Page 84 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast
Results 831 to 840 of 1200

Thread: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

  1. #831
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,667

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    California was the first state to have it's anti-miscegenation law overturned by court action via the California Supreme Court in 1948. The SCOTUS Loving decision wasn't until 1968.

    The Goodridge v. Department of Public Health case in Massachusetts, the first State to allow Same-sex Civil Marriage was in 2004. It took 20 years for the SCOTUS to address bans on interracial marriage because they wanted to see more states take action before they did. Using that time line, the SCOTUS will be putting off a direct case for another 4-5 years so that more states can have marriage equality.



    >>>>
    Care to provide a source for that bold assertion?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #832
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    1.)No, the FACTS are as I've outlined them and you have not shown where any US court has the grant to determine "fundamental rights" (which are a matter of belief and opinion, NOT a matter of Constitution). And again, equal rights and gay marriage are not the same issue. As long as the regulation is applied equally to the population it comports with constitutional equal rights.

    2.) As for the slippery slope argument, your argument seems to be wanting a crystal ball gazing component. In your opinion allowing gay marriage will not lead to allowing polygamous marriage. Other opinions vary. Only time will tell if we do indeed slip farther down that slope. That you call your prediction that it won't slide further fact is just plain silly.
    1.) oh you are just stating random fcts that werent begin discussed and you think that fools somebody?
    yep nothign you sated changes ANYTHING i said, NOTHING

    2.) doesnt need s cyrstal ball there factually is no connection in law and precedence that can be used

    so everything stated just as i said it was
    that's a nice opinion of what you think has been said but its meaningless to the facts, but please feel free to make up more lies and strawmen.
    Facts destroy your failed post
    and as always if you disagree PLEASE show us any FACTS equal rights being granted to gays leading to a slippery slope of something else, we cant wait to read it!
    Last edited by AGENT J; 09-13-13 at 05:26 PM.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #833
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Care to provide a source for that bold assertion?

    That fact that it took 20 years is a matter of history. The rest is my opinion but the SCOTUS will often decline cases to allow a situation to "mature" or "ripen" until they feel it is time to take action by selecting the "proper case".


    >>>>

  4. #834
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) oh you are just stating random fcts that werent begin discussed and you think that fools somebody?
    yep nothign you sated changes ANYTHING i said, NOTHING

    2.) doesnt need s cyrstal ball there factually is no connection in law and precedence that can be used

    so everything stayed just as i said it was
    that's a nice opinion of what you think has been said but its meaningless to the facts, but please feel free to make up more lies and strawmen.
    Facts destroy your failed post
    and as always if you disagree PLEASE show us any FACTS equal rights being granted to gays leading to a slippery slope of something else, we cant wait to read it!
    See post #805, standard answer whenever you alter my posts.

  5. #835
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,667

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    That fact that it took 20 years is a matter of history. The rest is my opinion but the SCOTUS will often decline cases to allow a situation to "mature" or "ripen" until they feel it is time to take action by selecting the "proper case".


    >>>>
    So you feel that popularity alone now changes the meaning of the constitution?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #836
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    See post #805, standard answer whenever you alter my posts.
    exaxtly! thats what i thought you got nothing
    I told you this deflection will fail every time and heres my standard answer back to you

    just a reminder of what i said last time you tried this deflection and derailment

    "I like it, its a convenient and courteous method to assure a poster know exactly what im responding for and it creates less confusion.
    If you do not sorry but the solution is easy, simply dont respond to me"

    and just a friendly DP participant FYI in case you missed it a mod commented on your concerns
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...w-95-a-10.html


    Facts destroy your failed post
    and as always if you disagree PLEASE show us any FACTS equal rights being granted to gays leading to a slippery slope of something else, we cant wait to read it!
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #837
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    So you feel that popularity alone now changes the meaning of the constitution?

    Not in the least.


    The Constitution clearly says in the 14th Amendment that ALL persons shall be afforded the equal protection of the law and due process and that no state shall abridge the privileges and immunities of it's citizen, and the common understanding is that such abridgement, when needful, must be based on a compelling government interest and not simply capricious and invidious actions against it's citizens.


    It was there all the time (since the passage of the 14th Amendment), however it took men time to have the courage to address it. In 1948 there wasn't the national will to see anti-miscegenation law overturned. The overturning occurred in 1968, doesn't mean that they weren't still unconstitutional in 1948.



    >>>>

  8. #838
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,667

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    Not in the least.


    The Constitution clearly says in the 14th Amendment that ALL persons shall be afforded the equal protection of the law and due process and that no state shall abridge the privileges and immunities of it's citizen, and the common understanding is that such abridgement, when needful, must be based on a compelling government interest and not simply capricious and invidious actions against it's citizens.


    It was there all the time (since the passage of the 14th Amendment), however it took men time to have the courage to address it. In 1948 there wasn't the national will to see anti-miscegenation law overturned. The overturning occurred in 1968, doesn't mean that they weren't still unconstitutional in 1948.



    >>>>
    Yet a strong personal desire cannot become a reason to require a compelling state interest to deny its consideration or all manner of laws would have to be abandoned. Many wish to buy/sell beer on Sunday (or at 3 AM) - what compelling state interest can be said to exist to deny that strong personal desire?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #839
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Yet a strong personal desire cannot become a reason to require a compelling state interest to deny its consideration or all manner of laws would have to be abandoned. Many wish to buy/sell beer on Sunday (or at 3 AM) - what compelling state interest can be said to exist to deny that strong personal desire?

    Since the such laws are general in nature and do not target a specific group, then the standard is much, MUCH lower and would fall under the 10th Amendment power of the state to regulate commerce. On the other hand if a Blue Law that said that Men can buy beer on Sunday but women can't, in such a case women could challenge the law and force the state to articulate why there was a compelling interest.


    >>>>

  10. #840
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,667

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    Since the such laws are general in nature and do not target a specific group, then the standard is much, MUCH lower and would fall under the 10th Amendment power of the state to regulate commerce. On the other hand if a Blue Law that said that Men can buy beer on Sunday but women can't, in such a case women could challenge the law and force the state to articulate why there was a compelling interest.


    >>>>
    Marriage laws target no group since sex is not required of marriage, sex can be had (or not had) in or out of a marital relationship. The beer sales law targets a group - those that work odd shifts.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Page 84 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •