disolved after WW1, Syria was established as 5 separate states (by the French) in order to accommodate religious and ethnic differences. It was probably the most stable period it has seen. After that, it was established as republic... and then ww2 happened. After ww2, it continued to be a republic... it became independent (despite the French trying to prevent that) but... freedom meant that there was no more French influence in syria to moderate the various, often times extremist factions. This meant civil upheavel and often times persecution of Christians. So although independent, Syria was in a constant state of anarchy. It changed its flag about 3-4 (depending on who was in power) until finally, the Assad regime (not Bashir, his father) came along.

    The Assads crushed islamic fundamentalism, restored order, enacted numerous reforms to consolidate their power, took away democracy, and the country saw a process of great economic expansion. So it was basically a benevolent dictatorship. And it's ironically, until the rise of islam supremacism in Syria and the start of the civil war, that Syria, under the Assads, has seen the best period of its existence for centuries.
    I would certainly agree with you that by comparison, life has been smoother under the Assad's, which is why I have argued from the beginning that the US should have stayed out of the conflict, Assad would have crushed it early on and there wouldn't be 100,000 dead and it wouldn't be escalating into the, threatening to the region and beyond, crises that it is.

  5. #65
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Activists: Syrian Rebels take Christian Village

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    No it bothers me that you continue to make excuses for Assad and his government. The latest excuse seems to be that he is a crusader fighting off the evil muslim hordes, pretty disgusting.
    I'm making no excuses for anyone. I posted the story, I didn't write it or make it up. If you were interested in truth and justice, you would read it and see that Assad's forces did indeed battle Islamic extremists forces outside this Christian village in an attempt to protect it, were overwhelmed and had to withdraw. The extremists (that you love to support) subsequently sacked the city, killing many. Those that could have fled, the entire fate is presently unknown. You are on the wrong side of this. Several other posters have pointed out Assad's history of religious tolerance, but this doesn't seem to be important to those who's hearts are set on war.

  6. #66
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Activists: Syrian Rebels take Christian Village

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    He is not a crusader, but he is a secularist. He is... was, at best, a benevolent dictator.

    The revolution in Syria is not about democracy. The rebels dont' want that. They want sharia law and islamic theocracy instituted. They are jihadists, not liberators.

    So there is no good side in the Syrian conflict. There is just 2 sides of the same dictatorial coin. One is a secular dictatorship, the other is an islamic one. That's why I keep on saying, the only genuine course of action that the west can take to make sure democracy and civil rights are respected in Syria is to go in, full force, wipe the floor with both the rebel forces and the Assad regime, and then restore democracy, and get out.

    See my previous post too.
    I would agree with your assessment of the jihadists, but you previously, and correctly, pointed out earlier that Syria was much calmer under the Assad's then many other periods in their history, so there is a better side to support and that is of course Assad.
    Which is by far an excuse of any and all of Assad's wrong doings.

  7. #67
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Activists: Syrian Rebels take Christian Village

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    No it bothers me that you continue to make excuses for Assad and his government. The latest excuse seems to be that he is a crusader fighting off the evil muslim hordes, pretty disgusting.
    Actually he and Putin have been pointing out forever that he is fighting of evil hordes, extremists, terrorists within his country.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Activists: Syrian Rebels take Christian Village

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    he used chemical weapons on his own people
    So what? Is that worth American lives and money?

  9. #69
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Activists: Syrian Rebels take Christian Village

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    So what? Is that worth American lives and money?

    Hey Crue. No it isn't worth it, especially sense that still is unconfirmed. We all know chemical weapons weren't used to attack America at any rate.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Activists: Syrian Rebels take Christian Village

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    So what? Is that worth American lives and money?
    Depends on how you look at things. Are you of the mindset that we should have gotten involved with Germany when they were killing Jewish people? I only use that example, because it's an example of how things can escalate when a dictator (or rebels) are allowed to do something inhuman without consequences.

    I'm of the mindset that we should not be the world police and if the U.N. authorizes any action to be taken, it should be taken by all of the U.N. and not just the U.S.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •