Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 172

Thread: Obama: I didn't draw the red line on Syria, world did [W:162]

  1. #121
    Sage
    Born Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sonny and Nice
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,396

    Re: Now he's lying about the Red Line...

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Of course, where was anyone when Saddam gassed the Kurds? Really, no one cared. And when Saddam used gas on Iran, we were cheering him on.
    And who in the world cares now?
    Liberals - Punish the Successful, Reward the Unsuccessful
    Liberals - Tax, Borrow, Spend, and Give Free Stuff
    Obama's legacy - President Donald Trump

  2. #122
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,217

    Re: Now he's lying about the Red Line...

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Yes I saw that.

    Jeesh.. this is a President with no character, no integrity and no principle.
    Anyone watching politics when he ran for the senate knew that.

  3. #123
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,066

    Re: Now he's lying about the Red Line...

    Quote Originally Posted by Born Free View Post
    And who in the world cares now?
    Apparently no one. Though Saddam's use of chemical weapons in 1988 was touted and sold as a reason to go into Iraq in 2003. The Cons suddenly found outrage 15 years later in the circumstance. Then again, it usually takes the Cons about 15 years to catch up to reality, so I guess that makes sense.

  4. #124
    Sage
    Born Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sonny and Nice
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,396

    Re: Now he's lying about the Red Line...

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    This is "your" President, very well written

    The Most Embarrassing President of My Lifetime - ALIPAC
    Head don't care, Obama is the Anointed One.
    Liberals - Punish the Successful, Reward the Unsuccessful
    Liberals - Tax, Borrow, Spend, and Give Free Stuff
    Obama's legacy - President Donald Trump

  5. #125
    Sage
    Born Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sonny and Nice
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,396

    Re: Now he's lying about the Red Line...

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Apparently no one. Though Saddam's use of chemical weapons in 1988 was touted and sold as a reason to go into Iraq in 2003. The Cons suddenly found outrage 15 years later in the circumstance. Then again, it usually takes the Cons about 15 years to catch up to reality, so I guess that makes sense.
    Where were the Dems all that time? They never did find any outrage, nor did Obama or at least we're all still waiting for their outrage. Funny how you criticize the the Cons yet the Dems never found any outrage. And to make it worse Obama is a fake. He sets a Red Line then says I didn't say that, he had no outrage then nor now. Just like a weak socialist run with his tail between his legs.
    Liberals - Punish the Successful, Reward the Unsuccessful
    Liberals - Tax, Borrow, Spend, and Give Free Stuff
    Obama's legacy - President Donald Trump

  6. #126
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Now he's lying about the Red Line...

    Quote Originally Posted by sociotard View Post
    That isn't a lie so much as a rhetorical device. It is true that Obama wasn't exactly the first US President to proclaim that chemical weapons are unacceptable. It is true that leaders from around the world have proclaimed the same since WWI. That's all I got from his speech.

    For the record, I am opposed to Syrian intervention. I wish that Obama had never mentioned a line of any color. That said, I am glad he's requesting permission from Congress to intervene, which looks to me like an attempt to find an excuse to not intervene, or at least put it off. Given the choice between the US not following through on the red-line statement (thus looking weak) and the US launching a strike (thus accomplishing little and killing a bunch of people), I would choose the former.

    While Obama has made many mistakes, I am even more confident that he was the right choice in 2008. Obama is nowhere near the slavering warmonger that McCain is, who even now is urging US involvement in Syria. (I am less certain Obama was better than Romney, who just didn't talk as much about foreign policy. For my vote, that was more of a toss up)
    How is he less the "slavering warmonger" than McCain?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  7. #127
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: Now he's lying about the Red Line...

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Apparently no one. Though Saddam's use of chemical weapons in 1988 was touted and sold as a reason to go into Iraq in 2003. The Cons suddenly found outrage 15 years later in the circumstance. Then again, it usually takes the Cons about 15 years to catch up to reality, so I guess that makes sense.
    You keep wanting to bring up the past as in someway justification for what Obama is doing. If you were so against what Bush did why are you supporting what Obama is doing?
    Last edited by Conservative; 09-06-13 at 01:14 PM.

  8. #128
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,066

    Re: Now he's lying about the Red Line...

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You keep wanting to bring up the past as in someway justification for what Obama is doing. If you were so against what Bush did why are you supporting what Obama is doing?
    You are jumping to conclusions.... I am not supporting what Obama is doing. In fact, I think the US has been remarkably inconsistent on this issue.... from aiding in the use of gas to looking the other way to feigning outrage 15 years after the fact to wanting to go to war over it now. But, that is the way our government (and our people) often are; remarkably inconsistent.

    Even on DP, you can see multiple posts outraged over the actions of the current president, but they will defend the same actions of a President from their party. Chemical weapons is one example. The cry to enter Iraq included Saddam's use of chemical weapons (even though it happened 15 years prior)... and many in that party are now telling us that its not our problem.

    I'm against Bush because he pretty much screwed up the US economy with waging meaningless wars and occupations, granting tax cuts that were designed to eliminate the surplus, but then calling them a form of stimulus and expanding medicare without funding it. Sp we are clear, in my Bush had a few redeeming qualities, but was generally a very bad president. Obama has many redeeming qualities, but is screwing this particular issue up big time.

    That is probably hard for you to understand, Con... as you are one of these people that carries a party line and can find no redeeming qualities on the other side of the ideal. I am far more nuanced than that... there is much about my party that I disagree (and sometimes I see people on the other side that have it right.)
    Last edited by upsideguy; 09-06-13 at 02:25 PM.

  9. #129
    Be different, be honest
    EdwinWillers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Divided States of Kardashia
    Last Seen
    12-25-15 @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,361

    Re: Now he's lying about the Red Line...

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    You are jumping to conclusions.... I am not supporting what Obama is doing. In fact, I think the US has been remarkably inconsistent on this issue.... from aiding in the use of gas to looking the other way to feigning outrage 15 years after the fact to wanting to go to war over it now. But, that is the way our government (and our people) often are; remarkably inconsistent.

    Even on DP, you can see multiple posts outraged over the actions of the current president, but they will defend the same actions of a President from their party. Chemical weapons is one example. The cry to enter Iraq included Saddam's use of chemical weapons (even though it happened 15 years prior)... and many in that party are now telling us that its not our problem.

    I'm against Bush because he pretty much screwed up the US economy with waging meaningless wars and occupations, granting tax cuts that were designed to eliminate the surplus, but then calling them a form of stimulus and expanding medicare without funding it. Sp we are clear, in my Bush had a few redeeming qualities, but was generally a very bad president. Obama has many redeeming qualities, but is screwing this particular issue up big time.
    Bush screwed a lot of stuff up, but my goodness, if you can't see how Obama's massive screw-ups have exponentially trumped Bush's then you're just not paying attention at all.
    Who chimes "No Absolutes!" chimes absolutely.

    zoom zoom

  10. #130
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,651

    re: Obama: I didn't draw the red line on Syria, world did [W:162]

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwinWillers View Post
    Talk about slithering snakes...

    Unbelievable.
    For those willing to be educated....

    Twice, Obama referred to the use of chemical weapons as a red line “for us” — meaning the United States. And he was specifically answering a question asking about the possibility of military action.
    They say you can't tell a wise man from a fool until he opens his mouth.

    That should lead us to do a little fact checking before we speak. As a courtesy, to save you further embarrassment, I offer the following link for you to study.

    Obama’s Blurry Red Line

    Read it. Get the facts. Go over the context and get back to us later after you have studied to show thyself approved.

    Have a nice weekend.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •