Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: With eye on Iran, Israelis seek US action in Syria [W:36]

  1. #21
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    re: With eye on Iran, Israelis seek US action in Syria [W:36]

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    You are way off base. USA wants Israel to ask for permission before doing anything in the Middle East, so the Oval Office bribes Israel with weapons and other military technologies. If tomorrow morning USA stopped giving a penny to Israel I would be very happy. Then folks like myself could send after-tax dollars to Israel to offset the loss, no non-Jews would have to spend their tax dollars on Israel, and Israel would no longer be beholden to the Oval Office. The only down side for USA is that their oil interests in the Middle East might be on shakier ground; but that's a non-issue soon enough because in 10 to 20 years USA will be a net exporter of oil. So I really would prefer we gave Israel nothing via USA tax dollars.
    Israel wants us to act on their behalf in a way that will benefit them to the fullest without lifting a finger. They have a history of doing that, and for some reason, we continue to oblige them. I wouldn't mind giving them aid if they pulled their weight and assisted us with our middle eastern operations. So far, they're just a bad investment.

    Case in point - remember back during Desert Storm when we were bombing Saddam back to the stone age and he randomly started shooting missiles into Israel even though Israel had nothing whatsoever to do with that UN action? USA begged Israel to stay out of it. Had Israel not been beholden to the requests of our POTUS because we bribe her with $3 billion in yearly arms, she could have dropped a few dozen nuclear weapons on Iraq and called it a day. Then 10 years later our USA troops would not have had to go onto the ground searching for the WMD's that Saddam had long since sent to Syria.
    We didn't beg them not to do anything. Cheney told them to piss off because their interference would put allied forces at risk. They wouldn't risk losing their annual billions in handouts from the US by doing something as stupid as using nuclear weapons on an area occupied by US forces, anyway.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  2. #22
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Brookfield,Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    11-04-13 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    628

    re: With eye on Iran, Israelis seek US action in Syria [W:36]

    I have read different Israeli views on the matter. As someone noted,Syria is historically been enemy No.1,long before Iran. Still,their are many,especially those in the north who probably oppose bombing Syria,as they know it means danger for them.

  3. #23
    Advisor Iron Yank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    12-21-16 @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    317

    re: With eye on Iran, Israelis seek US action in Syria [W:36]

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    Israel wants us to act on their behalf in a way that will benefit them to the fullest without lifting a finger. They have a history of doing that, and for some reason, we continue to oblige them. I wouldn't mind giving them aid if they pulled their weight and assisted us with our middle eastern operations. So far, they're just a bad investment.
    I think you have this wrong, wasnt it the US that told Israel to stand down in both Iraq wars as to prevent to incite the crazy muslims against the Jews? And if you judge countries in this context we have also given billions of military aid to Egypt, Turkey Jordan & Saudi Arabia, when are they ever going to "pull there weight" as you have described the same way you would expect it from Israel? Bad investment maybe, but for whatever reason you mention the Jews and no one else.

    We didn't beg them not to do anything. Cheney told them to piss off because their interference would put allied forces at risk. They wouldn't risk losing their annual billions in handouts from the US by doing something as stupid as using nuclear weapons on an area occupied by US forces, anyway.
    This is just an assinine statement. Cheney never told them to piss off as you have implied and how in the world did using nukes ever get into this discussion ? I've never heard Israel threaten anyone with these weapons although I'm sure they would use them if there very existance was threatened. (Like anyone would) Irans leaders on the other hand have stated on many occasions that they would wipe Israel off the map, yet you feel the need to critisize Israel & not Iran. odd....... uniformed or Anti semetic perhaps?

  4. #24
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    re: With eye on Iran, Israelis seek US action in Syria [W:36]

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Yank View Post
    I think you have this wrong, wasnt it the US that told Israel to stand down in both Iraq wars as to prevent to incite the crazy muslims against the Jews? And if you judge countries in this context we have also given billions of military aid to Egypt, Turkey Jordan & Saudi Arabia, when are they ever going to "pull there weight" as you have described the same way you would expect it from Israel? Bad investment maybe, but for whatever reason you mention the Jews and no one else.
    You must have missed the part where Israel is the topic of the thread.

    This is just an assinine statement. Cheney never told them to piss off as you have implied and how in the world did using nukes ever get into this discussion ? I've never heard Israel threaten anyone with these weapons although I'm sure they would use them if there very existance was threatened. (Like anyone would) Irans leaders on the other hand have stated on many occasions that they would wipe Israel off the map, yet you feel the need to critisize Israel & not Iran. odd....... uniformed or Anti semetic perhaps?
    If you aren't even going to bother reading the conversation, butt out.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    re: With eye on Iran, Israelis seek US action in Syria [W:36]

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    Israel wants us to act on their behalf in a way that will benefit them to the fullest without lifting a finger. They have a history of doing that, and for some reason, we continue to oblige them. I wouldn't mind giving them aid if they pulled their weight and assisted us with our middle eastern operations. So far, they're just a bad investment.
    I'm pretty sure LBJ didn't put troops in Israel in 67, Nixon didn't put troops in Israel in 73, and Reagan didn't put troops in Israel in 82. We Jews have a history of fighting like great warriors.


    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    We didn't beg them not to do anything. Cheney told them to piss off because their interference would put allied forces at risk. They wouldn't risk losing their annual billions in handouts from the US by doing something as stupid as using nuclear weapons on an area occupied by US forces, anyway.
    They won't lose a penny. Most of us Jews make a substantial living in USA, and there are I believe somewhere around 6.7 million of us here. If each of us Jews sent $448 to Israel, it would be a total wash. And as I have said before, I would prefer it were that way. I don't think Christians should have to fund Israel with tax dollars because that is not fair. Jews should fund Israel with their own earnings. The great losers if USA stops giving out freebies are actually Egypt, Jordan, Iraq, Libya, etc.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    re: With eye on Iran, Israelis seek US action in Syria [W:36]

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    No - I mean in general that they wanted us to take care of business with missiles right now. I think the way it would go down is USA does some limited strikes on Assad, then Assad and Iran go after Israel, then USA/Canada/EU bomb Syria back to the stone age. In the second phase, Israel would "have to take one for the team" so we had an excuse for an all out blitz like Desert Storm. I figured there was no way they wanted towns in Gaza Strip to get gassed; which is what I think happens in part 2 of my scenario.
    Imagine the numbers of innocent civilians that would die if Syria were bombed into the Stone Age, and your metaphors present this more as a football game! What a shame.

  7. #27
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    re: With eye on Iran, Israelis seek US action in Syria [W:36]

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    I'm pretty sure LBJ didn't put troops in Israel in 67, Nixon didn't put troops in Israel in 73, and Reagan didn't put troops in Israel in 82. We Jews have a history of fighting like great warriors.
    It's not about ethnicity, or whether or not Israelis can fight. They clearly can, so if they want Syria knocked out in a specific way that benefits them, they can do it themselves.


    They won't lose a penny. Most of us Jews make a substantial living in USA, and there are I believe somewhere around 6.7 million of us here. If each of us Jews sent $448 to Israel, it would be a total wash. And as I have said before, I would prefer it were that way. I don't think Christians should have to fund Israel with tax dollars because that is not fair. Jews should fund Israel with their own earnings. The great losers if USA stops giving out freebies are actually Egypt, Jordan, Iraq, Libya, etc.
    The white guilt thing doesn't work on me. You being Jewish has absolutely nothing to do with this, so quit race baiting.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  8. #28
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,351

    re: With eye on Iran, Israelis seek US action in Syria [W:36]

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    It's not about ethnicity, or whether or not Israelis can fight. They clearly can, so if they want Syria knocked out in a specific way that benefits them, they can do it themselves.



    The white guilt thing doesn't work on me. You being Jewish has absolutely nothing to do with this, so quit race baiting.
    Not sure what your point is ( other than try and bait people with your Israeli remarks). Syria has been Israel's quietest border for 40 years. I am sure Israel would be better off with Assad than Al Queda on it's border. Also If there is a bombing, the greatest likelihood is that citizens of Israel will be more in danger of a reprisal than American forces.

    To infer that because some people in Israel have a concern about nations using chemical wapons should not be that unusual. I am sure there are many Americans who feel the same way.

    My preference is for America to do nothing. If all they will do is bomb some empty building and leave Israel, Jordan and Turkey to have to deal with the blowback seems like a pretty bad idea.

    BTW- You may have noticed that Israel has struck Syria a number of times in the past year when Syria crossed Israeli red lines.

  9. #29
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    re: With eye on Iran, Israelis seek US action in Syria [W:36]

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    Not sure what your point is ( other than try and bait people with your Israeli remarks).
    Then try this hot new thing all the kids are doing called reading the damned thread.

    BTW- You may have noticed that Israel has struck Syria a number of times in the past year when Syria crossed Israeli red lines.
    Then they should have no problem taking care of business on their own. (If you had been paying attention, you would have seen that this was my point throughout my participation in the this thread.)
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  10. #30
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,351

    re: With eye on Iran, Israelis seek US action in Syria [W:36]

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    Then try this hot new thing all the kids are doing called reading the damned thread.


    Then they should have no problem taking care of business on their own. (If you had been paying attention, you would have seen that this was my point throughout my participation in the this thread.)

    What you seem to have missed in my response is that Israel has taken care of it's problem. If you and Obama want to bomb Syria be my guest but it will only wind up killing innocent people in Israel not help them.

    Why you want to blame Israel for a misadventure by this president is a puzzle. Only you can know what is behind such misguided thoughts.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •