Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 178

Thread: US plans for '3 days of attack' on Syria

  1. #141
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Seen
    01-03-14 @ 11:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    263

    Re: US plans for '3 days of attack' on Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    I undertand the interview "looked" like he may be high and in fact he may have been I don't know for sure. The main points I am making is that Obama's strike is only going to help a group with Al-Qaeda ties and Assad (or his brother if you think) are not good people.

    I know bad things are happening in Syria, but unfortunately both sides in this are completely dirty and we should not be involved in this since the U.S. actions will only help the bad guys either way.
    Syria had an "Arab Spring"... young dissidents protesting and asking for reform.. Assad came down hard on them and reneged on his promises. That opened the door for rebels and terrorists. I don't know how connected they are to Al Qaeda since intelligence from the area is poor and AQ seems to be a blanket accusation..

  2. #142
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,685

    Re: US plans for '3 days of attack' on Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharona View Post
    So where are the rebels, or terrorists getting large quantities of Sarin gas?

    One possibility would be Sheik Suleiman military base, one of the Assad regime's Chemical weapons test facilities, that was taken by Syrian rebels in December.

    While the rebels claimed to have found no Chemical weapons in the facility I wouldn't really take their word as gold. If their intent was to frame the Assad regime they likely wouldn't alert anyone that they were in possession of WMDs.
    Last edited by jmotivator; 09-10-13 at 10:33 AM.

  3. #143
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Seen
    01-03-14 @ 11:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    263

    Re: US plans for '3 days of attack' on Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Sheik Suleiman military base, one of the Assad regime's Chemical weapons test facilities, that was taken by Syrian rebels in December.
    Thanks for the article...

    Testing versus manufacturing?

    It would be a serious problem if terrorists get a hold of whatever stockpiles they have.

    ...


    As Bashar al-Assad’s hold on power steadily weakens, U.S. officials are increasingly worried that Syria’s weapons of mass destruction could fall into the hands of Islamist extremists, rogue generals or other uncontrollable factions.

    Last week, fighters from a group that the Obama administration has branded a terrorist organization were among rebels who seized the Sheik Suleiman military base near Aleppo, where research on chemical weapons had been conducted. Rebels are also closing in on another base near Aleppo, known as Safirah, which has served as a major production center for such munitions, according to U.S. officials and analysts.

    The opposition Free Syrian Army said it did not find any chemical weapons at the first installation. But the developments have fanned fears that even if Assad does not attack his own people with chemical weapons, he is on the verge of losing control of his formidable arsenal.

  4. #144
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:13 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,806

    Re: US plans for '3 days of attack' on Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    US plans for '3 days of attack' on Syria




    I do not support this kind of action in any way, shape, or form.

    Does anyone think that once we start, we'll not become involved in a much bigger way?

    I see a domino effect happening here, and I don't like it one bit.






    [/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
    I agree with you and strongly suspect you are correct. Let us hope and pray this latest move towards a diplomatic solution works out and no such military action is in the offing.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #145
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,685

    Re: US plans for '3 days of attack' on Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharona View Post
    Thanks for the article...

    Testing versus manufacturing?

    It would be a serious problem if terrorists get a hold of whatever stockpiles they have.

    ...


    As Bashar al-Assad’s hold on power steadily weakens, U.S. officials are increasingly worried that Syria’s weapons of mass destruction could fall into the hands of Islamist extremists, rogue generals or other uncontrollable factions.

    Last week, fighters from a group that the Obama administration has branded a terrorist organization were among rebels who seized the Sheik Suleiman military base near Aleppo, where research on chemical weapons had been conducted. Rebels are also closing in on another base near Aleppo, known as Safirah, which has served as a major production center for such munitions, according to U.S. officials and analysts.

    The opposition Free Syrian Army said it did not find any chemical weapons at the first installation. But the developments have fanned fears that even if Assad does not attack his own people with chemical weapons, he is on the verge of losing control of his formidable arsenal.

    I updated my original post. You can't really take the rebels word with regard to what they found at the facility. Announcing that they have come into possession of WMDs would really have no upside for them.

  6. #146
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Seen
    01-03-14 @ 11:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    263

    Re: US plans for '3 days of attack' on Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    I updated my original post. You can't really take the rebels word with regard to what they found at the facility. Announcing that they have come into possession of WMDs would really have no upside for them.
    Hahahaha.. In Syria I doubt you can take anyone's word for anything.

    You are a good sport.... and I can't pretend to know what's happening in Syria.

  7. #147
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Southern USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    52

    Re: US plans for '3 days of attack' on Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by rhinefire View Post
    "Ruthless", have you ever investigated what America did to the nation of Viet Nam? They are dying still today as a result of our chemical war fare on them. How much Agent Orange did this country dump on southeast Asia?
    Since we're making analogies, how about Nagasaki or Hiroshima? War is hell. I was stationed at a basecamp in Vietnam and without the defoliant (agent orange) I might not be here, along with a lot of other guys, today. Had we not dropped the bombs on Nagasaki and Hiroshima, a lot of you might not be here today. I don't blame our fathers and grandfathers for keeping America safe and secure.

  8. #148
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,572

    Re: US plans for '3 days of attack' on Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharona View Post
    The US has been vocal in opposing chemical weapons since WW1.. Was that just small talk?
    For the most part yes. The U.S. is also the only nation to ever have used a nuclear weapon in war. The point is that cheerleading for U.S. military involvement is not the same as actually sending your own military or footing the bill for that effort. Calling the police to deal with a crime is not the same as actually facing down the criminal yourself.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #149
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: US plans for '3 days of attack' on Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharona View Post
    Syria had an "Arab Spring"... young dissidents protesting and asking for reform.. Assad came down hard on them and reneged on his promises. That opened the door for rebels and terrorists. I don't know how connected they are to Al Qaeda since intelligence from the area is poor and AQ seems to be a blanket accusation..
    If you don't know how connected they are, how can an accurate analysis be done on who to help? This whole, let's just lob bombs on people is ridiculous.

  10. #150
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Seen
    01-03-14 @ 11:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    263

    Re: US plans for '3 days of attack' on Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    If you don't know how connected they are, how can an accurate analysis be done on who to help? This whole, let's just lob bombs on people is ridiculous.
    Infrastructure... not people..

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •