Page 19 of 58 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 579

Thread: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by jag2594 View Post
    Its common knowledge...you don't need any qualifications to have common sense.
    If its common knowledge, it should be easy for you to back up what you are saying with some data. I'll wait.

  2. #182
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Customers create jobs. Anyone actually running a business would know this.
    How many customers is McDonalds going to have with $8 big macs?

  3. #183
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,014

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    How many customers is McDonalds going to have with $8 big macs?
    How can we have a reasonable debate when people fabricate numbers as if they were McDonalds themselves and know the adjustments to be made? I live in Santa Fe where the miniumum wage is over $10/hour. And I'll bet our big macs are no more than they are where you are at and if they are, it wouldn't be massively skewed as you are saying would happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  4. #184
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-10-15 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    971

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    If its common knowledge, it should be easy for you to back up what you are saying with some data. I'll wait.
    Rockefeller Medicine Men: Medicine and Capitalism in America - E. Richard Brown - Google Books

    Pharmageddon - David Healy - Google Books

    The Molecular Vision of Life: Caltech, the Rockefeller Foundation, and the ... - Lily E. Kay - Google Books

    I won't be surprise if you ask me to take some passages out....
    Sometimes - history needs a push.
    Vladimir Lenin

  5. #185
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    How can we have a reasonable debate when people fabricate numbers as if they were McDonalds themselves and know the adjustments to be made?
    And you don't think that is what people are doing when they say McDonald's can afford to pay $15/hour?

  6. #186
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,014

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    And you don't think that is what people are doing when they say McDonald's can afford to pay $15/hour?
    No. You have not one iota of ground to stand on when you say you know that big macs will be $8. In & Out burgers has a starting wage of $10.50/hour and are doing rather well for a fast food chain with their 16,000 employees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  7. #187
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,578

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    No. You have not one iota of ground to stand on when you say you know that big macs will be $8. In & Out burgers has a starting wage of $10.50/hour and are doing rather well for a fast food chain with their 16,000 employees.
    While I disagree that the primary draw of In & Out Burger, over McDonalds, is their product's price I applaud their success and ability to pay better wages. They are now what McDonald's was, way back then, a basic burger and fries joint that serves a limitted menu. I am disappointed that Subway has decided to expand their menu and operating hours, it has caused the price of their basic subs to have increased dramatically; I suspect, to cover the loses incurred by that expansion.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #188
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    And you honestly don't think such new technology would ever be implemented otherwise? Were self checkout lanes implemented at grocery stores because all grocery store cashiers got some kind of across the board raise that spiked labor costs?
    Honestly I don't know how the test will go in Europe. I know that no restaurant would work with no customer service personnel and with McDonalds expanding menu and increased complexity it will be interesting to see how well the automation works. A trade show I once went to had a robot flipping burgers.

    It's important to note a couple things however. Lots of jobs at McD's are so simple that machines can easily do the work because the work is not at all technical. If someone is easily replaced by a machine, it behooves the business to make the substitution because the truth is while business depends on employees it's always the goal to do as much work with as few of them as possible.

  9. #189
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,014

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    While I disagree that the primary draw of In & Out Burger, over McDonalds, is their product's price I applaud their success and ability to pay better wages. They are now what McDonald's was, way back then, a basic burger and fries joint that serves a limitted menu. I am disappointed that Subway has decided to expand their menu and operating hours, it has caused the price of their basic subs to have increased dramatically; I suspect, to cover the loses incurred by that expansion.
    Since I posted that I've been googling In-N-Out burger info and it's rather incredible. The woman who runs it is the youngest female billionaire and their wages are awesome as well as their business model. It is privately owned so no franchising and even though they don't expand overly fast they do expand and the conditions are neat... they have to be located near one of their distribution centers because no store has a microwave or freezer. So it's rather fresh. I like the simplicity too as you stated. The store managers of these tiny joints are pushing $100k to $150k/year averaging about 14 years of experience there.

    There are none around here but I was in Phoenix when they expanded there and people lost their minds over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  10. #190
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    re: McJobs and the Minimum Wage[W:123,226]

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    This is nothing but an attempt by organized labor to unionize fast-food workers. If it weren't? They'd be lobbying Washington instead of shutting down McDonald's outlets.
    A McDonald's worker making minimum wage cannot go to Washington for a protest, let alone get face time with Senators to lobby anything. At best they can organize and stand with a picket sign in front of the McDonald's where they work for a week.

Page 19 of 58 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •