Page 21 of 58 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 579

Thread: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

  1. #201
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,887

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    The Economist, partly tongue in cheek, calculates relative cost of living at different locations around the world via their "Big Mac Index," so the price does indeed vary. If memory serves, the most expensive I recall was a $13 Big Mac in Zurich.
    I'd be willing to bet that Zurich has factors other than employee wage driving that price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  2. #202
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,887

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    No answer? Then why bother posting a response?
    Really? You make a huge, false bull**** narrative of the topic then criticize it's outcome just to argue with your own narrative and then you expect people to actually somehow engage you on that fake playing field that doesn't exist? Be reasonable and then you might have people to debate with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  3. #203
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,887

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    $10.50/hour isn't $15/hour, is it?
    And $15/hour isn't $30/hour, is it?

    I'm at least speaking within reality. Things that are happening and are provable rather than extrapolating fake scenarios with numbers I've pulled directly out of my arse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  4. #204
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,726

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Really? You make a huge, false bull**** narrative of the topic then criticize it's outcome just to argue with your own narrative and then you expect people to actually somehow engage you on that fake playing field that doesn't exist? Be reasonable and then you might have people to debate with.
    I asked why/how they came up with $15/hour to fight for? Why that number? Why not $30/hour (or make up your own number)?

    If you don't know the answer, or don't even have an intelligent guess, then simply don't respond. Thanks.
    Last edited by The Man; 08-31-13 at 06:31 PM.

  5. #205
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,726

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    I'm at least speaking within reality.
    No, you're really not.

  6. #206
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,565

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    I see your point but there is no doubt that In-N-Out employees are contributing far more to society than McD employees are. Not only in spending but also in their wages making them ineligible and not in need of food stamps just to survive. If we just tie the minimum wage to inflation and make a 40 hour work week on minimum wage pay enough so that people wouldn't be able to qualify government subsidies and are able to live off of... our economy will stabilize rather well.
    There are only 3% of U.S. workers now getting the minimum wage (MW), with those on "the dole" now getting far more than that. As soon as the federal MW goes up (in excess of a tiny periodic inflation adjustment) so will the federal poverty level, COLA adjustments (to everything) and we are right back where we started (minus a few jobs) but with higher prices for all U.S. goods/services. Rinse and repeat...
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #207
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,887

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    I asked why/how they came up with $15/hour to fight for. Why that number? Why not $30/hour (or make up your own number)?

    If you don't know the answer, or even have an intelligent guess, then simply don't respond. Thanks.
    Anyone with two working brain cells knows you were trolling the topic with rhetorical question rather than asking a question you wanted an answer to. The tip off is that you didn't ask "why $15/hour?" you took it a step further with the silly $30/hour notion just to do, as I already said, the logical fallacy of reductio ad absurdum.

    If you actually want an educated guess then it would be that this is how bargaining happens. You put out a high number that is still within the realm of reality. You don't start buy cutting yourself back before any negotiating can happen. On a side note, this is something that I criticize Obama over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  8. #208
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,887

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    There are only 3% of U.S. workers now getting the minimum wage (MW), with those on "the dole" now getting far more than that. As soon as the federal MW goes up (in excess of a tiny periodic inflation adjustment) so will the federal poverty level, COLA adjustments (to everything) and we are right back where we started (minus a few jobs) but with higher prices for all U.S. goods/services. Rinse and repeat...
    You are simply assuming that prices will skyrocket beyond the wage increases' affordability. So it's not as simple as rinse and repeat. If it were then we'd never ever ever have any adjustments in poverty levels because your logic seems to be that price movement directly reflects wage movement penny per penny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  9. #209
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    I asked why/how they came up with $15/hour to fight for. Why that number?
    Here's how I would come up with a Minimum wage.

    Assumption 1: I figure the husband has to take care of himself, perhaps his wife if she is not working too, and maybe one small kid.

    Assumption 2: Cost to live in USA, assuming a person cannot afford to relocated to the cheapest part of USA on a whim.
    Apartment (1-2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom): $600/month
    Food: $600/month
    Medical copay/pharmacy: $25/month
    Utilities: $200/month
    Telephone: $50/month
    Bus or public transportation: $200/month
    Clothing and home furnishings: $200/month
    Dental and eyecare: $50/month
    Other expenses: $100/month

    Needed take-home per family = $1400/month *AFTER* medical insurance and taxes. Therefore, before-tax wages need to be about $1900/month. $1900 divided by 160 hours of work is $12 per hour. Assuming I missed some expenses, pad in $3. So I feel a reasonable minimum wage is about $15 per hour.

  10. #210
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,565

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    $10.50/hour isn't $15/hour, is it?
    It is the inflation adjusted equivalent of the federal minimum wage in 1968 (the historic high).
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Page 21 of 58 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •