Page 52 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 520 of 579

Thread: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

  1. #511
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    More non-sequiturs, you have rights that our laws, the constitution, will protect.

    You want to get into a debate about absolute rights...but not all that you can think of are constitutionally protected. You just refuse to limit you comments to the CONTEXT.
    the Constitution gives you no rights..........read the bill of rights itself, and it tells you its a limitation on government.

    a limitation that the government cannot make any laws, concerning the rights of the people as a whole.

    right are an absolute, when it comes to the right itself as a whole for the people...becuase its unalienable.

    i will debate you any time

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You are still playing a semantic game, it is not a matter of where you say a thing, it is a matter if it is protected by our laws.
    i can say what i like on my property, but i cannot say what i like on others property.

    i can say what i like on public property, if you are not a captive audience. and have the ability to walk away.

    speech is not measured by government wherever i am.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Your ideas on protected speech are as scrambled as your views on history and your grammar.

    This has gone beyond usefulness. Min wages are constitutional.
    sorry but you wrong in your assessment of things, and dont know constitional law .

  2. #512
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by keith View Post
    So what do you think the supply/ demand curve for labor looks like? A flat line?
    It is nearly so for white youth unemployment since 1972, inspite of changes in wages. The biggest changes happened as a result of recessions.....as I already showed......which you don't seem to want to look at....but then I understand why that would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #513
    Student keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    10-13-13 @ 05:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    231

    Re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    still waiting on your refutation
    he cited the supreme court opinion
    show us why it should not be found valid
    The decision was correctly made in 1923

    Adkins v. Children's Hospital (1923)
    In Adkins v. Children's Hospital (1923), the Supreme Court ruled that a minimum wage law for women violated the Due Process Clause of the Fifth Amendment because it abridged a citizen's right to freely contract labor. In 1918, the District of Columbia passed a law setting a minimum wage for women and children laborers. It set up a board to investigate current wages, solicit input on ideal wage levels, and ultimately set minimum wages. The law was designed to protect women and children "from conditions detrimental to their health and morals, resulting from wages which are inadequate to maintain decent standards of living." The board eventually set minimum wages for various industries, e.g., a minimum $16.50 per week "in a place where food is served" and $15 per week "in a laundry." The Children's Hospital of the District of Columbia, which employed many women at wages below those established by the board, sued the board on the grounds that its regulations violated liberty of contract as defined in Lochner v. New York (1905). The case reached the Supreme Court on appeal in 1923.

    In a 5-3 decision written by Justice George Sutherland, the Court struck down the minimum wage law as unconstitutional, arguing that it violated the Due Process Clause of the Constitution's Fifth Amendment. The Court cited Lochner v. New York (1905) in maintaining that the clause gives citizens equal rights "to obtain from each other the best terms they can as the result of private bargaining." According to Justice Sutherland, the D. C. minimum wage law, by contrast, was "an arbitrary interference with the liberty of contract which no government can legally justify in a free land." The law was especially "arbitrary," argued the Court, because it imposed uniform minimum wages on all women regardless of their individual needs or occupations.

    The Court also took issue with the provisions of the law which gave special protection to women over men. The Court claimed that, as of 1923, the civil inferiority of women in American society was at a "vanishing point," citing the recent passage of the Nineteenth Amendment, which extended the right to vote to women, as an example of their newfound equality in American culture. Special workplace protections for women were thus unnecessary because women could protect their own interests through the political process and equal bargaining power.
    Nothing easier than arguing against a USSC opinion all ya gotta do is copy and paste the dissenting opinion (s) or the decision that was overturned.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.

    Herbert Spencer

  4. #514
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Again, non sequitur, what law had blacks violated that denied their citizenship?

    Can you please limit your comments to content of the quote?
    slaves did not never have citizenship ......they were property and no considered people........why is this hard for you to understand.

    property do not have rights,......geesh

  5. #515
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    the Constitution gives you no rights.
    Non sequitur, I said you have some rights protected by the constitution.





    i can say what i like on my property, but i cannot say what i like on others property.

    i can say what i like on public property, if you are not a captive audience. and have the ability to walk away.

    speech is not measured by government wherever i am.
    You can say whatever you like where ever you want, it doesn't mean your speech is protected.



    sorry but you wrong in your assessment of things, and dont know constitional law .
    Well this is funny coming from someone who would not acknowledge Dred or the '37 finding on min wages......while claiming slavery was not supported by the constitution or that min wage is not.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  6. #516
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by keith View Post
    The decision was correctly made in 1923

    Adkins v. Children's Hospital (1923)


    Nothing easier than arguing against a USSC opinion all ya gotta do is copy and paste the dissenting opinion (s) or the decision that was overturned.
    West Coast Hotel v. Parrish, sensibly as it reads today, was a radical and controversial departure in 1937. The decision directly overturned the landmark decision Adkins v. Children's Hospital (1923), which ruled that laws fixing terms of employment contracts violated the Due Process Clause because the clause protects a substantive right to freely contract labor ("substantive" due process). Although the Court's sudden rejection of "substantive" due process has sometimes been attributed to political pressures, because the decision was issued right after President Franklin Roosevelt proposed a "court-packing scheme" that would have added "anti-Lochner" justices to the Court to protect New Deal legislation, the Court actually voted on the case prior to Roosevelt's announcement of his proposal. The exact chronology of events aside, historians debate whether and to what degree the day's political climate affected Justice Josephus Roberts' unexpected switch -- sometimes referred to as "the switch in time that saved nine" -- to the pro-New Deal wing of the Court. West Coast Hotel's position on economic regulations remains settled law today.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  7. #517
    Student keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    10-13-13 @ 05:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    231

    Re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    It is nearly so for white youth unemployment since 1972, inspite of changes in wages. The biggest changes happened as a result of recessions.....as I already showed......which you don't seem to want to look at....but then I understand why that would be.
    So you believe the supply/ demand curve for labor is flat? Yes or no?
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.

    Herbert Spencer

  8. #518
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Non sequitur, I said you have some rights protected by the constitution.
    what are some?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You can say whatever you like where ever you want, it doesn't mean your speech is protected.
    can the government abolished all free speech?



    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Well this is funny coming from someone who would not acknowledge Dred or the '37 finding on min wages......while claiming slavery was not supported by the constitution or that min wage is not.
    where is slavery in the constitution ...no where, the constitution abolishes the importation of slaves by 1808...it does not promote slavery at all.

    where are wages in the constitution?

  9. #519
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    slaves did not never have citizenship ......they were property and no considered people........why is this hard for you to understand.

    property do not have rights,......geesh
    Of course.....they were not men....apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  10. #520
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    what are some?
    Um, less than all.



    can the government abolished all free speech?
    Non-sequitur.





    where is slavery in the constitution ...no where, the constitution abolishes the importation of slaves by 1808...it does not promote slavery at all.
    And you still cannot acknowledge the previous findings of Dred.

    Wash rinse repeat.

    where are wages in the constitution?
    And we are back to you ignoring West Coast Hotel v. Parrish.

    Wash rinse repeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

Page 52 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •