Page 10 of 120 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 1200

Thread: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long [W:29, 210]

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-16-13 @ 05:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,817

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Oh, I didn't preclude that being an argument, too... I think many groups, using the 14th Amendment equal protection clause, will do just that...and what will be the legal defense? I mean, you let "that group" do it, which gave them special rights [ we all having equal rights as it exists now, at least in the states that do not allow SSM ], so it would be discriminatory to disallow my group...

    Once you erase the hard fast lines, you never know where it will go finally.

    There are limits only as long as those of us that are putting our fingers in the dike [ no pun intended ] keep trying to keep the dam from collapsing... until we can get some small respite from this constant damn busting, these attempts to take down the steady bulwarks of a good society. If we can catch a breath we will come back, repair the damage already done so our posterity can have things at least as good as we had it handed down to us.
    People always believe society is going down the tubes. That's because it changes and people fear, and hate, change.

  2. #92
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    I will probably not spend a whole lot of time with you as one can immediately tell who is going to actually debate and who will not. I will start with this and see how you counter. If its just the ad hom calls of bigotry...bye bye...

    We currently have the exact same rights [ that would be equality ]. I, a hetero, cannot marry another man in my state, neither could another man, be they homo or hetero; a woman cannot marry another woman, the exact same. Equality. You are advocating for special rights...sorry.
    You can marry whom you desire. They can not.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  3. #93
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    That's nice to see. It makes living in those barbaric states that oppose gay rights a little more tolerable.

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 04:50 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,195

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfLife View Post
    People always believe society is going down the tubes. That's because it changes and people fear, and hate, change.
    Change is not always progress. Not always good.

    One only has to look at the consequences and results of the last 5 years of "Hope and Change"

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    That's nice to see. It makes living in those barbaric states that oppose gay rights a little more tolerable.
    Sodomy is what is barbaric and deviant

  5. #95
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfLife View Post
    That part is equal but not the part about marrying the person you love, just the two of you, both unmarried and over 18 years of age. By chance, can you tell me of another state-issued license that requires one to be a man and one to be a woman?
    I cannot just marry the person I love either...lots of restrictions for all of us...that is life.

    If we change things you may not have to be unmarried, I mean polygamist will want in on all the good fortune that the SSM folks want... I mean, that would be equality and all those struggles are struggles for civil rights, and they are all the same, right? And we only arbitrarily make the age 18, why not lower it to 10, right? And what even if that adheres, say your mother divorces your father and you are 18? You could love and marry either, right? Or, if you allow polygamy and polyandry, you could marry them both. Or your sister, or your son or daughter...or your brother...where will it end, because you know all these groups that will, indeed want that, will scream bloody murder and you will have to accept it under equal protection if marrying the one, or the many, you love is the only prerequisite.

    What does state licenses in other areas have to do with this? Why would that have to be for this one to be valid? The sun is the only sun we have...for it to be valid must there be another in our solar system? No.
    "...But resist we much, we must and we will much, about that be committed..." --- the right Reverend Alfred Charles "Al" Shaprton, Jr.

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 04:50 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,195

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    You can marry whom you desire. They can not.
    So what?

    Marriage as an institution has specific social and economic purposes. It was never created so cater to all sexual behavior/tastes/desires

    Using your measuring stick anything goes. Anyone can marry whatever they "desire"

  7. #97
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    You can marry whom you desire. They can not.
    NO.....I CANNOT. Neither can you, neither can anybody, not without the others consent first of all. And at this time you cannot be of the same sex, you cannot be related, you have to be of age...blah blah blah... you have not thought this out very thoroughly, that can easily be seen.
    "...But resist we much, we must and we will much, about that be committed..." --- the right Reverend Alfred Charles "Al" Shaprton, Jr.

  8. #98
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfLife View Post
    People always believe society is going down the tubes. That's because it changes and people fear, and hate, change.
    Yeah, and sometimes it is going down the tubes...Look at the various empires of the past...Rome for instance, think it didnt go down the tubes... are you a Nero watching and fiddling as Rome burns?
    "...But resist we much, we must and we will much, about that be committed..." --- the right Reverend Alfred Charles "Al" Shaprton, Jr.

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-16-13 @ 05:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,817

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    I cannot just marry the person I love either...lots of restrictions for all of us...that is life.

    If we change things you may not have to be unmarried, I mean polygamist will want in on all the good fortune that the SSM folks want... I mean, that would be equality and all those struggles are struggles for civil rights, and they are all the same, right? And we only arbitrarily make the age 18, why not lower it to 10, right? And what even if that adheres, say your mother divorces your father and you are 18? You could love and marry either, right? Or, if you allow polygamy and polyandry, you could marry them both. Or your sister, or your son or daughter...or your brother...where will it end, because you know all these groups that will, indeed want that, will scream bloody murder and you will have to accept it under equal protection if marrying the one, or the many, you love is the only prerequisite.

    What does state licenses in other areas have to do with this? Why would that have to be for this one to be valid? The sun is the only sun we have...for it to be valid must there be another in our solar system? No.
    It's really a very simple issue guys. Can any two adults get a license from that state that when signed properly and by an authority binds them to each other for life? The answer is not everywhere yet in the US, but not for much longer. Once they can, they are equal in practice not just theory.

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-16-13 @ 05:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,817

    Re: On gay marriage, America's house may not stay divided for long

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Yeah, and sometimes it is going down the tubes...Look at the various empires of the past...Rome for instance, think it didnt go down the tubes... are you a Nero watching and fiddling as Rome burns?
    Rome lasted about 700 years. Check back with me in 480 and we'll see how things are going.

Page 10 of 120 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •