Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 213

Thread: Congress not rushing back for Syria vote

  1. #91
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    re: Congress not rushing back for Syria vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    If the UN is going to be in charge of deciding what the US national interest is, I don't want to be a member. They need us more than we need them. Nato, on the other hand is a bit of a different story. We share a great deal of common interests with those members. But still, NATO doesn't determine our US national interest either.
    We've had a president tell us that a particular country was a threat to our national security, you know, a mushroom cloud over a US city.

  2. #92
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    re: Congress not rushing back for Syria vote

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Sorry, but that's just demonstrably false - the US uses its veto power in the UN Security Council on a regular basis, particularly as it relates to sanctions against Israel. And secondly, if the UN is always on the side of tyrants, despots, human rights abusers, murderers etc., then damn right I'm belligerent and damn right I don't want to be a member and it embarrasses me as a person and as a Canadian that my country still belongs.
    My apologies, it was to be a rhetorical QUESTION, I left out the question mark.

  3. #93
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,269

    re: Congress not rushing back for Syria vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Why do you suppose the US has been to the UN asking permission for the use of military force in Syria?
    Because we want other members to join us. But do we really need any other nations help to launch Cruise Missals? No. Not sure why you want to give Russia and China a say in what OUR interest are. Do you want criminals to help write our laws too?

  4. #94
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,351

    re: Congress not rushing back for Syria vote

    Obama has turned his red line into a farce for the whole world to see. If he was serious then he would have called back the congress as they did in Britain and gotten the vote quickly. Then he could go home or pursue action.

    Now we are left with the option of going home with our tail between out legs or blow up a bunch of empty buildings and recently vacated weapons sites.

    People here who long to go back to the 19th century when two oceans protected us so we thought isolationism was the best policy will find out what it means to have no world leadership. What it truly means to mankind when no one cares unless it happens to "us".

  5. #95
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,269

    re: Congress not rushing back for Syria vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    We've had a president tell us that a particular country was a threat to our national security, you know, a mushroom cloud over a US city.
    I am not saying that US presidents opinions on the matter are infallible. I am just saying that the decision falls to our political leadership. If they are in error, they might be out of job. The point is, WE control and determine our interests, not other nations.

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    re: Congress not rushing back for Syria vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Well that's quite the belligerent attitude. Syria is not a threat to our national security.
    Quite right. And we can see that the 'reformer' Assad is not all bad.

    “There’s a different leader in Syria now. Many of the members of Congress of both parties who have gone to Syria in recent months have said they believe he’s a reformer.”

    --Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, on “Face the Nation,” March 27, 2011

  7. #97
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    re: Congress not rushing back for Syria vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Because we want other members to join us. But do we really need any other nations help to launch Cruise Missals? No. Not sure why you want to give Russia and China a say in what OUR interest are. Do you want criminals to help write our laws too?
    Well we've had criminals writing our laws for sometime already.

  8. #98
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,269

    re: Congress not rushing back for Syria vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Well we've had criminals writing our laws for sometime already.
    Well, I guess you got a point there.

  9. #99
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    re: Congress not rushing back for Syria vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    I am not saying that US presidents opinions on the matter are infallible. I am just saying that the decision falls to our political leadership. If they are in error, they might be out of job. The point is, WE control and determine our interests, not other nations.

    You must have missed Jeff Sessions grilling Leon Panetta about this when Sessions was trying to get Panetta to agree that the White House needs to secure authorization for war from congress, not the UN. only Panetta wouldn't concede. He said they would secure authorization from the UN and then inform congress of their intentions.

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    re: Congress not rushing back for Syria vote

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Sorry, but that's just demonstrably false - the US uses its veto power in the UN Security Council on a regular basis, particularly as it relates to sanctions against Israel. And secondly, if the UN is always on the side of tyrants, despots, human rights abusers, murderers etc., then damn right I'm belligerent and damn right I don't want to be a member and it embarrasses me as a person and as a Canadian that my country still belongs.
    Sometimes they get it right. Canada stands tall at UN - Ezra Levant

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •