Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 267

Thread: San Antonio Adopts Disputed Gay Rights Measure[W:208]

  1. #101
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: San Antonio Adopts Disputed Gay Rights Measure

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    No, you are talking about the libertarian fantasy which has no basis in reality. Your "fundamentals" are just more fantasy

    What you think is right is just your opinion, and like ass holes, everyone has an opinion.
    And yet you can counter nothing I've said other than through the use of this deflection. Your the one initiating force against rights. It doesn't matter if you think that my libertarian philosophy is achievable, you are still the one holding the gun to another's head.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #102
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: San Antonio Adopts Disputed Gay Rights Measure

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    The public has ultimate say in what businesses operate through the use of intelligent consumerism. That's not government force, that's just informed buying.
    I know the argument of the invisible hand. I'm talking specifically about corporate charters being granted on specific pre-conditions. If your argument is about an individuals right to control his own property that would only apply to sole proprietorships. Corporations are collectively owned by all share holders, based on a charter granted by the state they operate in. Charters could be denied to any group that doesn't agree to do public business without discrimination. That wouldn't violate the property rights of any individuals. If they didn't like it, they could avoid incorporation. They would miss the benefits that the government bestows on corporate entities, and therefore be free of constraints.

    This is a hypothetical, of course.
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

  3. #103
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: San Antonio Adopts Disputed Gay Rights Measure

    Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfLife View Post
    You seem to be having an issue with a very well-established feature of Modern America. I can own a gas station as long as I follow the law. One of those laws is I don't get to put up a sign that says "No Jews". That's all, and it's a reasonable limitation on my Property Rights. I can't just bury my old tires and used oil either. There are rules, like it or not.
    I understand that these laws exist, I am not debating their existence, obviously. I am discussing instead the proper use of government force against the rights and liberties of the individual. When you wish to discuss on an intellectually honest level, come back, till then I have no time nor patience for these ridiculous asides which are based in such obvious fallacy.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #104
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: San Antonio Adopts Disputed Gay Rights Measure

    Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfLife View Post
    You seem to be having an issue with a very well-established feature of Modern America. I can own a gas station as long as I follow the law. One of those laws is I don't get to put up a sign that says "No Jews". That's all, and it's a reasonable limitation on my Property Rights. I can't just bury my old tires and used oil either. There are rules, like it or not.
    What's really funny about Ikari's position is that he argues how it's wrong (according to his own personal moral beliefs) for the govt to use force to enforce a personal moral belief.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #105
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: San Antonio Adopts Disputed Gay Rights Measure

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    And yet you can counter nothing I've said other than through the use of this deflection. Your the one initiating force against rights. It doesn't matter if you think that my libertarian philosophy is achievable, you are still the one holding the gun to another's head.
    I have completely countered your position and identified the foolishness of believing that it is wrong for the govt to base law on personal moral beliefs because ones' own personal moral beliefs say that is wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #106
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: San Antonio Adopts Disputed Gay Rights Measure

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Rape is not a morality law, it's a property and life defense.
    What about the other part of my post... Is the prevention of child porn a morality law? What if that porn is a cartoon? Should the government be able to seize (and access) a computer regarding such things?

  7. #107
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: San Antonio Adopts Disputed Gay Rights Measure

    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    I know the argument of the invisible hand. I'm talking specifically about corporate charters being granted on specific pre-conditions. If your argument is about an individuals right to control his own property that would only apply to sole proprietorships. Corporations are collectively owned by all share holders, based on a charter granted by the state they operate in. Charters could be denied to any group that doesn't agree to do public business without discrimination. That wouldn't violate the property rights of any individuals. If they didn't like it, they could avoid incorporation. They would miss the benefits that the government bestows on corporate entities, and therefore be free of constraints.

    This is a hypothetical, of course.
    The practice of contract is oft double edged. But I fear I am no expert in the field you are discussing here, and it can lead to misunderstandings and confusions. In essence if the government owned the property that a corporation was seeking to buy, they could put in certain restrictions and rights to access by the community. Publicly traded and corporations could very well be treated differently than private business given their innate public properties. As I stated earlier, there could be argument that publicaly traded companies follow the same restrictions as government is forced to endure. I'm not sure that answered your question though.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #108
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: San Antonio Adopts Disputed Gay Rights Measure

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    What about the other part of my post... Is the prevention of child porn a morality law? What if that porn is a cartoon? Should the government be able to seize (and access) a computer regarding such things?
    Child porn is contract defense as a child cannot give consent.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #109
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-16-13 @ 05:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,817

    Re: San Antonio Adopts Disputed Gay Rights Measure

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I understand that these laws exist, I am not debating their existence, obviously. I am discussing instead the proper use of government force against the rights and liberties of the individual. When you wish to discuss on an intellectually honest level, come back, till then I have no time nor patience for these ridiculous asides which are based in such obvious fallacy.
    I am being honest, and there is no fallacy. The laws are sound. It's a trade-off. We allow you to make money here, and you follow our rules. The country protects you and your rights hopefully, but because we are a country and have to get along with each other you do not have complete liberty to do just as you please. It's all about balance. Freedom is walking through the jungle all alone. Being a country means we built a fort to protect ourselves. When you live in the fort you can leave but you are on your own and if you have to do guard duty from time to time and don't have full freedom inside the fort, that is the cost of being protected. You live in a fort and it has rules.

  10. #110
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: San Antonio Adopts Disputed Gay Rights Measure

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I have completely countered your position and identified the foolishness of believing that it is wrong for the govt to base law on personal moral beliefs because ones' own personal moral beliefs say that is wrong.
    You've countered nothing and relied solely on appeal to authority, a logical fallacy. You wish to force your personal morals on others through the use of a gun, that much is clear.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •