Page 111 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1200

Thread: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

  1. #1101
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,798

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Nobody cares whether or not you approve or accept it. Seriously, get over yourself. This isn't a discussion about how you should think. How on earth do you perceive the state as trying to "force you" to accept it as "normal?" Some kind of mind control ray? What, I'm supposed to believe that if the state recognizes same-sex marriage, you're going to change your mind? You'll suddenly think it's ok?

    No, my friend, this is not about the state forcing you to accept something as normal. This is about you. You don't want to accept it as normal, and you want to make damned sure nobody else does either.

    Forcing you. Laughable. It is laughable that you think this has anything to do with your opinion.
    yep you nailed it, anytime somebody says " forcing me not only to accept it, but accept it as normal behavior" everybody honest just laughs

    when people have no valid arguments they just make up failed strawmen
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #1102
    Be different, be honest
    EdwinWillers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Divided States of Kardashia
    Last Seen
    12-25-15 @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,361

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    yep you nailed it, anytime somebody says " forcing me not only to accept it, but accept it as normal behavior" everybody honest just laughs

    when people have no valid arguments they just make up failed strawmen
    "Strawmen"
    Who chimes "No Absolutes!" chimes absolutely.

    zoom zoom

  3. #1103
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwinWillers View Post
    "Get over myself?" Seriously, I was over myself a long time ago. But if you don't like where I'm coming from on this topic, maybe - just maybe it's you who needs to get over that -- unless of course you have something substantive to add beyond your opinion on how "laughable" you think everything is.

    Maybe, for example, you could provide some facts demonstrating the humor in what I posted. Why it's humorous, what about it makes it humorous, or perhaps the comedic elements you found in it that makes it so humorous. Of course in keeping with your own criteria, they need to be facts, not your opinions.

    For example, one might - say - point to someone's chosen subtitle of "Outer space potato man" and find the humor in such a person lecturing anyone with "how on earth..." they perceive anything.

    The comedic elements there of course being quite obvious.

    KWIM?
    You want a fact? Ok.

    Nobody is forcing you to accept anything. And nobody really cares whether or not you do. The state isn't forcing you to accept anything. Gay people aren't forcing you to accept anything. Even after same-sex marriage is legal throughout the nation, you'll have your first amendment right to sit here and whine on internet forums about how terrible those gays are.

    How about you present some facts, starting with exactly how legalizing same-sex marriage would even affect you. Two dudes can get married already in several states. Do you love your wife any less? Your marriage less meaningful? Feel any different about your children?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #1104
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,798

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwinWillers View Post
    "Strawmen"
    yep, thats what it factually is and thats what we all do when we read it, we laugh

    let us know when you have any facts to back up your failed strawman, we'd love to read them
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #1105
    Be different, be honest
    EdwinWillers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Divided States of Kardashia
    Last Seen
    12-25-15 @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,361

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You want a fact? Ok.

    Nobody is forcing you to accept anything. And nobody really cares whether or not you do. The state isn't forcing you to accept anything. Gay people aren't forcing you to accept anything. Even after same-sex marriage is legal throughout the nation, you'll have your first amendment right to sit here and whine on internet forums about how terrible those gays are.
    Well laws may be voluntary in outer space potato land (seriously - you need to change your subtitle), but here on earth laws are binding and come with the very real threat of force if one doesn't comply. For your own edification, you might want to look up what force is attendant with this particular law - what penalties the proponents of the law are seeking to ensure compliance.

    No one is forcing me to accept anything? Then why the law?
    Nobody really cares whether or not I do? Then why the law?
    The state isn't forcing me to accept anything? Already asked, then why the law?
    Gay people aren't forcing me to accept anything? Already asked, but then why the law?

    W/r to the first amendment - I suspect you think you're being funny or cute, but consider what recently happened in Canada (and please, no puerile snarks about Canada not being America):
    Ottawa, Ontario – The Supreme Court of Canada has ruled that Biblical speech opposing homosexual behavior, including in written form, is essentially a hate crime. Source.
    And if you want something a little closer to home, consider this recent ruling:
    SANTA FE – The New Mexico Supreme Court ruled unanimously on Thursday that Christian photographers may not refuse to shoot homosexual ‘weddings’ in the state, as all citizens must ‘compromise … to accommodate the contrasting views of others.’ Source.
    No one is forcing me to accept anything? Then why the law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    How about you present some facts, starting with exactly how legalizing same-sex marriage would even affect you. Two dudes can get married already in several states. Do you love your wife any less? Your marriage less meaningful? Feel any different about your children?
    This is an asinine question, if not for its sheer irrelevance then for its sheer inanity. Good grief.

    Do you honestly think I oppose homosexual marriage because it would diminish my love for my wife? Is that your premise?
    Is it your belief my opposition to homosexual marriage is because it will make *my* marriage less meaningful?
    Or do you really, truly believe that I'm opposed to homosexual marriage because I think it'll change how I feel for my children?

    Who filled you such crap? Where did you acquire such stupid premises and why in the world (yours or mine - seriously, you need to change your subtitle) - why in the world did you adopt them so as to repeat them publicly like this to embarrass yourself in the process?

    Is that really what you think is motivating the opposition to homosexual marriage?
    Who chimes "No Absolutes!" chimes absolutely.

    zoom zoom

  6. #1106
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,798

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwinWillers View Post
    Well laws may be voluntary in outer space potato land (seriously - you need to change your subtitle), but here on earth laws are binding and come with the very real threat of force if one doesn't comply. For your own edification, you might want to look up what force is attendant with this particular law - what penalties the proponents of the law are seeking to ensure compliance.

    No one is forcing me to accept anything? Then why the law?
    Nobody really cares whether or not I do? Then why the law?
    The state isn't forcing me to accept anything? Already asked, then why the law?
    Gay people aren't forcing me to accept anything? Already asked, but then why the law?

    W/r to the first amendment - I suspect you think you're being funny or cute, but consider what recently happened in Canada (and please, no puerile snarks about Canada not being America): And if you want something a little closer to home, consider this recent ruling:
    No one is forcing me to accept anything? Then why the law?

    This is an asinine question, if not for its sheer irrelevance then for its sheer inanity. Good grief.

    Do you honestly think I oppose homosexual marriage because it would diminish my love for my wife? Is that your premise?
    Is it your belief my opposition to homosexual marriage is because it will make *my* marriage less meaningful?
    Or do you really, truly believe that I'm opposed to homosexual marriage because I think it'll change how I feel for my children?

    Who filled you such crap? Where did you acquire such stupid premises and why in the world (yours or mine - seriously, you need to change your subtitle) - why in the world did you adopt them so as to repeat them publicly like this to embarrass yourself in the process?

    Is that really what you think is motivating the opposition to homosexual marriage?
    and yet there is still no force
    Canada doesnt matter to the US and those photographers still dont "accept" homosexuality.
    the force acceptance argument is and has always been a failuer.

    why the law then? to protect peoples rights.

    do all people accept that minorities are equal? women are equal? other religions are equal? interracial marriages are ok? etc etc? NOPE. but wait how is that possible since theres laws protecting those rights. Oh i know how because laws arent forcing acceptance. A fact that wont change. You are still free to think what ever you want.

    Your strawman fails.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #1107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwinWillers View Post
    Who filled you such crap? Where did you acquire such stupid premises and why in the world (yours or mine - seriously, you need to change your subtitle) - why in the world did you adopt them so as to repeat them publicly like this to embarrass yourself in the process?

    Is that really what you think is motivating the opposition to homosexual marriage?
    Those comments came from conservatives like yourself. Ever hear legalizing gay marriage will destroy the sanctity of marriage? That came from YOUR side. YOUR side is the one that spouts BS like that.

  8. #1108
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwinWillers View Post
    Then why the law?
    The law isn't about your opinion. The law doesn't change your opinion. The law being changed says the government will recognize somebody else's marriage. What on earth do you think that has to do with you? Like, somebody is going to come to your house and make sure you're approving of every same-sex wedding? I don't get it. What do you think this has to do with you?

    W/r to the first amendment - I suspect you think you're being funny or cute, but consider what recently happened in Canada (and please, no puerile snarks about Canada not being America): And if you want something a little closer to home, consider this recent ruling:
    Public accommodation businesses don't have the same rights to discriminate. I'm a pilot. I cannot kick you off my airplane for being a Christian. It's against the law.

    Do you honestly think I oppose homosexual marriage because it would diminish my love for my wife? Is that your premise?
    Is it your belief my opposition to homosexual marriage is because it will make *my* marriage less meaningful?
    Or do you really, truly believe that I'm opposed to homosexual marriage because I think it'll change how I feel for my children?

    Who filled you such crap? Where did you acquire such stupid premises and why in the world (yours or mine - seriously, you need to change your subtitle) - why in the world did you adopt them so as to repeat them publicly like this to embarrass yourself in the process?
    No, I ask those silly questions to demonstrate my point, which you've confirmed quite nicely: you cannot demonstrate any harm caused to you, or anybody else, by two dudes getting married.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #1109
    Be different, be honest
    EdwinWillers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Divided States of Kardashia
    Last Seen
    12-25-15 @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,361

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    and yet there is still no force
    Canada doesnt matter to the US and those photographers still dont "accept" homosexuality.
    the force acceptance argument is and has always been a failuer.

    why the law then? to protect peoples rights.

    do all people accept that minorities are equal? women are equal? other religions are equal? interracial marriages are ok? etc etc? NOPE. but wait how is that possible since theres laws protecting those rights. Oh i know how because laws arent forcing acceptance. A fact that wont change. You are still free to think what ever you want.

    Your strawman fails.
    You really need to revisit your assumption of what "strawman" means, not to mention how and when to accuse others of using it.
    Who chimes "No Absolutes!" chimes absolutely.

    zoom zoom

  10. #1110
    Be different, be honest
    EdwinWillers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Divided States of Kardashia
    Last Seen
    12-25-15 @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,361

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Those comments came from conservatives like yourself. Ever hear legalizing gay marriage will destroy the sanctity of marriage? That came from YOUR side. YOUR side is the one that spouts BS like that.
    Somehow I don't think Deuce is a conservative. KWIM?

    Moreover, I have NEVER spouted such BS, for that's precisely what it is - and illogical on its face. And given I know of no conservatives who employ such arguments, it's very very likely what arguments they have put forth that perhaps seem similar were completely misconstrued, misrepresented, and/or totally misunderstood. THAT I wouldn't find the least bit surprising in discussions like this.
    Who chimes "No Absolutes!" chimes absolutely.

    zoom zoom

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •