Page 22 of 58 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 579

Thread: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

  1. #211
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:24 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,732

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Anyone with two working brain cells knows you were trolling the topic with rhetorical question rather than asking a question you wanted an answer to. The tip off is that you didn't ask "why $15/hour?" you took it a step further with the silly $30/hour notion just to do, as I already said, the logical fallacy of reductio ad absurdum.

    If you actually want an educated guess then it would be that this is how bargaining happens. You put out a high number that is still within the realm of reality. You don't start buy cutting yourself back before any negotiating can happen. On a side note, this is something that I criticize Obama over.
    You apparently don't have two working brain cells, because you didn't understand the intention of my question at all. It was a legitemate question that I want to know the answer to. Thanks.

    And you say "within the realm of reality". $15/hour is nowhere close to reality for a starting fast food worker. Asking for $30 really would be no more absurd.

  2. #212
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,096

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    No, you're really not.
    This changes my mind completely. I stand corrected. Your contributions to this topic are invaluable. Keep 'em comin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  3. #213
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,096

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    You apparently don't have two working brain cells, because you didn't understand the intention of my question at all. It was a legitemate question that I want to know the answer to. Thanks.
    Really? then why the ad hominem attack citing my first paragraph when I provided an answer in my second paragraph that you seemed to have ignored altogether? Guess you weren't wanting an answer after all huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  4. #214
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:24 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,732

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Really? then why the ad hominem attack citing my first paragraph when I provided an answer in my second paragraph that you seemed to have ignored altogether? Guess you weren't wanting an answer after all huh?
    I didn't attack you, and you answered nothing. Why are you still posting?

  5. #215
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    There are only 3% of U.S. workers now getting the minimum wage (MW), with those on "the dole" now getting far more than that. As soon as the federal MW goes up (in excess of a tiny periodic inflation adjustment) so will the federal poverty level, COLA adjustments (to everything) and we are right back where we started (minus a few jobs) but with higher prices for all U.S. goods/services. Rinse and repeat...
    I disagree. No matter what the minimum wage is, there will be no change in the cost of milking a cow, growing an acre of wheat, pumping oil out of a field in Evenston, Wyoming, etc. Maybe a burger will cost a bit more at Mickey D's; but 90% of what we consume in America has nothing to do with a minimum wage worker. No minimum wage workers build cars in detroit, wait on you at a doctors office or a hospital, fix your roads, cash your check at the bank, fly your airplanes, grow your crops or raise your meats, sail your freighter ships, or fix your telephone lines. Places you see minimum wage is the dude that stocks your Campell Soups at Publix at 3 AM, drop your fries at Wendy's, or carry your groceries to the car at Winn-Dixie. But that's a mere fraction of the people you interact with every day.

  6. #216
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,096

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    I didn't attack you, and you answered nothing. Why are you still posting?
    This is what I posted that you replied to yet ignored.

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob
    If you actually want an educated guess then it would be that this is how bargaining happens. You put out a high number that is still within the realm of reality. You don't start buy cutting yourself back before any negotiating can happen. On a side note, this is something that I criticize Obama over.
    You can stop pretending you ever wanted a debate now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  7. #217
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Since I posted that I've been googling In-N-Out burger info and it's rather incredible. The woman who runs it is the youngest female billionaire and their wages are awesome as well as their business model. It is privately owned so no franchising and even though they don't expand overly fast they do expand and the conditions are neat... they have to be located near one of their distribution centers because no store has a microwave or freezer. So it's rather fresh. I like the simplicity too as you stated. The store managers of these tiny joints are pushing $100k to $150k/year averaging about 14 years of experience there.

    There are none around here but I was in Phoenix when they expanded there and people lost their minds over it.
    To answer your response up, yeah its a different business model from McDonald's. Their ability to pay higher wages isn't necessarily a reflection on McDonald's ability.

    Usually I see competitive businesses fall into two kinds of categories. Businesses that hire a lot of employees and pay low wages or businesses that hire fewer employees and pay higher wages, making up the difference using efficiency and productivity.

  8. #218
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:24 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,732

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    This is what I posted that you replied to yet ignored.



    You can stop pretending you ever wanted a debate now.
    I wanted/want a debate, but I should specify that I'd like a debate with people who have some intelligence.

  9. #219
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,890
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    I'd be willing to bet that Zurich has factors other than employee wage driving that price.
    No doubt. I was only illustrating price variability. The primary use of the BMI is to assess currency values.
    Last edited by Jack Hays; 08-31-13 at 06:51 PM.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  10. #220
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,650

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    You are simply assuming that prices will skyrocket beyond the wage increases' affordability. So it's not as simple as rinse and repeat. If it were then we'd never ever ever have any adjustments in poverty levels because your logic seems to be that price movement directly reflects wage movement penny per penny.
    OK then make MW $14.42/hour and we all then get at least the current median U.S. wage (less the affect of inflation that it causes). Of course, many cashiers will then be replaced by self check-out machines, more jobs outsourced and more illegal aliens pouring in.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Page 22 of 58 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •