Page 25 of 58 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 579

Thread: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

  1. #241
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Dangerous nonsense: "I have actually seen a study that shows that if you don't get treatment. Your chances of survival are better than going to cancer clinics."
    He still hasn't produced this phantom study. And I'm really getting tired of putting him in his place on the subject.

  2. #242
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Dangerous nonsense: "I have actually seen a study that shows that if you don't get treatment. Your chances of survival are better than going to cancer clinics."
    Better yet, I'm really getting tired of spending more time trying to fix stupid then I am actually debating any subjects. But the sad fact of the world is that people like him get others killed.

  3. #243
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,927
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    Better yet, I'm really getting tired of spending more time trying to fix stupid then I am actually debating any subjects. But the sad fact of the world is that people like him get others killed.
    That is indeed the problem.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  4. #244
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,388

    McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123]

    A few things. I don't expect a mcdonalds's employee to know or care about the intricacies of running a business where you make a profit on volume sale, over billions of items sold, including costs of shipping, manufacture, food processing, and sale. I don't expect them to understand or care about the simple concept of supply and demand. They seem to be dumbfounded by my request for no lettuce when I order.

    Why should they be paid living wages at an entry job? Hell I would love a living wage on a no education required job so I could pay off my college that I worked my ass off for.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  5. #245
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,571

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    Here's how I would come up with a Minimum wage.

    Assumption 1: I figure the husband has to take care of himself, perhaps his wife if she is not working too, and maybe one small kid.

    Assumption 2: Cost to live in USA, assuming a person cannot afford to relocated to the cheapest part of USA on a whim.
    Apartment (1-2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom): $600/month
    Food: $600/month
    Medical copay/pharmacy: $25/month
    Utilities: $200/month
    Telephone: $50/month
    Bus or public transportation: $200/month
    Clothing and home furnishings: $200/month
    Dental and eyecare: $50/month
    Other expenses: $100/month

    Needed take-home per family = $1400/month *AFTER* medical insurance and taxes. Therefore, before-tax wages need to be about $1900/month. $1900 divided by 160 hours of work is $12 per hour. Assuming I missed some expenses, pad in $3. So I feel a reasonable minimum wage is about $15 per hour.
    Well then, what do you do about jobs that only demand $6 or $7p/hr? Pay more than double the value of the work being provided? You need to go beyond just raising the wage and think about the ripple effect. Or do you believe all that will happen in a vacuum?
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  6. #246
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    Here's how I would come up with a Minimum wage.

    Assumption 1: I figure the husband has to take care of himself, perhaps his wife if she is not working too, and maybe one small kid.

    Assumption 2: Cost to live in USA, assuming a person cannot afford to relocated to the cheapest part of USA on a whim.
    Apartment (1-2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom): $600/month
    Food: $600/month
    Medical copay/pharmacy: $25/month
    Utilities: $200/month
    Telephone: $50/month
    Bus or public transportation: $200/month
    Clothing and home furnishings: $200/month
    Dental and eyecare: $50/month
    Other expenses: $100/month

    Needed take-home per family = $1400/month *AFTER* medical insurance and taxes. Therefore, before-tax wages need to be about $1900/month. $1900 divided by 160 hours of work is $12 per hour. Assuming I missed some expenses, pad in $3. So I feel a reasonable minimum wage is about $15 per hour.
    To achieve that minimum wage, how much value do you calculate the worker must produce for his employer? Wages aren't based on need. They are based on production.

  7. #247
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-10-15 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    971

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    Um no, they wouldn't lose their jobs. They would still have surgery and radiation therapy. Not to mention, haven't you ever thought about professional integrity? If doctors were just in it for the money, they wouldn't have survived the 16 years of secondary education and the 60-80 hour work weeks.

    You may do your own research, but you really do a bad job at it. Original thinking doesn't make it good thinking, I'm afraid, and here you are absolutely in the wrong. But do whatever you want. When you get cancer, refuse to go to the greedy doctor, and instead go to your local homopathogist. My heart will break for your loved ones who lost you based on your own stubborn stupidity.

    Oh, and LOL. You do realize that these same researchers who are studying LSD as a treatment for migraines are the same kind of researchers who looked developed chemotherapy drugs to kill cancer? I love how you are so quick to diss them on that subject but suddenly when they say something that might get your drug of choice legalized, you're all in for it. Unfortunately, it seems you're the one who is feeding into lies.
    It doctors had integrity they wouldn't be in the business would they....

    Hey at least I think outside the box, instead of believing all the lies told at the institutions funded my corporations.

    I ment the original founder Albert Hofmann , Actually bromocriptine is now being used for type two diabetes, this isn't the same as find chemo drugs. Thinking of the disfunction as a whole and learning the mechanisms of diabetes isn't the same as choosing a drug based on other people interpretations. The researchers I study think Cancer is disfunction at the biochemical level. Otto Warburg's work on the cell not able to go through oxidative phosphorylation and retrieving for a more primitive metabolism is a cause of cancer. However like I said, researchers only learn what they are taught at school which funded by corporations.

    Bromocriptine in type 2 diabetes mellitus
    Sometimes - history needs a push.
    Vladimir Lenin

  8. #248
    Advisor douglas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-29-16 @ 03:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    458

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    ~snip~
    bull ****
    my daughter graduated two years ago and now manages a medical practice. she earns a great salary, bonuses, works from home, works her own hours, and has access to vacation homes at the coast, in the mountains and in the immediate downtown of the major city in which she works
    she is leaving that job at the end of the year to begin her own enterprise
    my son is four years older and now earns $10,000 a week, plus expenses. he refused a full ride to college to pursue his own business. returned to school a year and a half later only because the people he ran around with were in college. realized he loved academics at that level. got his masters when his cohort received their bachelors
    what i see that is different about these young adults? they are going for it. they know that the only person who can hold them back is them
    I hope you know that kind of success is extremely atypical. According to New York Fed, 45% of Recent graduates (22-27 with a BA), have no job or work at a low-skill job. We could debate for years about the effect of a go-getter attitude vs pure chance, but the simplest fact is that we have a nationwide game of musical chairs; if there are only 100 open jobs at any given level and 1000 applicants, it doesn't matter which ones are go-getters or not, 900 people are walking home.
    ~snip~
    you could. but what is ever gained without risk. and i often encounter successful people who have experienced bankruptcy. they learned from it and had the motivation to refuse to allow that set back to end their pursuit of the American dream
    allow me here to also make another observation. at the end of my career, probably 30% of the small business owners i was helping were legal immigrants. while a tiny portion of the nation's population, these folks comprised a disproportionate number of business entrepreneurs. and i speculate that is because they are risk takers. people who left their native country in order to have a chance at economic success in a land which provides just such an opportunity. i do wonder why native born Americans are so unable to see the prospects of opportunity in their own country that foreign born persons recognize


    my only concern for you and what you have expressed is whether your fear of failure will be an impediment to your opportunities for success
    don't let it be so
    I am personally struggling with the contradicting views of how school prepared me for success and how to actually succeed. It's not a big struggle, I always thought they were full of crap, but I truly believed that there would be at least some sort of job for me to start at, to start a career with. I know some jackasses really think they'll be getting an elevator to the top of society just because they got a degree, and I'm certainly not one of them. You may have had a different experience than me, but I personally would have a lot more money today if I had just worked McJobs instead of going to college.

  9. #249
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by jag2594 View Post
    It doctors had integrity they wouldn't be in the business would they....

    Hey at least I think outside the box, instead of believing all the lies told at the institutions funded my corporations.

    I ment the original founder Albert Hofmann , Actually bromocriptine is now being used for type two diabetes, this isn't the same as find chemo drugs. Thinking of the disfunction as a whole and learning the mechanisms of diabetes isn't the same as choosing a drug based on other people interpretations. The researchers I study think Cancer is disfunction at the biochemical level. Otto Warburg's work on the cell not able to go through oxidative phosphorylation and retrieving for a more primitive metabolism is a cause of cancer. However like I said, researchers only learn what they are taught at school which funded by corporations.

    Bromocriptine in type 2 diabetes mellitus
    You're not thinking outside the box, more like thinking outside reality.

  10. #250
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    To achieve that minimum wage, how much value do you calculate the worker must produce for his employer? Wages aren't based on need. They are based on production.
    Minimum wage has nothing to do with production. Minimum wage is determined by Congress. I believe they made a minimum wage to make sure that employers paid American citizens enough to live on. My above numbers show that you need $1,400 to live on for a family of three. The US Government says the poverty level for a family of three (my example) is $19,090. Your assertion is that someone must produce something to deserve a minimum wage? Firemen don't produce anything - should they make $2 an hour?

Page 25 of 58 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •