Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 75

Thread: Making a push to get people to join "Obamacare"

  1. #61
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,971
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The Big Push

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    Conspiracy theories are never a good way to explain political events.
    How is a push towards reducing the number of hours in the average work week a conspiracy theory?

    Fact is, we are trending AWAY from full employment. Either we scale UP social services, which breeds sloth and dependency, or we attempt to scale BACK the average number of hours each American works. Instead of one person putting 80 hours per week, make it two. Instead of two people doing 40 each, make it three, for around 25 hours each. You've just employed one extra person. It's that, or pay people NOT to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    Re: The Big Push

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Using Occam's Razor,
    The new Gillette's have 4 blades. I'm tellin' ya - you haven't lived until you shave with a 4 blade razor.

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    Re: The Big Push

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    The more people believe they need government assistance the more people vote Democrat.
    The more people believe stories of global floods, sky-daddies, universes that are 6K years old, and all that other biblical inerrancy swill; the more they vote Republican. I would at least hope most Atheists vote Libertarian (or at worst Democrat). GOP wants me to adhere to some bullcrap stories written by goat herders that thought the earth was flat. I don't dig crap that one iota. It's Sharia Law of a different color painted with cheap spray paint.

  4. #64
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,971
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The Big Push

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    No different than the below being levied on the entirety of modern business leaders:



    It's not just conservatives...I'm not a conservative and I think a lot of the nonsense in threads like this are obviously absurd. Do you think anyone can make a claim like Kevin above and be taken seriously? Or half the people who claim XYZ about running a business and employee benefits, meanwhile never having had to make those actual choices themselves in a meaningful way? Don't confuse intolerance of fools with simple ad hom...
    Would you like a link to another thread in which this same statement is made, and then I spent, oh, six seconds googling around 25 references of EXACTLY what is described in the paragraph you quoted?

    If executives of the largest corporations on earth are doing such a fine and stand up job, why do we need "too big to fail"?

    As I recall, the only response to the links to failed business practices were links to SIX (LOL) CEO success stories, two of which were rappers, and one was Oprah, and one was clearly a SMALL, family owned business. Totally debunked my argument, eh?
    Fact is, YOU simply don't want to accept that your idols, these so called paragons of capitalism, are driving our entire country into the dirt to line their pockets.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  5. #65
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,971
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The Big Push

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    A meaningful answer would add more value than your amusing quip. I assure you that the government has plenty of control already but I don't see why 29 hour weeks would make them more "powerful".
    Because in order to make a 29 hour work week livable without doing multiple 29 work weeks at multiple employers, government would have to assume more control over the market. Either in the form or forced higher minimum hourly compensation, or by granting more benefits to low wager earners. Uncle Sam doesn't want people to take more than one job, as doing so takes work away from someone else. Someone else could be doing that other 29 hour job. Which makes employment numbers look good, as they don't reflect UNDERemployed. And from there, you consider the trend, which is that more and more, these are the types of jobs most Americans are getting, government now has a way to bargain with a large, and getting larger, demographic of voters.


    That's just a thought off the top of my head, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  6. #66
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: The Big Push

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Because in order to make a 29 hour work week livable without doing multiple 29 work weeks at multiple employers, government would have to assume more control over the market. Either in the form or forced higher minimum hourly compensation, or by granting more benefits to low wager earners. Uncle Sam doesn't want people to take more than one job, as doing so takes work away from someone else. Someone else could be doing that other 29 hour job. Which makes employment numbers look good, as they don't reflect UNDERemployed. And from there, you consider the trend, which is that more and more, these are the types of jobs most Americans are getting, government now has a way to bargain with a large, and getting larger, demographic of voters.

    That's just a thought off the top of my head, though.
    Well, nothing is impossible and maybe logic doesn't apply. Just seems like a complex method of improving your unemployment figures when you can just manipulate them in other ways. This bill is from 4 years ago and you'd think that they would have wanted quicker results back in the day when Obama's second term was still ahead of him. By the time this impact is reflected in job numbers, we'll be well past even the 2014 elections so it seems futile.

  7. #67
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,676

    Re: The Big Push

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    The more people believe stories of global floods, sky-daddies, universes that are 6K years old, and all that other biblical inerrancy swill; the more they vote Republican. I would at least hope most Atheists vote Libertarian (or at worst Democrat). GOP wants me to adhere to some bullcrap stories written by goat herders that thought the earth was flat. I don't dig crap that one iota. It's Sharia Law of a different color painted with cheap spray paint.

    I was unaware that Jimmy Voltaire posted on DB! Hey Jimmy!

  8. #68
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,971
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The Big Push

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Well, nothing is impossible and maybe logic doesn't apply. Just seems like a complex method of improving your unemployment figures when you can just manipulate them in other ways. This bill is from 4 years ago and you'd think that they would have wanted quicker results back in the day when Obama's second term was still ahead of him. By the time this impact is reflected in job numbers, we'll be well past even the 2014 elections so it seems futile.
    I don't want to bake your noodle, but term limits only apply to the president.



    Either way, I don't subscribe to the conspiracy theory aspect of it. I simply see a push to emulate European countries. Who have shorter work weeks, and universal healthcare.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  9. #69
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: The Big Push

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    I don't want to bake your noodle, but term limits only apply to the president.

    Either way, I don't subscribe to the conspiracy theory aspect of it. I simply see a push to emulate European countries. Who have shorter work weeks, and universal healthcare.
    Obamacare didn't appear magically. It wasn't written in a day. So, nothing short of a conspiracy would be required to see a push to emulate European countries and we both seem to fee;ll there is not a conspiracy.

    So, maybe it was a mistake? Maybe it was hastily written, too many payoffs circling around and nobody remembered to tell the other guy that if you define 29 hours as part time, you're going to gum up the works. The minimum wage will need to be $10 an hour, a pretty big jump. Now, if that comes up, maybe we are both wrong and this is not just a conspiracy, but an out and out attack on the fabric of reality.

    Oh, yes, term limits. I haven't seen any presidents that do much to help their party out. They mostly worry about themselves and their feckin legacies. I'm actually aware that there are no other term limits and even the few that are, don't hold much weight (ask Bloomberg).

  10. #70
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,971
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The Big Push

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Obamacare didn't appear magically. It wasn't written in a day. So, nothing short of a conspiracy would be required to see a push to emulate European countries and we both seem to fee;ll there is not a conspiracy.

    So, maybe it was a mistake? Maybe it was hastily written, too many payoffs circling around and nobody remembered to tell the other guy that if you define 29 hours as part time, you're going to gum up the works. The minimum wage will need to be $10 an hour, a pretty big jump. Now, if that comes up, maybe we are both wrong and this is not just a conspiracy, but an out and out attack on the fabric of reality.

    Oh, yes, term limits. I haven't seen any presidents that do much to help their party out. They mostly worry about themselves and their feckin legacies. I'm actually aware that there are no other term limits and even the few that are, don't hold much weight (ask Bloomberg).
    A conspiracy is just a secret agenda.

    Is it not public liberal policy to idolize and emulate European models of government and economics?
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •