Page 20 of 58 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 579

Thread: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

  1. #191
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,837

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    Honestly I don't know how the test will go in Europe. I know that no restaurant would work with no customer service personnel and with McDonalds expanding menu and increased complexity it will be interesting to see how well the automation works. A trade show I once went to had a robot flipping burgers.

    It's important to note a couple things however. Lots of jobs at McD's are so simple that machines can easily do the work because the work is not at all technical. If someone is easily replaced by a machine, it behooves the business to make the substitution because the truth is while business depends on employees it's always the goal to do as much work with as few of them as possible.
    It's true that such companies are always looking where they can cut but increasing wages won't expedite that. If the technology is there, they will implement it regardless. I know it would seem that their jobs are so simple that they can be automated without much effort but I seriously don't believe that. Machines can be very productive but they are terrible at adaptation and flipping burgers are a lot of production but also there is a high need for adaptation because it is a very service oriented business and customers are extremely finicky and change their minds a lot. Something that machines aren't very good with adapting to.

    So the bottom line of my point is, machines can produce it but if they can't adapt fast to customer on the fly, they will produce a lot of waste for the company.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  2. #192
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Since I posted that I've been googling In-N-Out burger info and it's rather incredible. The woman who runs it is the youngest female billionaire and their wages are awesome as well as their business model. It is privately owned so no franchising and even though they don't expand overly fast they do expand and the conditions are neat... they have to be located near one of their distribution centers because no store has a microwave or freezer. So it's rather fresh. I like the simplicity too as you stated. The store managers of these tiny joints are pushing $100k to $150k/year averaging about 14 years of experience there.

    There are none around here but I was in Phoenix when they expanded there and people lost their minds over it.
    I have never been to In-And-Out Burger, but if it's anything like Fuddruckers I can see why people love it. Fudd's is the best burgers in USA in my opinion. They even sell black angus filet burgers, ostrich burgers, buffalo burgers, and crocodile burgers now.

  3. #193
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,551

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Since I posted that I've been googling In-N-Out burger info and it's rather incredible. The woman who runs it is the youngest female billionaire and their wages are awesome as well as their business model. It is privately owned so no franchising and even though they don't expand overly fast they do expand and the conditions are neat... they have to be located near one of their distribution centers because no store has a microwave or freezer. So it's rather fresh. I like the simplicity too as you stated. The store managers of these tiny joints are pushing $100k to $150k/year averaging about 14 years of experience there.

    There are none around here but I was in Phoenix when they expanded there and people lost their minds over it.
    The best part of that operation is that it took ZERO gov't action to compete with the "big boys" (McD's, KFC and BK). All it took was the brains and balls to do it.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #194
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,748
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Since I posted that I've been googling In-N-Out burger info and it's rather incredible. The woman who runs it is the youngest female billionaire and their wages are awesome as well as their business model. It is privately owned so no franchising and even though they don't expand overly fast they do expand and the conditions are neat... they have to be located near one of their distribution centers because no store has a microwave or freezer. So it's rather fresh. I like the simplicity too as you stated. The store managers of these tiny joints are pushing $100k to $150k/year averaging about 14 years of experience there.

    There are none around here but I was in Phoenix when they expanded there and people lost their minds over it.
    The woman who runs it is a descendant of the founders so it's not surprising she's wealthy. The more unexpected aspect is that the family is quite religious.

    In-N-Out prints discreet references to Bible verses on their paper containers. These consist of the book, chapter, and number of the verse, not the text of the passage, in small print on an inconspicuous area of the item. The practice began in the 1980s during Rich Snyder's presidency,[36] a reflection of the Christian beliefs held by the Snyder family.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  5. #195
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,837

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    I have never been to In-And-Out Burger, but if it's anything like Fuddruckers I can see why people love it. Fudd's is the best burgers in USA in my opinion. They even sell black angus filet burgers, ostrich burgers, buffalo burgers, and crocodile burgers now.
    Nothing like Fuddruckers. They are geared for drive thru pick up and they have a tiny tiny menu. Not many choices at all so they focus on what they do and do it well. While the selection is limited, I'd imagine their product overhead is nominal by comparison to Fuddruckers... or any other restaurant for that matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  6. #196
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,748
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    No. You have not one iota of ground to stand on when you say you know that big macs will be $8. In & Out burgers has a starting wage of $10.50/hour and are doing rather well for a fast food chain with their 16,000 employees.
    The Economist, partly tongue in cheek, calculates relative cost of living at different locations around the world via their "Big Mac Index," so the price does indeed vary. If memory serves, the most expensive I recall was a $13 Big Mac in Zurich.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  7. #197
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Reductio ad absurdum
    No answer? Then why bother posting a response?

  8. #198
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    First I'd like to say it really pisses me off that I'm basically having to do your work for you because all you did was a 2 minute search in google books without even reading them and called it your "proof." But, since I'm convinced that you have absolutely no argument to make here, I took the initiative to bury your argument before you could even make it.


    So let's see here, you give me three books the first from 1981 and the third 1993. The first is just about as ridiculous as I've ever heard. How allopathic medicine became the model? As opposed to what? Homopathy? Acupuncture? When a guy quotes Marx more then he does any actual science on a subject about scientific medicine, that's usually the first sign of someone talking out of his ass.

    The third isn't far behind, looking at "the reasons for the rise of molecular biology" in the 1920s an attempt to prove a some alternative view of biology. Give me a break, no where in the book does it actually disprove any of the current theories of biology, and instead tries to talk as if we were still in the 1960s. Skiming through the book I couldn't find any actual talk of biology in the first 60 pages, this book is more about self-promotion of the Rockefeller Foundation rather then actually containing reliable piece of information.

    The second isn't as bad as the other two, and he's making a little more of a fair argument. He seems to be criticizing how the drug business runs through the pharmaceutical and medical industry. His example is how one actually has to be diagnosed as depressed in order to get SSRI's, where are St. John's root, and herb, is available over the counter. He's basically asking why do drugs have to be sold with a prescription and run through the medical industry? Well, because that is supposed to be the point of the medical industry anyways, to make a diagnosis and follow the best course of action. He asks why are they able to patent compounds that occur naturally, to which I would say because they discovered it and researched its properties. He also criticizes how protocol forces doctors to prescribe drugs that may be less effective then advertise because drug companies don't have to release their raw data. Its a good argument to make, but it doesn't actually prove one way or the other whether chemo is worse then cancer. Nor does his argument apply across the board either, presumption of guilt isn't something to be made without hard evidence. Often enough, when a pharmaceutical company covers up a drug's side effects and/or lack of efficency, it comes out at some point or another. How do you think he got the info for his book in the first place? Asking for more transparency in the drug making process is fair, claiming that some how all drugs are inheritantly tainted because of a small number of cases is quite a stretch. And a stretch that I don't see him make.

    Oh, and by the way, I don't see anywhere that they claim that chemo is worse then cancer. The first tries to quote a social critic who thinks that medicine has made us sicker then we would've been without it (notice how he doesn't actually produce any evidence to back this up, it's just his "argument" based on his Marxian worldview.) Even IF that were true in 1981, that doesn't make it true today with the invention of thousands of breakthrough pharmacueticals such as anti-retrovirals for HIV patients, gene therapy, or stem cell treatments for just about..... well .... quite possibly anything. And still no proof on how your part, or any of your book's part, chemo is worse then cancer..... not a single scientific paper. So unless you're claiming that thousands of research papers, lab experiments, and double blind human trials done by both industry and public organizations are wrong about the effectiveness of chemotherapy vs. cancer, it seems you do not have a leg to stand on here.
    Last edited by ReformCollege; 08-31-13 at 06:24 PM.

  9. #199
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,837

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The best part of that operation is that it took ZERO gov't action to compete with the "big boys" (McD's, KFC and BK). All it took was the brains and balls to do it.
    I see your point but there is no doubt that In-N-Out employees are contributing far more to society than McD employees are. Not only in spending but also in their wages making them ineligible and not in need of food stamps just to survive. If we just tie the minimum wage to inflation and make a 40 hour work week on minimum wage pay enough so that people wouldn't be able to qualify government subsidies and are able to live off of... our economy will stabilize rather well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  10. #200
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    No. You have not one iota of ground to stand on when you say you know that big macs will be $8. In & Out burgers has a starting wage of $10.50/hour and are doing rather well for a fast food chain with their 16,000 employees.
    $10.50/hour isn't $15/hour, is it?

Page 20 of 58 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •