Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 240

Thread: Obama: "US should take military action against Syria", seeks Congressional Apporval

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    Re: Obama: "US should take military action against Syria", seeks Congressional Apporv

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    Barack Obama and the Congress is about to prove that they've been in favor of al-Qaeda all along. Remove the legitimate ruling government and install a puppet government with Al-Qaeda in charge. I guess Obama really does want to destroy this country by bringing on WW3. The saddest thing is that he was still the better choice between the two major parties.
    I'm kind of blown away about us backing Al Qaeda too. I would have preferred the opposite - meaning that we backed Assad in this civil war and tried to get him to get away from his relationship with Iran and become friendlier to Israel and Turkey. Truth be known I would have preferred that we did what Russia did - sell small arms for fun and profit and just stay out of spending US dollars on the drama going on over there. If all we do is sell arms to both sides; there is a lot of money to be made in civil wars in the Middle East.

  2. #102
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Obama: "US should take military action against Syria", seeks Congressional Apporv

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    I don't understand why the President should be embarrassed because Congress votes against what he'd like to see them say. Why would that be embarrassing?

    If anything, I think this is very much a move to AVOID embarrassment. If Obama strikes without Congressional approval, it will be viewed quite unfavorably. If Obama doesn't strike, then his "red line" comment, which has been blown way out of proportion in my opinion, then becomes the embarrassing moment.
    It would be embarrassing, because he's, "The Messiah". He believes it more than his minions. It's the reason we are where we are: because he thought that just by making a threat to zap Syria, they would be too afraid to use NBC weapons.

    I think this move takes the burden off Obama and puts it onto Congress.
    What burden? He's the CIC. The responsibility is his, no matter what.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #103
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,863
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama: "US should take military action against Syria", seeks Congressional Apporv

    Quote Originally Posted by Jredbaron96 View Post
    Obama: US should take military action against Syria - CNN.com

    Obama is now seeking Congressional approval for strikes against Syria.

    Thoughts? Comments? Another date, my love?
    My only comment is that I'm surprised he's actually seeking congressional approval. Other than that....not surprised at anything else.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  4. #104
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Obama: "US should take military action against Syria", seeks Congressional Apporv

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I would tend to suspect his vote counters tell him he will get approval or he would not have gone this route. To my mind it is almost a nobrainer. It is the right thing to do to make sure that the message goes out that if you use chemical weapons, the cost will outweigh the benefits. That can be done with simple limited military strikes.
    That's not going to scare anyone into not using gas, if they want to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #105
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Obama: "US should take military action against Syria", seeks Congressional Apporv

    Quote Originally Posted by Jredbaron96 View Post
    Obama: US should take military action against Syria - CNN.com



    Obama is now seeking Congressional approval for strikes against Syria.

    Thoughts? Comments? Another date, my love?
    This post proves what I've known all along: Americans lack street smarts, i. e. the kind of social intelligence that tells you how to quickly tell between a pol that's just BS'ing to look good and one that actually means what he says (which, FYI, is rarer than diamonds).

    HINT: does Obama need Congress' permission to attack?

  6. #106
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:57 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama: "US should take military action against Syria", seeks Congressional Apporv

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    That's not going to scare anyone into not using gas, if they want to.
    Good thing I did not say scare, isn't it?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #107
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Obama: "US should take military action against Syria", seeks Congressional Apporv

    Barack Obama is doing the right thing. (And I don't say that often).
    I am opposed to the strike. I also see how intelligent, well-meaning people can be in favor.
    In any case, it is, eh, refreshing, to see a Democratic president actually admitting (implicitly) that (1) a war is a war, and (2) the US Constitution does matter (sometimes).

  8. #108
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Obama: "US should take military action against Syria", seeks Congressional Apporv

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrylek View Post
    Barack Obama is doing the right thing. (And I don't say that often).
    I am opposed to the strike. I also see how intelligent, well-meaning people can be in favor.
    In any case, it is, eh, refreshing, to see a Democratic president actually admitting (implicitly) that (1) a war is a war, and (2) the US Constitution does matter (sometimes).
    Pols like obama only do what their owners tell them to do. In a plutocracy, POTUSes are not generally permitted to authorize military strikes without permission from their sponsors.

    As for o's faux saber-rattling, he just wants to protect his image. Americans (notably conservatives) are mostly brainwashed, jingoistic warmongers and believe anyone who doesn't bomb is a wimp.

  9. #109
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Obama: "US should take military action against Syria", seeks Congressional Apporv

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    This post proves what I've known all along: Americans lack street smarts, i. e. the kind of social intelligence that tells you how to quickly tell between a pol that's just BS'ing to look good and one that actually means what he says (which, FYI, is rarer than diamonds).

    HINT: does Obama need Congress' permission to attack?
    Obama said that the president DOES NOT have the authority to unilaterally launch an attack. Biden says it's an impeachable offense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #110
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Obama: "US should take military action against Syria", seeks Congressional Apporv

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    I don't understand why the President should be embarrassed because Congress votes against what he'd like to see them say. Why would that be embarrassing?

    If anything, I think this is very much a move to AVOID embarrassment. If Obama strikes without Congressional approval, it will be viewed quite unfavorably. If Obama doesn't strike, then his "red line" comment, which has been blown way out of proportion in my opinion, then becomes the embarrassing moment.

    I think this move takes the burden off Obama and puts it onto Congress.
    Congress will do whatever Boeing, Lockheed, and other offense contractors tell it to do--authorize the strike.

    The aforementioned firms already have a 20% ownership stake in Congress.

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •