Page 51 of 120 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 1200

Thread: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

  1. #501
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    The only difference between a "slippery slope" and incremental-ism is whether the person using it is a supporter or opponent of any given policy. I don't need to "prove" anything to you as your opinion, approval, endorsement, acceptance are not relevant to anything I believe.
    Animals and children cannot sign legal contracts. End of slippery slope.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #502
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Animals and children cannot sign legal contracts. End of slippery slope.
    They can if we say they can. All law is arbitrary. The law said blacks couldn't vote and then the law changed. Contracts don't even have to be signed. Slippery slopes don't end where some guy on the interwebz says they end because it is convenient for their position at the time.

  3. #503
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:29 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,564

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    That is no answer. In fact it is the most amazing example of circular logic and double-talk I have seen so far in this thread. Now you are talking about the possibility of same-sex marriages "altering current laws." Marriage is marriage, the laws applying to heterosexual couples would simply apply to same sex couples. This includes divorce, property rights, death benefits, adoption, step-parenting, natural born children, etc., etc. You keep "hedging" because you have no leg to stand on "legally speaking."

    Just in case you forgot, here is your quote again:



    YOU assert that same sex marriage may not operate under current LAWS concerning legal rights and obligations of traditional marriage. Therefore the onus is on YOU to provide a factual basis for such an assertion. You have been challenged to provide any real example of currently existing law which could be not be interpreted to affect same-sex marriages the same way they do "traditional" marriages. Absent such evidence you have no argument.

    We are all waiting patiently for your evidence.
    I want to "like" this post about a dozen times.....but I can't.

    My daughters grew up about 8 houses away from a lesbian couple.

    They were in fact some of the nicest ladies going. Had a beautiful chocolate lab.
    We had a very white-ish yellow lab and a black lab, so naturally my family and these ladies had a common bond.

    For anyone to suggest to me that they should not be allowed to get "married" because of some bull-feces religious dogma is infuriating.

    They were respectful, wonderful, engaging, intelligent, entertaining, classy, and just flat-out good people.

    It's fine for anyone to say "my religion doesn't condone same-sex marriage", but it's not fine to suggest that nobody should condone it, and even worse to say the legal/state/government systems shouldn't recognize it.

    Preventing two consenting adults from having a formally and legally recognized commitment to each other is just plain ignorant.

    It's quite hypocritical too as most of the people who wish to prevent SSM also typically soapbox against promiscuity and/or pre-marital sex, or "living together in sin".

  4. #504
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:29 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,564

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    The institution of gay marriage is still in the building process. You nor anyone else knows what that institution is going to look like when it is completed.

    The institution of "traditional" or "straight" marriage is still in the building process. You nor anyone else knows what that institution is going to look like when it is completed.


    Now...isn't that equally as true as what you've written?

    How about we just erase "marriage" completely from all society, for everyone?

    After all - most gay kids come from straight, married parents.

  5. #505
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    They can if we say they can. All law is arbitrary. The law said blacks couldn't vote and then the law changed. Contracts don't even have to be signed. Slippery slopes don't end where some guy on the interwebz says they end because it is convenient for their position at the time.
    Ok. Supporting heterosexual marriage means you'll eventually support child rape. Ban heterosexual marriage.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #506
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Ok. Supporting heterosexual marriage means you'll eventually support child rape. Ban heterosexual marriage.
    I don't support government involvement in marriage at all, and it doesn't change that the law is not a static thing. Minors can already legally contract under certain circumstances.

  7. #507
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    They can if we say they can. All law is arbitrary. The law said blacks couldn't vote and then the law changed. Contracts don't even have to be signed. Slippery slopes don't end where some guy on the interwebz says they end because it is convenient for their position at the time.
    Ok, so then let's take a .look at all slippery slopes. Marriage leads to rape. Let's kill everyone, then no rape. Got it, thank you for your wonderful idea

    Now in the real world, where marriage doesn't lead to rape, we will allow gay marriage eventually.

  8. #508
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Ok, so then let's take a .look at all slippery slopes. Marriage leads to rape. Let's kill everyone, then no rape. Got it, thank you for your wonderful idea

    Now in the real world, where marriage doesn't lead to rape, we will allow gay marriage eventually.
    no, that is your idea. Your inability to conceptualize except in a crass, elementary way, however, has already been duly noted

  9. #509
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,903

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    That is no answer. In fact it is the most amazing example of circular logic and double-talk I have seen so far in this thread. Now you are talking about the possibility of same-sex marriages "altering current laws." Marriage is marriage, the laws applying to heterosexual couples would simply apply to same sex couples. This includes divorce, property rights, death benefits, adoption, step-parenting, natural born children, etc., etc. You keep "hedging" because you have no leg to stand on "legally speaking."

    Just in case you forgot, here is your quote again:



    YOU assert that same sex marriage may not operate under current LAWS concerning legal rights and obligations of traditional marriage. Therefore the onus is on YOU to provide a factual basis for such an assertion. You have been challenged to provide any real example of currently existing law which could be not be interpreted to affect same-sex marriages the same way they do "traditional" marriages. Absent such evidence you have no argument.

    We are all waiting patiently for your evidence.
    Our marriage laws were written with the traditional nuclear family in mind, whose basic constituents are a mother, a father, and a child and is the primary unit for ensuring the procreation of human beings and the preservation of our society. This is considered the normal view of marriage. The physical makeup between a man and a woman compliments one another. Same sex marriage is abnormal in comparison. How can normal and abnormal operate under the same laws without altering them? They can't.

    Your argument comes from the stance that homosexuality is normal. I do not share that view. In fact in reason believe homosexual couples who wish to establish a union between themselves insisting on government allow them to be endowed with the same marriage as in the traditional sense is for the purpose to validate to society their relationship as normal.

    There has been a great effort by advocacy groups to paint homosexual behavior as normal. There has also been a lot of sanitizing of their past relations with unpopular organizations in their earlier years of advocacy to make them more mainstream and acceptable. There is currently a push to introduce homosexuality to elementary children in public schools as being normal. Get em while they're young. It is also depicted as normal everyday through television viewing. If all a person watched on television was HGTV, they would be under the impression that 2/3 of the country is gay because every 3rd or 4th episode is either a gay decorator or a gay couple looking for a house when in fact the percentage of the population that are gay is in the single digits.

  10. #510
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    no, that is your idea. Your inability to conceptualize except in a crass, elementary way, however, has already been duly noted
    Hey just following your lead that gay marriage will lead to the act of pedophelia being legalized. That's just as silly.

Page 51 of 120 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •