Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 186

Thread: John Kerry: ‘We Are Not Going to Lose’ Vote Authorizing Syria Military Action'

  1. #21
    Be different, be honest
    EdwinWillers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Divided States of Kardashia
    Last Seen
    12-25-15 @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,361

    Re: John Kerry: ‘We Are Not Going to Lose’ Vote Authorizing Syria Military Action'

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    Making threats/promises isn't too presidential unless there is a solid enough reason behind them to follow though on them.
    Sadly, if there's one thing this president excels at is not being presidential.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    As has been pointed out, we (the USA) aren't the world police so we shouldn't be policing the world or attacking other countries unless it's clearly in the national security interests of the US.
    And we've yet to hear the evidence why, precisely this is in our national interest at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    I'm not sure how we can condemn the Iraq war on one hand yet condone our Libya, Syria and Egypt actions on the other.
    I suppose it's possible if the "friendly" in each were one and the same.
    Who chimes "No Absolutes!" chimes absolutely.

    zoom zoom

  2. #22
    Be different, be honest
    EdwinWillers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Divided States of Kardashia
    Last Seen
    12-25-15 @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,361

    Re: John Kerry: ‘We Are Not Going to Lose’ Vote Authorizing Syria Military Action'

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    Thank you for your strength & courage during these dangerous times, Mr. Secretary.

    John Kerry: ‘We Are Not Going to Lose’ Vote Authorizing Syria Military Action - ABC News
    Ever the goober:

    Kerry.jpg
    Who chimes "No Absolutes!" chimes absolutely.

    zoom zoom

  3. #23
    Educator
    Brooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    09-07-15 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,131

    Re: John Kerry: ‘We Are Not Going to Lose’ Vote Authorizing Syria Military Action'

    The president absolutely hopes this is voted down because, despite shirking the responsibility, he's still linked to the decision.
    Just as when he anncounced his red-line, he hoped it would never be crossed or, if crossed, never proven. He has never made a pro-active decision in regards to foreign policy.

    Imagine if a year ago his macho red-line announcement was "Chemical weapons are the red line for me. If Syria uses them I will not hesitate. I will ask congress what I should do."
    The painful fact is that Barack Obama is the president that Nixon always wanted to be. - Jon Turley
    If you have to exaggerate my point to make me wrong you've already given up.
    DON'T KILL BEES.

  4. #24
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: John Kerry: ‘We Are Not Going to Lose’ Vote Authorizing Syria Military Action'

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    The president absolutely hopes this is voted down because, despite shirking the responsibility, he's still linked to the decision.
    Just as when he anncounced his red-line, he hoped it would never be crossed or, if crossed, never proven. He has never made a pro-active decision in regards to foreign policy
    A black and white statement that falls flat on its face. The series of strikes aimed at Al Qaeda in both Yemen and Pakistan in particular come to mind, as does the assassination of Al Awlaki.

  5. #25
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: John Kerry: ‘We Are Not Going to Lose’ Vote Authorizing Syria Military Action'

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    Thank you for your strength & courage during these dangerous times, Mr. Secretary.

    John Kerry: ‘We Are Not Going to Lose’ Vote Authorizing Syria Military Action - ABC News
    Dear Mr Dooble:

    I want you to know, that I all but gave up, until I read your post. It gave me the courage to carry on in the face of opposition by the anti-war neocons. Thanks, you're the bestest.

    Regards,

    Secretary of State John Kerry
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #26
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    09-30-13 @ 04:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    698

    Re: John Kerry: ‘We Are Not Going to Lose’ Vote Authorizing Syria Military Action'

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    At first I wanted this vote to be a no because going into Syria would be stupid. Now I want it to be a no vote so that Kerry can have egg on his stupid face.
    While I agree with you in hoping that Congress will reject an attack on Syria (because it would be a mistake), I disagree with your wish to turn this into a partisan fight. The issues are too important.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: John Kerry: ‘We Are Not Going to Lose’ Vote Authorizing Syria Military Action'

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    140 bipartisan signatures and counting from congress? Why demand Obama get congressional approval if they aren't going to approve it?

    Anyway, Obama doesnt' need their authority to do a limited strike. There is too much precedent going back to Truman for presidents to conduct limited miltary action.

    But if congress does vote no, then Obama will have an out not to strike Syria and save face. The decision might also depend on what the French and UK Parliments vote as well. I think the UK will be making a second vote now that the UN report is out.
    60 years of extra-constitutional precedent doesn't make it right. And the 1973 War Powers Act is designed to allow a president to act immediately if the US is under attack or threatened with imminent attack. And then he has 60 days to bring it before congress. Using it to attack a country that is not threatening us is an abuse, and for a president to attack a country when such strong opposition exists amongst the American people, and without congressional approval and in defiance of the UN is belligerent, at least.

  8. #28
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:55 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,940

    Re: John Kerry: ‘We Are Not Going to Lose’ Vote Authorizing Syria Military Action'

    I would urge we not piss of Putin simply because he is nuts.
    It's nothing more than X's and O's.

  9. #29
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:55 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,940

    Re: John Kerry: ‘We Are Not Going to Lose’ Vote Authorizing Syria Military Action'

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwinWillers View Post
    Ever the goober:

    Kerry.jpg
    Gomer Pyle
    It's nothing more than X's and O's.

  10. #30
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: John Kerry: ‘We Are Not Going to Lose’ Vote Authorizing Syria Military Action'

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    A black and white statement that falls flat on its face. The series of strikes aimed at Al Qaeda in both Yemen and Pakistan in particular come to mind, as does the assassination of Al Awlaki.

    Why Targeted Assassinations Violate US and International Law
    by DENNIS BERNSTEIN
    Marjorie Cohn is a Professor at the Thomas Jefferson School of Law and former President of the National Lawyers Guild. She is also the editor of “The United States and Torture: Interrogation, Incarceration, and Abuse.”

    DB: You say the recent memo coming out of the Justice Department on the administration’s plans to keep up its targeted assassinations and expand the program runs afoul of international and US law. Please explain.

    Read the answer here:

    http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/02/...rnational-law/

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •