Page 66 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116 ... LastLast
Results 651 to 660 of 1200

Thread: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

  1. #651
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,808

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    You asked, I answered. You don't like the answer, so you dismiss, ridicule, and label it. Sadly predictable.
    like had nothing to do with it, he was just pointing out why that answer factually fails and isnt legitimate, logical argument.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #652
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,803

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ontologuy View Post
    Your premises are false .. but I realize that in order to continue discussing the matter, you need to assume I'm homophobic, as you're frustrated that I won't buy into the "gay marriage" "same-sex marriage" oxymoronic speak that the left wing has permeated the media with for so many years, subconsciously falsely influencing people to think that "marriage" has meant other than what it has always truly meant: between a man and a woman as husband and wife.

    You need to understand that I can't be, in effect, brainwashed in this manner.

    It's always been crystal clear obvious that "marriage" means "between a man and a woman as husband and wife" and has never meant anything other than that, and that anything other than that was simply not a "marriage" no matter what it was erroneously called.

    Despite left-wing PC and other media campaigns, the greater majority of society, though accepting of same-sex committed romantic domestic partnership civil union relationships, wants a different name associated with them than "marriage", and rightly so, as was demonstrated in a Gallup poll posted sometime ago in another thread at this forum.

    That's reality, and, it's a respectable one, as it respects both definitive propriety, a respect for the time-honored meaning of words, and society's sensibilities.
    You are literally whining over semantics. Stomping your feet and repeating over and over that YOU CANT CHANGE WHAT MARRIAGE MEANS! WAAAAAHHHH!

    Oh, you hide it behind smart-sounding words, but that's what you're doing. Whining about definitions instead of seeing the people.

    Definitive propriety. That's a laugh. Ask an American for a fag. You'll get a weird look. Then ask a Brit the same. Let me know how they respond.

    Guess what? I don't care that this supposed majority of Americans want gay couples to use a different word. (not actually true, as of late) We don't decide minority rights on the whims of the majority. You don't have the right to define a word. Marriage, on the other hand, is a right, and gender-based classifications undergo an intermediate level of constitutional scrutiny under the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment to the United States Constitution. Banning same-sex marriage does not pass this test.

    But continue arguing over a dictionary if you like. My argument is legal.
    Last edited by Deuce; 09-11-13 at 09:58 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #653
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
    Why is the term "birth defect" offensive to you?

    Does the person with Down's Syndrome or Turner's Syndrome or Kleinfelter's Syndrome get offended that their condition is termed a "birth defect?" I don't think so. I imagine that they understand it for what it is and the term describing their reality is simply that... A term. Applying emotion to it only confuses the reality.

    This is the same reason that every few years we have to come up with a new word for the "handicapped" err I mean, "disabled" err I mean, "DIFFERENTLY ABLED"

    If it is a "birth defect" then it is what it is and it shouldn't trigger angst. If you believe it is not a "birth defect" and hearing the term used to explain homosexuality causes you to feel that homosexuals are being attacked by the use of the term this would only indicate that you believe the term "birth defect" means someone is less valued than another based on a defect which was out of their control. Since there are conditions that are acceptably termed "defects" as those listed above, one could only conclude you feel they are lower in value than yourself.
    Are you in the habit of going up to people with Down's Syndrome and telling them they have a birth defect?

    If homosexuality is related to a birth defect then that will become apparent in time but claiming it is based on a proposed model and a political pundit's opinion is beyond ridiculous. It is nothing more than a blatant attempt to belittle gay people because they are different. Why claim gays must have a defect because some aspect of their biology differs from yours even though it does not cause them any impairment, dysfunction, or distress? The only reason a person would do so is to disparage them.
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 09-11-13 at 10:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  4. #654
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Ug..........
    There you go...certainly more predictable than the climate or weather...so, got nothing huh?
    "...But resist we much, we must and we will much, about that be committed..." --- the right Reverend Alfred Charles "Al" Shaprton, Jr.

  5. #655
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    like had nothing to do with it, he was just pointing out why that answer factually fails and isnt legitimate, logical argument.
    Sure it is J, the whole concept of marriage was to procreate, as well as ensure the family unit.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #656
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,803

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Sure it is J, the whole concept of marriage was to procreate, as well as ensure the family unit.
    So what about infertile couples? Do we allow them to marry?

    Does just being a family unit do well enough?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #657
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,808

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Sure it is J, the whole concept of marriage was to procreate, as well as ensure the family unit.
    thanks for your opinion but its meaningless to fact.
    procreation has nothing to do with legal marriage, nothing

    hell procreation has nothing to do with any marriage the parties involved dont want it too

    so like i said any argument based on procreation about legal marriage is a complete failure, theres no changing that fact
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #658
    Sage
    Ontologuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,516

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You are literally whining over semantics. Stomping your feet and repeating over and over that YOU CANT CHANGE WHAT MARRIAGE MEANS! WAAAAAHHHH!
    No ..

    .. But that's clearly what you are doing.

    Stop whining over the word "marriage" and simply choose a properly accurate different word.

    It really is that simple.


    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Oh, you hide it behind smart-sounding words, but that's what you're doing. Whining about definitions instead of seeing the people.
    Rather than whine about being unable to compete, you might do well to just choose an appropriately accurate word to describe SS-couples' relevant relationships.


    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Definitive propriety. That's a laugh. Ask an American for a fag. You'll get a weird look. Then ask a Brit the same. Let me know how they respond.
    Of course you scoff at properly respecting words and their time-honored meaning, because that's what's got 63% of the population opposed to the oxymoronic term "gay marriage".

    If you can just corrupt the word "marriage", all your problems are solved.




    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Guess what? I don't care that this supposed majority of Americans want gay couples to use a different word.
    Well .. that's truly sad .. .. and self-defeatist .. .. not to mention arrogant.


    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    (not actually true, as of late)
    False, it is still true.

    Just see the new thread.




    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    We don't decide minority rights on the whims of the majority. You don't have the right to define a word. Marriage, on the other hand, is a right, and gender-based classifications undergo an intermediate level of constitutional scrutiny under the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment to the United States Constitution. Banning same-sex marriage does not pass this test.
    It's not a rights issue.

    The word "marriage" is already defined, 12,000 years ago, and remains "between a man and a woman as husband and wife" to this day.

    Your argument here is tantamount to saying its a rights violation against cat owners for not letting them call their shows "dog shows".

    Ridiculous.


    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    But continue arguing over a dictionary if you like.
    That's what you're doing.

    I don't need to play dictionary games because the meaning of the word "marriage" was really never in doubt.


    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    My argument is legal.
    No, it isn't.
    You don't trust Trump? Well, there's only one way to leverage him to do what's economically right for us all: Powerful American Political Alliance. Got courage?! .. and a mere $5.00?

  9. #659
    Guru
    Juanita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    now? COLORADO
    Last Seen
    04-27-16 @ 03:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Sure you don't



    If homosexual sex had a purpose and rationality evolution would have adapted to it by now

    It's just irrational filthy behavior


    Homosexual marriages have the same purpose that heterosexual marriages have--a commitment to love, honor and cherish... Your prudish opinions on sexuality do not matter..

  10. #660
    Guru
    Juanita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    now? COLORADO
    Last Seen
    04-27-16 @ 03:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Who said anything about not accepting homosexual relationships? They will happen no matter what...how many of those allowed the full rights of marriage? Tolerance we will accept, equivalence to heterosexual marriage is not acceptable...sorry. It is not the same, should not be encouraged, no requirement to accept this unnecessary demand.



    Before marriage became a legal institution, it still existed. Who says that two men or two women living together in Greece, Rome, Asia, etc. were not married by their own local customs? Jumping the broom, hand fasting, tying the hands together were accepted "marriage" ceremonies of many societies... It was not until organized religion put fear into the hearts and minds of the populace, that it went underground--or into the closet...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •