Page 110 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1200

Thread: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

  1. #1091
    Be different, be honest
    EdwinWillers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Divided States of Kardashia
    Last Seen
    12-25-15 @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,361

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    < snip >
    But at least you're finally admitting what the real issue is. You think homosexuality is disgusting. It's not about some morals of society, some appeal to the authority of your God. You think it's disgusting, so you want the law to reflect that.

    This is America, my friend. We don't write the law based on your personal disapproval of something. The government of the United States can't make gender-based classifications like this unless they show an important state interest in doing so. Tell me what that interest is. State interest. Not yours.
    < snip >
    You may not have noticed what the point of this thread is so given your question, I'll take a second here and note that it's about the government of the United States making gender-based classifications and enacting laws accordingly. I might then ask you the same thing - what is the State interest there?

    Personally, I don't want [more] laws - particularly in this area. Personally I'm absolutely and unequivocally opposed to this law - for a variety of reasons, but primarily because this IS America, my friend and we don't write laws based on anyone's or any group's personal approval of something - particularly when such laws (and the assertion of the OP, btw) are intended to secure the approval of the State - and then the compliance of the citizenry (agree or not) in the process.

    Now, you may not think two grown men lustfully gorging themselves on one another remotely disgusting; you may even count it a "family value." I don't know. That's your issue, not mine. My issue is you, or them, or the State telling me, forcing me not only to accept it, but accept it as normal behavior, as well as all its attendant consequences without the right to protest and speak out against it.

    You may care less about morality; you may care even less about God; but I'll repeat it, this is America, my friend. We don't write the law based on someone's personal disapproval of something - be it someone's disapproval of morals, or be it someone's disapproval of God either.
    Who chimes "No Absolutes!" chimes absolutely.

    zoom zoom

  2. #1092
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwinWillers View Post
    And yet, you can't refute a single thing I’ve said.
    There's not much to refute. If one does not understand the basics there's not much to their argument that lends itself to discussion. Education, perhaps, but not discussion.

    I’m seeing baseless assertions may be a critical part of your debate style. W/r to the basics though, I don't see it as my responsibility to explain them to you. If you don't (or won't) take responsibility for the confusion they apparently are causing you, that would be your problem, not mine. W/r to definitions – I suggest Dictionary.com - Free Online English Dictionary as it’s quite user-friendly.
    Ah. So you don't understand them. Noted.

    Well I fail to see how it's my responsibility to educate you on the difference between answering a simple question and [supposed] logical fallacies, let alone how to conduct a civil conversation without repeatedly dodging honest, straightforward questions. Now if what is/isn't a logical fallacy is what's confusing you - there are numerous sites on the web where you can get a wealth of clarification. I don't think it necessary I google them for you – I trust you can manage the few seconds to get access to all the help you need.
    Ah. So you lack the ability to not debate with logical fallacies. Noted

    I’m not sure what you mean by, "WHAT?" It could not have been any clearer. I sense projection may be a critical part of your debate style too.
    Yes, you certainly could have been more clear. Try again.

    No – it’s definitely quite clear. I’m not sure why you’re struggling so with the concepts - and for whatever reason, attempting to blame me for your struggles in the process. Tsk. Tsk. I see deflection may be a critical part of your debate style.
    So you STILL can't distinguish the difference between sexual orientation and sexual behavior, and still can't explain what sexual orientation actually is. Noted.

    Now I see pointless repetition may be a critical part of your debate style too. You might want to review one of your new-found sources on logical fallacies for that one. Hint: think, “nausea.”
    Still can't take a stab at the definition, eh? I understand that it's difficult to admit that you just don't know, but give it a try. I would be then happy to educate you on the topic.

    I'm sensing some possible issues with basic reading comprehension here as well - given my post couldn’t have been clearer as to its intent and content; but then that seems to be a common thread. Suppose however we try and get organized and you take a stab at answering my questions first, ok?
    No, I've been asking you for definitions and explanations for several posts. When you answer mine... or confirm my beliefs and just say "I don't know what any of those things mean" then, if relevant, I'll answer your questions. Not before.

    The mystery is unraveling. Abrogating responsibility for the basics, confused definitions, dodging questions, ignoring answers, struggles with concepts, grammar, reading comprehension… a definite pattern is indeed emerging.
    These are all things I've already noted in your debate style. I can now add projecting to them as well.

    Actually, couple all the above with a debate style that is critically dependent on baseless assertions, deflection, projection, pointless repetition, and selective forgetfulness and it seems painfully clear that I’m not the one needing help here
    Of course you are. I can now add denial as another of your debate weaknesses. They are really racking up.

    Boy, it is tempting… but I’ll refrain because I know that’s what the strategy is. I do appreciate your attempts to “help” but my recommendation has always been that the offerer first get help themselves before they presume to set out to help others; which advice has always been good to avoid the obvious references to planks, logs, and long, red and white canes.
    See, I know the information, you do not. My offer to help is genuine. All you have to do is ask.

    Sidebar:
    Unfortunately, one sees on every forum / board like this a peculiarly annoying "debate style" adopted by some for whatever reason – perhaps because it is so annoying – perhaps because it requires so little effort – -- or perhaps simply because it requires so little effort to be so annoying. I don’t know; I don’t much care. It gets adopted apparently as part of some cute, albeit puerile “winning strategy” which tactics are to annoy their opposition into silence which they characteristically then interpret as having “won.” Project, deflect, ignore, repeat, conveniently forget, and baselessly assert often enough and most reasonable people will quit wasting their time in favor of infinitely better uses of it, leaving the annoyer (pathetically) to their pointless “triumph.” Well good for them.
    Actually, I employ this "style" when I debate someone who is dishonest and/or uses the "my beliefs equal facts" tactic, which is what you do. It is also useful with people who prefer to misrepresent issues and definitions rather than looking at the actuality of these things... another thing you employ. Now, if you actually want to have a debate with information and facts, come to the plate with some. Your beliefs are pretty meaningless when you try to masquerade them as facts... and if you think they are facts, prove them. If you don't, I'll just continue to demonstrate that you don't know the first thing of what you are speaking by throwing out examples of such, placing them in either questioning or challenging phrasing and watching you refuse to answer or respond to them.

    You've seen my challenges/questions. The ball is now in your court.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #1093
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by ItAin'tFree View Post
    LOL. Mr. Irrelevant is back pretending that he didn't make anything up again. LOL. Good to see you back at it because had I not noticed your post I wouldn't be reminding everyone of the phony claim you made last week. Well here it is folks. He made up a phony claim about a 20 man condom study and used it as fact to try to make one of his silly points. Since then he has squirmed, twisted, weaseled, and anything and everything else in his failed attempt to change the subject, which is of course the bogus study he claimed existed. The "proof" is in his post last week. Since then he has sounded like Obama and his denial of his "red line". But that's what liberals do.
    And this is what conservatives do. They present a debunked study and then when proven wrong, slink away refusing to take responsibility for what they did. THEN, upset that they got humiliated, they attempt to prove someone else wrong without a shred of evidence, and THEN, to compound their error, they can't follow the line of conversation. ItAin'tFree has done all these things, and I am happy to expose them any time that seems appropriate. Like now.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #1094
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    This is such a crock that I am certainly not going to take the time with you anymore, beyond this post, as it’s just not worthwhile. Your self-absorbed belief that these ‘ oops, forgot to flush’ opinions of yours don’t stink is hilarious…so thanks for that, but to expect anyone to spend time going all through this hot mess in the future?

    Nah.
    Of course you won't. You wouldn't want to get beaten yet AGAIN.

    Let’s start with the ‘morality is relative’ statements…if that is so, then the topic of morality would totally be subject to emotion and opinion… and so to make the accusation that it is only I that is doing so when you, by your own parameters, would have to be doing the same thing is…what do you call it? Self-pwnage—self described? Si Señor . The fact that you got your butt owned on how homosexuality somehow became ‘normal’ is well known. So, you have what are supposed to be unbiased institutions shilling themselves because they are liberal [and probably many times even subject to the same deviance that they, if we believed them, want to try to force the rest of us to considered normal]…its laughable but hardly objective. Just following the liberal non-reproductive herd, unnurgh unnurrrgh…nice.
    So, let's start with this paragraph. Wait... there is no substance here. Nothing that either responds to a thing I said, or combats an argument I made. Just silly conservative hackery that has no semblance of validity. I here I expected more from you...

    Then the self denial of the fact that you cannot just do away with the fact that 37 states have either Constitutional bans on SSM or define marriage as to be only between one man and one woman…that it is irrelevant unless you are then taking into account that there has been minimal movement on the point over 10 years…then it suddenly becomes relevant...hmmmm, if it’s not relevant, then movement in the last ten years would also be irrelevant. Simple to anyone who knows how to reason, but to those whose positions are incessantly irrational, it makes perfect sense that it is irrelevant in the one but suddenly relevant in the other.
    Self pwnge again? Si Señor.
    Now, I'm SURE this one must be better. Wait... oh, dear... self-pwnage abounds. Movement in the past 10 years... how much in the previous 10... or the 10 before that... or the 10 before THAT? Statistics seem to be your enemy. It's Ok. I'm SURE this will get better.

    But of course it is not irrelevant, because the American people have overwhelmingly through the institution and strenuous effort necessary to accomplish Constitutional amendments to ban this depraved desire thus prove that WE, the majority, REFUSE TO GO ALONG WITH A DEGENERATE MORALITY. One might spray a ton of perfume on dog dumplings…it’s still gonna be dog dumplings.
    Oh, my. Appeal to majority. Appeal to emotion. Trying to use opinions/values to prove a position. Surely you MUST have something better?

    As regards a common morality… you can look up common but seeing as you have no particular idea of what is normal and what is deviant you seem to have a morally relative dictionary and so definitions mean what you want them to mean, but common would be the most regularly occurring morality…which come from the major religious moralities in toto … argue it all you want but you non-religious or religious but actually nonbelieving folk are the minority. And we are going to keep it that way. The 51% is fictional and most people have been 'politically corrected' into going along with something they know deep down is sordid at best. We “normal folks” don’t even like to think of what …well…simply yuck….Sorry to have to break it to you.
    Oh, oh. 51% is fictional? Now you have degenerated into flat out denial because your position is so laughably refuted. I am starting to fear that rather than getting better or even staying the same, things are going to get worse.

    But the fact that you over and over and over again [ read above in at least four instances] call morality relative and therefore subject to emotion means your supposed statements of substance are only those of your opinion and so, based on your own logic, irrelevant [ self-pwnge again? Si Señor] …but this is where the 37 states come in [ yes, AGAIN, as it is relevant ] because even if you were right about opinion, this would be THE MAJORITY OPINION in a nation where the MAJORITY RULES. Got that relevant factoid, do you? The APA does not get to decide for us. That would be an appeal to authority [ which in any case would be erroneous as has previously been proven that they are not really a true authority but merely a biased interloper ]. ? Si Señor.
    Now this is interesting. Incredibly poor debating, but at least it's interesting. Obviously you don't understand arguments. The fact that morality is relative eliminates morality from the argument. See, I am not arguing morality. YOU are. I am arguing that since morality is relative, any moral argument is irrelevant. So, you got my argument completely wrong. Moving on... Majority opinion... appeal to popularity... easily dismissed... and lastly your presentation of the appeal to authority. Here's the problem. The appeal to authority fallacy only applies when the authority cited is not the authority on that area... for example saying because Einstein thinks that women are better multi-taskers than men would be an appeal to authority... since Einstein is no expert on sexuality or biology. If a human neuropsychologist said this, however, that would NOT be an appeal to authority, as he would be an authority on this area. The APA is the authority when it comes to determining whether something is a disorder or not. Therefore, the appeal to authority does not apply.

    Three examples, three failures. Pretty standard for one of your paragraphs.

    ‘Should’ and ‘needs to be’ are banished eh? So is shame apparently, because any perverted thing you folks want to push on the rest of us and we are just supposed to lay down, or more apropos, bend over and let you drive right through huh? 'Should be' becomes law when there is sufficient support, as in the case of people not wanting your degeneracy to become the common morality. Sorry, there is a common morality and one that is necessary to maintain an ordered society. We are not going to let you try to brow beat us, because that is all the strength you can muster, into becoming a totally debauched country…certainly not without a fight. And we now know you folks will not stop at tolerance, you want your depraved deviancy to equate to the normal and upright …nope…that’s out, we take off the gloves and now its bare knuckles… and we are just tougher and smarter…oh and more numerous....you have now awakened the sleeping giant.
    Yes, as I thought, it gets worse. You start with a complete misrepresentation and then just continue on to "tough guy" soapboxing, none of which has a shred of relevancy and contains your continued lack of knowledge of basic definitions.

    Majority rules is how we govern, cap’n…better get used to it as well, its not just an appeal to popularity, it’s the Constitutional framework… get used to it…ha hah ahahahahhaaaaaa…too tooooo funny.
    Now you start stating the obvious and move onto the laughter of the beaten.

    Oh, and your usual admission of failure, the ubiquitous, in your posts, "proclamation of victory"…wow, what it must be like to be up in there with all that low hanging fertilizer all around…there to be plucked at will…ha ha ha ha…yeah, I have already spent, wasted, too much time on your silliness. I mean its like squeezing a load of your lemons for too long and not getting even a little drip of the fabled juice...nothing...so it is counterproductive to continue the process....But you have at it, being of liberal mindset, that being the more feminine based ideology, you get the last word…go for it cap’n.
    And finishing with a flourish, you use lots of words to say nothing.

    So, in conclusion, you used your "last post towards me" (is this the second or third time you've said that?) to essentially make as many errors in debate as their are errors. Logical fallacies, misrepresenting arguments, making errors, and generally saying nothing of substance. I hope it was worth it.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #1095
    Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-30-13 @ 07:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,293

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    And this is what conservatives do. They present a debunked study and then when proven wrong, slink away refusing to take responsibility for what they did. THEN, upset that they got humiliated, they attempt to prove someone else wrong without a shred of evidence, and THEN, to compound their error, they can't follow the line of conversation. ItAin'tFree has done all these things, and I am happy to expose them any time that seems appropriate. Like now.
    LOL. You are the exposed one and have been for over a week now.

    The evidence is what you posted; your false, made up, phony words that lied about a 20 man condom study that doesn't exist so you could pretend to have some evidence for one of your silly claims. Glad to see you back in this thread as it never gets tiring re-exposing your falsehood. I'll gladly keep reminding all, you are a person that not only makes studies up, you are silly enough to keep trying to deflect the fact. You have failed at deflecting your lack of integrity for way over a week, hopefully you'll continue for a month or more. I'll never tire of reminding people of the type make believer you are.
    "“If we don’t deepen our ports all along the Gulf — places like Charleston, South Carolina; or Savannah, Georgia; or Jacksonville, Florida…” -Obama

  6. #1096
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    Backup link: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/30/us...tate.html?_r=0

    another victory for equal rights, slowly but surely discrimination is losing and equality is winning!!!
    More info on these clearing up some confusion.
    Same-Sex Married Couples Await State Tax Word | Fox Business

    its a great move so far and the issues is also coming to light pointing out the fact separate but equal is not separate. Civil unions, domestic partnerships re not recognized under this, why? because those are not marriages. Basic common sense.


    But like i said this is just another step to last stop which is coming fast. Equal rights for gays.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #1097
    Be different, be honest
    EdwinWillers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Divided States of Kardashia
    Last Seen
    12-25-15 @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,361

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    There's not much to refute. If one does not understand the basics there's not much to their argument that lends itself to discussion. Education, perhaps, but not discussion.
    Projection noted.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Ah. So you don't understand them. Noted.
    Confusion noted.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Ah. So you lack the ability to not debate with logical fallacies. Noted
    Ignorance of logical fallacies noted.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Yes, you certainly could have been more clear. Try again.
    Inability to grasp the basics noted.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    So you STILL can't distinguish the difference between sexual orientation and sexual behavior, and still can't explain what sexual orientation actually is. Noted.
    Deflection noted.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Still can't take a stab at the definition, eh? I understand that it's difficult to admit that you just don't know, but give it a try. I would be then happy to educate you on the topic.
    Attempted misdirection noted.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    No, I've been asking you for definitions and explanations for several posts. When you answer mine... or confirm my beliefs and just say "I don't know what any of those things mean" then, if relevant, I'll answer your questions. Not before.
    Deflection (again) noted.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    These are all things I've already noted in your debate style. I can now add projecting to them as well.
    Projection (again) noted.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Of course you are. I can now add denial as another of your debate weaknesses. They are really racking up.
    Disingenuousness noted.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    See, I know the information, you do not. My offer to help is genuine. All you have to do is ask.
    Insincerety noted.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Actually, I employ this "style" when I debate someone who is dishonest and/or uses the "my beliefs equal facts" tactic, which is what you do. It is also useful with people who prefer to misrepresent issues and definitions rather than looking at the actuality of these things... another thing you employ. Now, if you actually want to have a debate with information and facts, come to the plate with some. Your beliefs are pretty meaningless when you try to masquerade them as facts... and if you think they are facts, prove them. If you don't, I'll just continue to demonstrate that you don't know the first thing of what you are speaking by throwing out examples of such, placing them in either questioning or challenging phrasing and watching you refuse to answer or respond to them.
    The sad thing is that there are some who actually think they know what they're talking about when they take on certain topics. They think, for example their opinions about things just naturally unassailable and are genuinely taken aback when someone dare challenge them. They think themselves the sole possessor of facts so when confronted with the truth they haven't a clue how to proceed except to vacuously attack the one who dare mount a dispute against the holy of holies - their opinion. Epitomizing projection, they attack others as being dishonest, liars even, or with unfounded accusations like "my beliefs equal facts" (some really need to check their premises, btw). They accuse them of misrepresentation, of masquerading and a host of other allegations they simply cannot, and therefore refuse to prove lest they tarnish their thin veneer of single carat gold plate. Hypocritically demanding "proofs" they refuse to give them themselves. Goodness, back to you and I, you STILL refuse to answer the very first question posed to you. A very simple question you cannot answer so you cheekily attempt to put a different one back on me, arrogantly, callowly insisting that I must first answer your question before you'll stoop and deign to answer mine.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    You've seen my challenges/questions. The ball is now in your court.
    Sorry, you may enjoy the wildly exciting game of intellectual wiffleball and the special challenges it gives you; you might actually be quite experienced and adept at it - a local hero even with a fan or two in this forum or that. Personally, I find it rather... airily puerile and pointless. But hey, to each his own. You don't want to, or can't discuss this topic honestly, fine.
    Who chimes "No Absolutes!" chimes absolutely.

    zoom zoom

  8. #1098
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,719

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwinWillers View Post
    You may not have noticed what the point of this thread is so given your question, I'll take a second here and note that it's about the government of the United States making gender-based classifications and enacting laws accordingly. I might then ask you the same thing - what is the State interest there?

    Personally, I don't want [more] laws - particularly in this area. Personally I'm absolutely and unequivocally opposed to this law - for a variety of reasons, but primarily because this IS America, my friend and we don't write laws based on anyone's or any group's personal approval of something - particularly when such laws (and the assertion of the OP, btw) are intended to secure the approval of the State - and then the compliance of the citizenry (agree or not) in the process.

    Now, you may not think two grown men lustfully gorging themselves on one another remotely disgusting; you may even count it a "family value." I don't know. That's your issue, not mine. My issue is you, or them, or the State telling me, forcing me not only to accept it, but accept it as normal behavior, as well as all its attendant consequences without the right to protest and speak out against it.

    You may care less about morality; you may care even less about God; but I'll repeat it, this is America, my friend. We don't write the law based on someone's personal disapproval of something - be it someone's disapproval of morals, or be it someone's disapproval of God either.
    Nobody cares whether or not you approve or accept it. Seriously, get over yourself. This isn't a discussion about how you should think. How on earth do you perceive the state as trying to "force you" to accept it as "normal?" Some kind of mind control ray? What, I'm supposed to believe that if the state recognizes same-sex marriage, you're going to change your mind? You'll suddenly think it's ok?

    No, my friend, this is not about the state forcing you to accept something as normal. This is about you. You don't want to accept it as normal, and you want to make damned sure nobody else does either.

    Forcing you. Laughable. It is laughable that you think this has anything to do with your opinion.
    Last edited by Deuce; 09-22-13 at 09:40 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #1099
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Nobody cares whether or not you approve or accept it. Seriously, get over yourself. This isn't a discussion about how you should think. How on earth do you perceive the state as trying to "force you" to accept it as "normal?" Some kind of mind control ray?
    its a strawman that some people think is a good one and will work but it never does. In reality there is no force.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #1100
    Be different, be honest
    EdwinWillers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Divided States of Kardashia
    Last Seen
    12-25-15 @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,361

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Nobody cares whether or not you approve or accept it. Seriously, get over yourself. This isn't a discussion about how you should think. How on earth do you perceive the state as trying to "force you" to accept it as "normal?" Some kind of mind control ray? What, I'm supposed to believe that if the state recognizes same-sex marriage, you're going to change your mind? You'll suddenly think it's ok?

    No, my friend, this is not about the state forcing you to accept something as normal. This is about you. You don't want to accept it as normal, and you want to make damned sure nobody else does either.

    Forcing you. Laughable. It is laughable that you think this has anything to do with your opinion.
    "Get over myself?" Seriously, I was over myself a long time ago. But if you don't like where I'm coming from on this topic, maybe - just maybe it's you who needs to get over that -- unless of course you have something substantive to add beyond your opinion on how "laughable" you think everything is.

    Maybe, for example, you could provide some facts demonstrating the humor in what I posted. Why it's humorous, what about it makes it humorous, or perhaps the comedic elements you found in it that makes it so humorous. Of course in keeping with your own criteria, they need to be facts, not your opinions.

    For example, one might - say - point to someone's chosen subtitle of "Outer space potato man" and find the humor in such a person lecturing anyone with "how on earth..." they perceive anything.

    The comedic elements there of course being quite obvious.

    KWIM?
    Who chimes "No Absolutes!" chimes absolutely.

    zoom zoom

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •