Page 83 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast
Results 821 to 830 of 1200

Thread: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

  1. #821
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    refer to post #805. Your opinions are valueless.

    Btw, there are many types of logic, however there is no such thing as "factual logic". And once again, not an equal rights issue (except in YOUR opinion, which you have renedered valueless).

    the law and courts disagree with your failed opinion
    your deflecitons fail again
    Facts destroy your failed post
    and as always if you disagree PLEASE show us any FACTS equal rights being granted to gays leading to a slippery slope of something else, we cant wait to read it!
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #822
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.)tell that to the 3 states supreme courts that already did so and disagree with your basely false opinion
    2.) good thing thats factually not what equal rights for gays is about

    your mistake, next time try to understand whats actually going on,
    Neither the SCOTUS nor any US court has the grant to determine "fundamental rights". They only have the grant to determine CONSTITUTIONAL rights. You confuse flowery rah-rah speech for legal precedent.

  3. #823

    On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Interesting that you use as your authority on the matter an entity that has yet to define the "right" of marriage to be extended to same sex couples. What could be taking them so long?

  4. #824
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Neither the SCOTUS nor any US court has the grant to determine "fundamental rights". They only have the grant to determine CONSTITUTIONAL rights. You confuse flowery rah-rah speech for legal precedent.
    that's a nice opinion of what you think has been said but its meaningless to the facts, but please feel free to make up more lies and strawmen.
    Facts destroy your failed post
    and as always if you disagree PLEASE show us any FACTS equal rights being granted to gays leading to a slippery slope of something else, we cant wait to read it!
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #825
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,680

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
    Interesting that you use as your authority on the matter an entity that has yet to define the "right" of marriage to be extended to same sex couples. What could be taking them so long?
    Likely because a gay man is still a man and is treated exactly like any other man, a gay woman is still a woman and is treated exactly like any other woman.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #826

    On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Likely because a gay man is still a man and is treated exactly like any other man, a gay woman is still a woman and is treated exactly like any other woman.
    Correct. And any man has the option to marry any other woman and any woman has the option to marry any other man. Fair and equal application.

  7. #827
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
    Interesting that you use as your authority on the matter an entity that has yet to define the "right" of marriage to be extended to same sex couples. What could be taking them so long?

    California was the first state to have it's anti-miscegenation law overturned by court action via the California Supreme Court in 1948. The SCOTUS Loving decision wasn't until 1968.

    The Goodridge v. Department of Public Health case in Massachusetts, the first State to allow Same-sex Civil Marriage was in 2004. It took 20 years for the SCOTUS to address bans on interracial marriage because they wanted to see more states take action before they did. Using that time line, the SCOTUS will be putting off a direct case for another 4-5 years so that more states can have marriage equality.



    >>>>

  8. #828
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
    Correct. And any man has the option to marry any other woman and any woman has the option to marry any other man. Fair and equal application.

    That same logic was presented in the Loving case by the Commonwealth of Virginia (to paraphrase: Negros can marry Negros, White can marry Whites), how well did that work?


    >>>>>

  9. #829

    On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    California was the first state to have it's anti-miscegenation law overturned by court action via the California Supreme Court in 1948. The SCOTUS Loving decision wasn't until 1968.

    The Goodridge v. Department of Public Health case in Massachusetts, the first State to allow Same-sex Civil Marriage was in 2004. It took 20 years for the SCOTUS to address bans on interracial marriage because they wanted to see more states take action before they did. Using that time line, the SCOTUS will be putting off a direct case for another 4-5 years so that more states can have marriage equality.



    >>>>
    Perhaps. I'm sure polygamists, proponents of incest, proponents of beastiality, and even NAMBLA are hoping for a favorable timeline as well.

  10. #830
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    that's a nice opinion of what you think has been said but its meaningless to the facts, but please feel free to make up more lies and strawmen.
    Facts destroy your failed post
    and as always if you disagree PLEASE show us any FACTS equal rights being granted to gays leading to a slippery slope of something else, we cant wait to read it!
    No, the FACTS are as I've outlined them and you have not shown where any US court has the grant to determine "fundamental rights" (which are a matter of belief and opinion, NOT a matter of Constitution). And again, equal rights and gay marriage are not the same issue. As long as the regulation is applied equally to the population it comports with constitutional equal rights.

    As for the slippery slope argument, your argument seems to be wanting a crystal ball gazing component. In your opinion allowing gay marriage will not lead to allowing polygamous marriage. Other opinions vary. Only time will tell if we do indeed slip farther down that slope. That you call your prediction that it won't slide further fact is just plain silly.

Page 83 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •