Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 133

Thread: Activists: Syrian Rebels take Christian Village

  1. #51
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Activists: Syrian Rebels take Christian Village

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    I've been watching those increases all the way along. We've cut our military in favor of maintaining entitlement spending. We're giving our military a 1% pay increase, which is an additional slap in the face to those serving. I will never say we can't cut military spending in some areas - but to cut as we have and then to propose additional action is foolhardy in the extreme. Now, this little Syrian adventure, which is largely pointless, is just pushing to far for an outcome that we truly can't predict. This is not the Balkans. There will be a reaction and we can be touched.
    And we very much agree.

  2. #52
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,115

    Re: Activists: Syrian Rebels take Christian Village

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    I don't disagree, but we are globally involved whether we like it or not. The problem is that we see interests where there aren't any worth the effort. Syria is one such place. We missed the window of opportunity. We should forget it now. We blew it. Yeah, the chemical weapons are a problem. They just aren't our problem right this minute. As Obama said, it's the world's problem. We are not the world. We can make one big problem for the rest of the world, though.
    Damn straight... I am not isolationist but until we get our own house in order we are screwing ourselves with all this stuff.

    Our national infrastructure is rated at a D- for gods sake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    Re: Activists: Syrian Rebels take Christian Village

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    AMMAN, Jordan (AP) -- Rebels including al-Qaida-linked fighters gained control of a Christian village northeast of the capital Damascus, Syrian activists said Sunday. Government media provided a dramatically different account of the battle suggesting regime forces were winning.

    The rebel advance into the area this week was spearheaded by Jabhat al-Nusra, or the Nusra Front, exacerbating fears among Syrians and religious minorities about the role played by Islamic extremists within the rebel ranks.

    The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, Rami Abdul-Rahman, said Jabhat al-Nusra backed by another group, the Qalamon Liberation Front, moved into the village after heavy clashes with the army late Saturday. He said around 1,500 rebels are inside the town.

    So here we have president Assad's forces fighting to defend a Christian village from the terrorists and the US wants to attack Assad's forces. This is very twisted!

    News from The Associated Press
    If both USA and Russia supply Assad; there won't be a lot of profit in this mess. Russia got first pick. Either we pick the fat kid nobody wants and just put him in right field, or we go into the game down one player.

  4. #54
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Activists: Syrian Rebels take Christian Village

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    If both USA and Russia supply Assad; there won't be a lot of profit in this mess. Russia got first pick. Either we pick the fat kid nobody wants and just put him in right field, or we go into the game down one player.
    There really is no humanitarian place in your heart is there. I don't know what to say to you Snap, seriously.

  5. #55
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,267

    Re: Activists: Syrian Rebels take Christian Village

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Damn straight... I am not isolationist but until we get our own house in order we are screwing ourselves with all this stuff.

    Our national infrastructure is rated at a D- for gods sake.
    There's much to do here. The problem is that nobody is doing it. No leadership. This is not just a national problem, and not limited to Obama. Military in disarray. No national energy policy and programs to address the problems. Cities going bankrupt. States on the verge of bankruptcy. No meaningful employment. All this, and the best we can do is bomb Syria? To teach Assad a lesson? What lesson would that be? I, for one, have no idea. If it's a matter of principle, Assad would never have used CW in the first place, if he truly has. I seriously doubt a few days of bombing will change his principles. It may harden them.

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Activists: Syrian Rebels take Christian Village

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    What you've described is exactly what we saw in the Balkans with the collapse of the Soviet Union.
    And throughout the Muslim world. Any time the democracies become involved in internal Islamic struggles, no matter how we might want to help, they are resentful and even more determined to attack the west. Time to start sitting them out, rescuing Christians perhaps, and letting them handle the messes they've created.

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    Re: Activists: Syrian Rebels take Christian Village

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    There really is no humanitarian place in your heart is there. I don't know what to say to you Snap, seriously.
    I care about Americans and Israelis. It's not my turn to care about arabs. The Arab League asked USA to get involved. So we are. With any luck, USA will make a bunch of money on this civil war.

  8. #58
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,210

    Re: Activists: Syrian Rebels take Christian Village

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    I don't disagree, but we are globally involved whether we like it or not. The problem is that we see interests where there aren't any worth the effort. Syria is one such place. We missed the window of opportunity. We should forget it now. We blew it. Yeah, the chemical weapons are a problem. They just aren't our problem right this minute. As Obama said, it's the world's problem. We are not the world. We can make one big problem for the rest of the world, though.
    The US congress should follow the President's lead and change the administration's proposed motion to one where the US supports and will participate in an action against Syrian facilities that is supported and adopted by the UN and/or NATO or some other significant group of nations in a joint effort. That way, everyone can save face and the onus is put back on those countries that oppose such action.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Activists: Syrian Rebels take Christian Village

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    AMMAN, Jordan (AP) -- Rebels including al-Qaida-linked fighters gained control of a Christian village northeast of the capital Damascus, Syrian activists said Sunday. Government media provided a dramatically different account of the battle suggesting regime forces were winning.

    The rebel advance into the area this week was spearheaded by Jabhat al-Nusra, or the Nusra Front, exacerbating fears among Syrians and religious minorities about the role played by Islamic extremists within the rebel ranks.

    The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, Rami Abdul-Rahman, said Jabhat al-Nusra backed by another group, the Qalamon Liberation Front, moved into the village after heavy clashes with the army late Saturday. He said around 1,500 rebels are inside the town.

    So here we have president Assad's forces fighting to defend a Christian village from the terrorists and the US wants to attack Assad's forces. This is very twisted!

    News from The Associated Press
    Assad is a secularist. He didn't allow islamic extremism to flourish and he had a tolerant society for all religions. Assad himself belongs to a specific school of islamic thought that anti-radical.
    The rebels are islamist supremacists, jihadists.

    But Assad is a dictator and a tyrant. So there is no reason to support him or the jihadi rebels.
    The only course of action that NATO or the US alone or anyone can take is to go in, wipe the floor with both faction and then restore democracy. Anything else is foolish.

  10. #60
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Activists: Syrian Rebels take Christian Village

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    Assad is a secularist. He didn't allow islamic extremism to flourish and he had a tolerant society for all religions. Assad himself belongs to a specific school of islamic thought that anti-radical.
    The rebels are islamist supremacists, jihadists.

    But Assad is a dictator and a tyrant. So there is no reason to support him or the jihadi rebels.
    The only course of action that NATO or the US alone or anyone can take is to go in, wipe the floor with both faction and then restore democracy. Anything else is foolish.
    Restore democracy! Very funny.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •