Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 143

Thread: Jimmy Carter calls for Syria peace summit[W:33]

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    Re: Jimmy Carter calls for Syria peace summit

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    It's another bad case of the Mohammed Cartoon Syndrome.
    When posting on a forum, a poster should be mindful of posting rules. The drawing depicts Obama, a Black man, as a monkey that is flinging feces onto walls. This violates to ToS. If you do not agree with the ToS for this site, go to StormFront, where race baiting is acceptable.

    Debate Politics Forums - Forum Rules

    18. Hate Messages - Hate Messages delivered via threads, posts, signatures, or PM's are forbidden at Debate Politics. The Moderator Team defines a hate message as a comment using one of the following towards a “protected group” or an individual based on their identity in a “protected group” in an extreme manner:

    Protected groups under this rule:
    a) Race
    b) Ethnicity
    c) Religion (also atheists)
    d) Sexual orientation
    e) National origin
    f) Gender (including transgendered)
    g) Disability

  2. #32
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,285

    Re: Jimmy Carter calls for Syria peace summit

    Good move by Carter, and of course in character.

    NOw that Congress is going to get involved, maybe they will listen to him.

  3. #33
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,918

    Re: Jimmy Carter calls for Syria peace summit

    Moderator's Warning:
    Jimmy Carter calls for Syria peace summit[W:33]Please stick to the topic. Report violations and refrain from commenting.


    Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    When posting on a forum, a poster should be mindful of posting rules. The drawing depicts Obama, a Black man, as a monkey that is flinging feces onto walls. This violates to ToS. If you do not agree with the ToS for this site, go to StormFront, where race baiting is acceptable.

    Debate Politics Forums - Forum Rules

    18. Hate Messages - Hate Messages delivered via threads, posts, signatures, or PM's are forbidden at Debate Politics. The Moderator Team defines a hate message as a comment using one of the following towards a “protected group” or an individual based on their identity in a “protected group” in an extreme manner:

    Protected groups under this rule:
    a) Race
    b) Ethnicity
    c) Religion (also atheists)
    d) Sexual orientation
    e) National origin
    f) Gender (including transgendered)
    g) Disability
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Jimmy Carter calls for Syria peace summit

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwinWillers View Post
    "Ceremony" because the ninny-poo has already broadcast what he's going to do, so by the time he musters whatever it is he musters to do other than play golf, whatever targets his missiles hit will have been long abandoned. Of course, true to form he'll take credit for "showing them who's boss" while the rest of the world scratches their head in wonder how one man that ignorant and incompetent could ever have been voted into the most powerful office in the worl.

    This is not the time to be attacking anything, least of all Syria, and especially with this yahoo in the White House.
    There is a limit to how much you can shield and protect as a conventional military force by shunting equipment around and pushing it into urban areas. Aircraft, helicopters, vehicle parks, air strips, fixed military facilities, naval emplacements, munitions depots, etc. If we decide to strike (and I hope we do) there will still be ample targets to hit for it to be punishing. Moreover there is the massive psychological impact. If you are a Syrian soldier fighting for Assad you probably are fighting in part because you hope victory is attainable. The prospect of Western intervention even in limited form opens up the possibility that further strikes can occur and the distinct chance that the West will 'not allow' you to win. That can be crippling for a regime military that has been afraid to use large formations for fear of mass defections.

  5. #35
    Be different, be honest
    EdwinWillers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Divided States of Kardashia
    Last Seen
    12-25-15 @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,361

    Re: Jimmy Carter calls for Syria peace summit

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    There is a limit to how much you can shield and protect as a conventional military force by shunting equipment around and pushing it into urban areas. Aircraft, helicopters, vehicle parks, air strips, fixed military facilities, naval emplacements, munitions depots, etc. If we decide to strike (and I hope we do) there will still be ample targets to hit for it to be punishing. Moreover there is the massive psychological impact. If you are a Syrian soldier fighting for Assad you probably are fighting in part because you hope victory is attainable. The prospect of Western intervention even in limited form opens up the possibility that further strikes can occur and the distinct chance that the West will 'not allow' you to win. That can be crippling for a regime military that has been afraid to use large formations for fear of mass defections.
    To what end do you believe we should attack Syria, and why?
    Who chimes "No Absolutes!" chimes absolutely.

    zoom zoom

  6. #36
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Jimmy Carter calls for Syria peace summit

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwinWillers View Post
    To what end do you believe we should attack Syria, and why?
    At this stage?

    1. The protection of US credibility after having come so close to the brink. It is imperative that regional opponents and global ones not believe that the US is retreating in the face of Iraq fatigue. How we handle this crisis is being watched from the Kremlin to Beijing.

    2. The importance of demonstrating that the use of chemical weapons which for all the comparisons between conventional weapons are still uniquely dangerous (It took a light bombardment of a Damascus suburb to kill 1,400 people in an hour, the equivalent of 1/100th of the casualties for the whole war thus far)

    I'd also like a wider involvement in Syria but that is beyond what is being discussed at this stage since only a limited action is being reviewed.

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Jimmy Carter calls for Syria peace summit

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    At this stage? 1. The protection of US credibility after having come so close to the brink. It is imperative that regional opponents and global ones not believe that the US is retreating in the face of Iraq fatigue. How we handle this crisis is being watched from the Kremlin to Beijing.
    While that may be true history tells us that a few bombs will be dropped, the American citizenry will protest, and there will be a retreat of some sort, with no credibility gained at all. There just isn't the will in the American people, or its politicians, for any more wars, no matter how good the cause may appear.

  8. #38
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Jimmy Carter calls for Syria peace summit

    [QUOTE=Grant;1062262176]
    While that may be true history tells us that a few bombs will be dropped, the American citizenry will protest, and there will be a retreat of some sort, with no credibility gained at all. There just isn't the will in the American people, or its politicians, for any more wars, no matter how good the cause may appear.
    What matters are that a few bombs are dropped so that others know we still have the willpower to do so. Perception is more important than practical gain in this instance.

  9. #39
    Be different, be honest
    EdwinWillers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Divided States of Kardashia
    Last Seen
    12-25-15 @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,361

    Re: Jimmy Carter calls for Syria peace summit

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    At this stage?
    At any stage. What are U.S. interests in Syria?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    1. The protection of US credibility after having come so close to the brink. It is imperative that regional opponents and global ones not believe that the US is retreating in the face of Iraq fatigue. How we handle this crisis is being watched from the Kremlin to Beijing.
    I think the only person's "credibility" that's up for question right now is Barack Obama's - and it's only his face we'll be saving (ostensibly) were we to attack Syria.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    2. The importance of demonstrating that the use of chemical weapons which for all the comparisons between conventional weapons are still uniquely dangerous (It took a light bombardment of a Damascus suburb to kill 1,400 people in an hour, the equivalent of 1/100th of the casualties for the whole war thus far)
    I don't think there is any question the use of chemical weapons is horrific and wholly objectionable. I don't know of any civilized western nation that condones its use, under any circumstances.

    What precisely would we be "demonstrating" were we bomb Syria - particularly when we have no support of other western nations for doing so?
    Demonstrating our displeasure? We've already done that, and we didn't need bombs to do it.
    And why should we have to demonstrate anything anyway? Do you really think Syria doesn't know how we feel about chemical weapons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    I'd also like a wider involvement in Syria but that is beyond what is being discussed at this stage since only a limited action is being reviewed.
    Why? To achieve what end? And on what basis?

    W/r to the chemical weapons, how do we - how do you know who used them? We still do NOT know that. Do you think it is prudent to bomb Syria not knowing who pulled that particular trigger and why?
    Who chimes "No Absolutes!" chimes absolutely.

    zoom zoom

  10. #40
    Be different, be honest
    EdwinWillers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Divided States of Kardashia
    Last Seen
    12-25-15 @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,361

    Re: Jimmy Carter calls for Syria peace summit

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    What matters are that a few bombs are dropped so that others know we still have the willpower to do so. Perception is more important than practical gain in this instance.
    So, short of anything practical to gain, we lob a couple bombs their direction so they will perceive we have the willpower do so?
    Who chimes "No Absolutes!" chimes absolutely.

    zoom zoom

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •