Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 73

Thread: Ed Asner: Hollywood Silent on Syria Because They ‘Don’t Want to Feel Anti-Black[W:43]

  1. #31
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    re: Ed Asner: Hollywood Silent on Syria Because They ‘Don’t Want to Feel Anti-Black[W:43]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Who gives a flying **** what Alec Baldwin or any of those other ****-heads have to say?
    While I agree with your sentiment, the fact is the Alec Baldwins of the world (Baldwin will be getting his own show on MSNBC this October) express their views just as other talking heads like Matthews and others. Most American's don't follow closely what's going on and swallow what they hear or see so they do have influence, albeit a minor one, on public opinion.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  2. #32
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,562

    re: Ed Asner: Hollywood Silent on Syria Because They ‘Don’t Want to Feel Anti-Black[W:43]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Why are all the right-wingers talking about the Iraq invasion and probable Syrian missile strikes as if they are equivalent?
    OK, Skippy, but please explain how "briefly" blowing up some selected stuff either 1) assures a regime change or 2) places the WMDs in more secure hands. Everyone with half a brain knows that if the Syria mission is regime change or to gain control of WMDs that it will require "boots on the ground". Ruining the military capability (along with lots of other targets?) of Syria and then expecting anyone to then govern it without the constant protection of Uncle Sucker (or some outside force) is unrealistic.

    The key difference between the Iraq and Syria "battle plans" is that in Iraq we were expected to maintain order until a new "acceptable" gov't was capable of taking over. They are clearly not equivalent and you have provided no examples of "right wingers" that think so.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #33
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,517

    re: Ed Asner: Hollywood Silent on Syria Because They ‘Don’t Want to Feel Anti-Black[W:43]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Who gives a flying **** what Alec Baldwin or any of those other ****-heads have to say? Why is anybody making a fuss about them shutting their mouths for ONCE in their lives. Frankly I enjoy the silence.
    It's the topic of the thread, dude. If you don't think it's worth discussing, why are you even in it?

    First you deny that there's been a difference, and then you dismiss the difference, that difference being the whole point of the thread, when it's pointed out. That's pretty weak argumentation.

    You: "there hasn't been a difference."

    Me: "Yes, there has; X, Y, and Z."

    You: "Who cares?"



    That's not far from simple, straight-up trolling.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  4. #34
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,741

    re: Ed Asner: Hollywood Silent on Syria Because They ‘Don’t Want to Feel Anti-Black[W:43]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    OK, Skippy, but please explain how "briefly" blowing up some selected stuff either 1) assures a regime change or 2) places the WMDs in more secure hands. Everyone with half a brain knows that if the Syria mission is regime change or to gain control of WMDs that it will require "boots on the ground". Ruining the military capability (along with lots of other targets?) of Syria and then expecting anyone to then govern it without the constant protection of Uncle Sucker (or some outside force) is unrealistic.

    The key difference between the Iraq and Syria "battle plans" is that in Iraq we were expected to maintain order until a new "acceptable" gov't was capable of taking over. They are clearly not equivalent and you have provided no examples of "right wingers" that think so.
    Over and over and over again the right wingers are demanding to know why liberals aren't protesting Syrian strikes when they protested the Iraqi invasion.

    You think we're invading Syria? As in full-on invasion?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #35
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,517

    re: Ed Asner: Hollywood Silent on Syria Because They ‘Don’t Want to Feel Anti-Black[W:43]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I didn't say anything about it not being an act of war. Dump your straw man, respond like an adult, and we'll try again.
    Your post to me was not the post of an "adult." Of course, they never are.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  6. #36
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,741

    re: Ed Asner: Hollywood Silent on Syria Because They ‘Don’t Want to Feel Anti-Black[W:43]

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Your post to me was not the post of an "adult." Of course, they never are.
    What, because I called you a right-winger?

    Fine. Straw man dismissed.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #37
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,562

    re: Ed Asner: Hollywood Silent on Syria Because They ‘Don’t Want to Feel Anti-Black[W:43]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Over and over and over again the right wingers are demanding to know why liberals aren't protesting Syrian strikes when they protested the Iraqi invasion.

    You think we're invading Syria? As in full-on invasion?
    Yes. You must look beyond the "initial plan" and examine the mission objective. Congress will be asked only to approve the mission objective, not to run (dictate?) the details of accomplishing that mission. Note that nobody thought that Iraq or Afghanistan "missions" would last over a decade - that "detail" was not included in the congressional approval. Once you approve getting rid of the hornets, the fact that the plan was to simply poke the nest with a stick and run is irrelevant - you are then in the extermination business.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #38
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,517

    re: Ed Asner: Hollywood Silent on Syria Because They ‘Don’t Want to Feel Anti-Black[W:43]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    What, because I called you a right-winger?
    Mostly because it had the reasoning of a child behind it.

    War is war. Once you start a war, you don't know where it goes. They're already expanding the plans for it, and it hasn't even started yet, so "boots on the ground" is hardly out of the realm of possibility.

    But if you need to split hairs about OK types of war vs. not OK types of war (the people Asner were referring to didn't), you go right ahead. If it makes it easier for you, I'll concede in advance that you're King of the Internet.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  9. #39
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    re: Ed Asner: Hollywood Silent on Syria Because They ‘Don’t Want to Feel Anti-Black[W:43]

    14 Principled Anti-War Celebrities We Fear May Have Been Kidnapped
    Our government is yet again marching us towards a war of choice in the Middle East and our non-partisan, peace-loving celebrities have gone missing since late 2008. We fear the worst.
    14 Principled Anti-War Celebrities We Fear May Have Been Kidnapped

  10. #40
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    re: Ed Asner: Hollywood Silent on Syria Because They ‘Don’t Want to Feel Anti-Black[W:43]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    The last few days of the WH banging the war drum sure sounds like 2002 to me, just with Democrats on the drums this time. So Progs are cool with lobbing bombs and missiles to kill people, just not soldiers with rifles. Good to know. Let's just call the war protests what they actually were - an anti-Republican activity. The hollywood types aren't stumping down Penn. Ave. with signs because they all supported Obama, and Obama has a (D) next to his name. Sorry to call a spade a spade here but if you remember, not a peep of anti-war hollywood types during Libya either. They're hypocrits who should stick with acting and staying in their self stylized hollywood bubble of insanity and not venture out into the real world.
    I'd say you hearing needs to be checked. The BushII war drum beating included a litany of lies to try and convince the American People to INVADE Iraq. Like I keep saying and you Cons keep ignoring, BushII was against just lobbing in a few missiles, he wanted to INVADE.

    Can't speak for all Progessives but this veteran Progressive sees a HUGE difference between punishing a regime for using chemical weapons on men women and children and wholesale slaughter of civilians like in Iraq. Odd how thousands of Iraqi civilians died as collateral damage but even the thought of one civilian being killed by a cruise missiles has Cons all up in arms!

    I doubt you know any spades, much less call them. There is a HUGE difference between the Iraqi war protesters and now. First the Iraqi war protesters had a WAR TO PROTEST. There was an INVASION of Iraq. Thousands of Iraqis dying from US military action and the chaos we unleashed after we INVADED.

    I understand how desperate some Cons are to make a yet to be done limited missile strike the equiv of a massive INVASION with hundreds of thousands of dead Iraqis and thousands of dead Americans.

    But like your first girlfriend said... "That didn't even come close!"

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •