Page 39 of 58 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 579

Thread: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

  1. #381
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    Congress, SCOTUS, and POTUS all disagree with you. But if you know more than Congress and the Supreme Court; perhaps you can tell us why you know more than they do.
    that maybe, but would you care to show me, where the power is in the constitution that gives government the power to set wages.

  2. #382
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,787
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    Wrong. Listen again. He said the young people were black and he wanted to give a lower wage to blacks so they would have a better shot at jobs.
    What you describe was not at all what RWR meant, and everyone knew it at the time. A "sub-minimum" wage to promote employment of young people and the inner city unemployed is an idea advanced many times over the years by both left and right. Your framing of the issue is dishonest.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  3. #383
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    Congress, SCOTUS, and POTUS all disagree with you. But if you know more than Congress and the Supreme Court; perhaps you can tell us why you know more than they do.
    In what way do you see the minimum wage helping those trying to initially enter the workforce as it seems to have frozen most out of their first jobs...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  4. #384
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,787
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    Another childish personal attack? You going to say something about my mother next? Or how your daddy can beat up my daddy? If nothing else, you are predictable.
    CaseWeb: 720.0 Urban League and the Youth Subminimum Wage

    CaseWeb: 720.0 Urban League and the Youth Subminimum Wage

    Abstract:
    In the spring of 1984, despite the economy's spectacular recovery from a severe recession, teenage unemployment remained a major problem: 19.4 percent of all teenagers and 44.8 percent of black youth, were jobless. At the urging of the Reagan administration, Congress once again began to consider a proposal to lower the minimum wage for teenagers, citing economists' arguments that the minimum wage hurt those whose skills were the most marginal. Previous proposals for a "youth subminimum wage" had failed in the face of opposition from labor and civil rights groups, but in 1984, the African-American community had begun to splinter over the subminimum wage, and as the issue gained visibility, the National Urban League felt pressed to take a stand.The case traces the history of the political and academic debate over the minimum wage and the proposed subminimum wage. It provides a vehicle for examining two alternative models of labor markets-one competitive, the other monopsonistic-and for analyzing their relative ability to explain empirical data concerning the effects of the minimum wage. The case also serves to highlight the role of labor unions.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  5. #385
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,726

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    Wrong. Listen again. He said the young people were black and he wanted to give a lower wage to blacks so they would have a better shot at jobs.
    I watched the clip, that's not what he said at all. I'm not taking sides here, just saying that you didn't hear it correctly.

  6. #386
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    In what way do you see the minimum wage helping those trying to initially enter the workforce as it seems to have frozen most out of their first jobs...
    I am not debating the efficacy of individual laws Congress creates. I am saying that Congress, the Supreme Court, and the sitting POTUS at the time ALL agreed that setting minimum wages were Constitutional. Another poster said there were NOT constitutional. Whether or not a law has it's desired effect is not what makes a law constitutional or not. That should be a fairly simple concept, no?

  7. #387
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    I am not debating the efficacy of individual laws Congress creates. I am saying that Congress, the Supreme Court, and the sitting POTUS at the time ALL agreed that setting minimum wages were Constitutional. Another poster said there were NOT constitutional. Whether or not a law has it's desired effect is not what makes a law constitutional or not. That should be a fairly simple concept, no?
    IOW, you prefer not to comment on the efficacy... Got it...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  8. #388
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    I watched the clip, that's not what he said at all. I'm not taking sides here, just saying that you didn't hear it correctly.
    I absolutely heard it correctly. Young blacks could not find jobs. Whatever jobs were going to young kids was going to WHITE young kids. His idea was to make a lower mimimum wage to solve the problem of 50% of the black kids in America not being able to find jobs. And the joke back in 79 when he said that (I was 18 at the time) was that Reagan was bringing back slavery. Now if you were around back then and remembered the speech and the subsequent jokes a different way; then please by all means share what your thoughts were from that time. Me, I was at Hill Air Force Base working for POTUS Bozo the Clown.

  9. #389
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    IOW, you prefer not to comment on the efficacy... Got it...
    What malfunction in your brain is causing you not to understand that the law WAS constitutional? If you want to show somehow that it was not constitutional and that Congress, the Supreme Court, and the POTUS were wrong - then add some value to this conversation. Either respond to the quote "the minimum wage is unconstitutional, government has no authority to dictate to a person or business what they must pay...." or go troll someplace else.

  10. #390
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    What malfunction in your brain is causing you not to understand that the law WAS constitutional? If you want to show somehow that it was not constitutional and that Congress, the Supreme Court, and the POTUS were wrong - then add some value to this conversation. Otherwise, go troll someplace else.
    Let's simplify the question for you, since it appears to be necessary. Would you support the elimination of the minimum wage? Why or why not?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

Page 39 of 58 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •