Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 267

Thread: San Antonio Adopts Disputed Gay Rights Measure[W:208]

  1. #11
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: San Antonio Adopts Disputed Gay Rights Measure

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #12
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: San Antonio Adopts Disputed Gay Rights Measure

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    shhhh dont ruin "his" fun he thinks nobody shes through his post
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #13
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: San Antonio Adopts Disputed Gay Rights Measure

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) dont have the full story but they arent begin forced to go to the wedding like by armed guard, supposedly they got a fine which is more than just for blatant discrimination and that's lucky for them.
    I'm not religious. I understand spirituality and the idea of a greater universal spirit or something, but to me, dogmatic religion is indistinguishable from magic and voodoo. So that there are so many people who really, truly do believe there's some kind of dark magic or curses from angry invisible monsters in the sky is absolutely insane. That being said, though, people really do believe that stuff, and they have every right to practice it, however insane I may find it to be. So if the photographers would have offered something like an in-studio shoot before or after or something, but refused to actually attend the service out of fear of the dark magic that may happen, I have to sympathize. Like if a photographer had a bad phobia of dogs, and refused to shoot at a sight that had a dog running around, I wouldn't think he should be forced to. It's like that, but with a horrific, hateful monster in space instead of just a yappy little pooch.

    That being said, though, you can't refuse service to someone because you don't like whatever class you feel they belong to. Gay couples shouldn't have to keep going to shop after shop being told they're not good enough to do business. The days of separate but equal business are over and should never be invited back.

    So I can definitely see two different sides to the story. That's why, with that case, I'm not sure which way I would go were I to cast a jury vote or something. Would be up in the air. The cake makers were just assholes, though. A cake is just a cake, and it's not their business where it goes after it's carried out of their shop.
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

  4. #14
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: San Antonio Adopts Disputed Gay Rights Measure

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Gay Marriage is sham pretend marriage

    It shouldn't be legal anywhere. Sodomites whined however, so they get to play dress up and pretend they are normal.
    It's always funny when theocrats pretend to be libertarians. I like that. It's none of the government's business. Not a bit. They're free to marry and find happiness, and you're free to sit and stew in bitterness and anger.
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

  5. #15
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,802

    Re: San Antonio Adopts Disputed Gay Rights Measure

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Gay Marriage is sham pretend marriage

    It shouldn't be legal anywhere. Sodomites whined however, so they get to play dress up and pretend they are normal.
    You don't even know what the word Sodom means and represents which points to how uneducated you are on this issue.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 04:50 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,195

    Re: San Antonio Adopts Disputed Gay Rights Measure

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    You don't even know what the word Sodom means and represents which points to how uneducated you are on this issue.
    What issue would that be?

    What exactly are you trying to dispute?

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: San Antonio Adopts Disputed Gay Rights Measure

    It's just another victory for fascism. I don't think the public sector should be able to discriminate on any factor (orientation included). However, I virulently detest governments determining what the private sector can do.

    It's like all those people who cry "First Amendment!" to only defend freedoms they agree with. Voltaire would be disappointed.

    We've become a nation of pussies, afraid that someone's feelings will get hurt. That trumps your right to commerce, preference, or morality. When someone sheds a tear, we lose a little more liberty.

  8. #18
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: San Antonio Adopts Disputed Gay Rights Measure

    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    I'm not religious. I understand spirituality and the idea of a greater universal spirit or something, but to me, dogmatic religion is indistinguishable from magic and voodoo. So that there are so many people who really, truly do believe there's some kind of dark magic or curses from angry invisible monsters in the sky is absolutely insane. That being said, though, people really do believe that stuff, and they have every right to practice it, however insane I may find it to be. So if the photographers would have offered something like an in-studio shoot before or after or something, but refused to actually attend the service out of fear of the dark magic that may happen, I have to sympathize. Like if a photographer had a bad phobia of dogs, and refused to shoot at a sight that had a dog running around, I wouldn't think he should be forced to. It's like that, but with a horrific, hateful monster in space instead of just a yappy little pooch.

    That being said, though, you can't refuse service to someone because you don't like whatever class you feel they belong to. Gay couples shouldn't have to keep going to shop after shop being told they're not good enough to do business. The days of separate but equal business are over and should never be invited back.

    So I can definitely see two different sides to the story. That's why, with that case, I'm not sure which way I would go were I to cast a jury vote or something. Would be up in the air. The cake makers were just assholes, though. A cake is just a cake, and it's not their business where it goes after it's carried out of their shop.
    there is no force though and ONE is breaking the law. Thats all it take for me. Refusing to shot a dog is not breaking the law, legal discrimination is breaking the law.

    Can i sorta see what there issues is? a little but i blame them for being stupid, dont go into a public business if you are so easily offended its just basic common sense or dont do anything related to those things. No weddings, no religious items. They admitted they didn't want to because they were gay. thats their fault and now they are guilty of committing a crime and must pay a fine. Many Christians think this type of discrimination is repulsive so these people shouldnt be grouped with others.

    as for the bakers IF the stories are true about what they posted on line they are despicable people and i hope their on line business fails too
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 04:50 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,195

    Re: San Antonio Adopts Disputed Gay Rights Measure

    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    It's always funny when theocrats pretend to be libertarians. I like that. It's none of the government's business. Not a bit. They're free to marry and find happiness, and you're free to sit and stew in bitterness and anger.
    Theocrat?

    I'm just talking basic biology here. Gay Marriage serves no social or economic purpose. You can toss out every (you're a religious nut) strawmen out there all you want. If homosexuality was biological than evolution over time would have found a way to adapt. If homosexuality is a mental issue however, (as it was known before they changed the DSM criteria because of political reasons) then society shouldn't be made to conform to such obviously irrational behavior (sodomy/homosexual sex being normalized/put on a pedestal).

    Besides, an atheist government is still a Theocracy, in the sense that The State determines it's own morality. What could possibly go wrong?

  10. #20
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: San Antonio Adopts Disputed Gay Rights Measure

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    I'm just talking basic biology here. Gay Marriage serves no social or economic purpose.
    It serves the exact same social and economic purpose that heterosexual marriage does -- namely, settles property rights and power of attorney questions. How does that not apply to homosexuals?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    If homosexuality was biological than evolution over time would have found a way to adapt.
    That's too simplistic a view. Genetics isn't that straight. The most widely accepted research right now shows a very strong correlation between women with certain genetic traits that have both more children and more gay sons. The obvious evolutionary cost of a gay son is offset by the evolutionary benefit of having more children -- enough to offset the difference.

    Even if it weren't, it still wouldn't be the state's business. If you want to call it a birth defect (only for the sake of argument), are you also going to say that people with other birth defects should also be prevented from marrying? Should the be sterilized to prevent evolutionary damage or something? Should we do full-scale eugenics? I'd say no, that's not the govenrment's function.

    People born with an extra toe, for example. The extra toe serves no function. Should it be cut off? How far are you going to take biological imperative in setting government policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    If homosexuality is a mental issue however, (as it was known before they changed the DSM criteria because of political reasons)
    Almost the entire psychological profession says you're wrong. But you know more about psychology than the entire psychological profession, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    society shouldn't be made to conform to such obviously irrational behavior (sodomy/homosexual sex being normalized/put on a pedestal).
    You are still just as free to despise them after they're married as you were before they were married. The government can't mandate that you must accept gay sex as normal. But the government has to apply the law equally to all parties in all classes. If you want to end gay marriage, then you have to end straight marriage, as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Besides, an atheist government is still a Theocracy, in the sense that The State determines it's own morality. What could possibly go wrong?
    No one I know is asking for an atheist government, just a secular one. One that has no say in any religious matter (except, of course, where it's also a civil matter -- for example you can't sacrifice virgins at the altar).
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •