Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 113

Thread: David Cameron loses Syria vote in Commons

  1. #31
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,190

    Re: David Cameron loses Syria vote in Commons

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    there has to be something we can do to help the people of Syria.

    is there any objections to providing aid and support to the Syrian refugees displaced by this civil war?
    I don't know about the US, but Canada has already given $160 million to support humanitarian efforts helping displaced Syrians.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  2. #32
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: David Cameron loses Syria vote in Commons

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    We shall see.. lets just say I dont trust the Tories further than I can throw them.

    What I want is the freaking evidence they claim to have... the world wants it, but why are they not releasing it?
    Cameron has received a huge blow to his authority. The commentators are talking about him being a lame-duck PM and are also discussing how the unwritten British constitution has effectively changed as a result of Iraq and this episode such that the PM no longer has the legitimate ability to act militarily without the consent of parliament. Prior to Iraq it was understood that parliament must be informed of executive decisions on military action. Now it is seen that its permission is now required.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  3. #33
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: David Cameron loses Syria vote in Commons

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    Cameron has received a huge blow to his authority. The commentators are talking about him being a lame-duck PM and are also discussing how the unwritten British constitution has effectively changed as a result of Iraq and this episode such that the PM no longer has the legitimate ability to act militarily without the consent of parliament. Prior to Iraq it was understood that parliament must be informed of executive decisions on military action. Now it is seen that its permission is now required.
    That happens when you lie to the people... which Blair did.

    It is funny listening to the Tory faithful defending Cameron..
    PeteEU

  4. #34
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,826

    Re: David Cameron loses Syria vote in Commons

    How is it possible to have a vote in the US Congress when Boehner will not call them back into session?

    He's too busy golfing, campaigning and fund-raising.

    He'll just let Bush's losers like Rummy lay another big turd as Rummy pulls for the all-white guy in Russia.

  5. #35
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: David Cameron loses Syria vote in Commons

    IMO, the vote reflects:

    1. A lack of compelling British strategic interest in military intervention in Syria (something that is true for the U.S., as well)
    2. Information related to the responsibility of the chemical weapons attack that does not rise to the standard of confidence necessary to justify a use of force.

    On the latter point, Washington has used the word "circumstantial" to describe the case and has, at last word, declined to make public the reported electronic intercepts. The reality is that there is probably high confidence that a chemical weapons attack took place, but not the degree of confidence as to who was responsible. In other words, sufficiently significant uncertainty exists.

    It will be interesting to see what the UN investigation reports perhaps as early as this weekend.

  6. #36
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,190

    Re: David Cameron loses Syria vote in Commons

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    How is it possible to have a vote in the US Congress when Boehner will not call them back into session?

    He's too busy golfing, campaigning and fund-raising.

    He'll just let Bush's losers like Rummy lay another big turd as Rummy pulls for the all-white guy in Russia.
    Did Obama request an emergency session of congress, as Bush did prior to the Iraq war? Why would Boehner call the House back if there's nothing to debate - unless you're claiming that Obama wants a vote and Boehner is not cooperating and I'd like to see your evidence of that.

    And to claim Boehner is bad because he's "golfing, campaigning, and fund-raising" in comparison to Obama is perhaps the funniest line of the day - pathetically sad, but funny.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  7. #37
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: David Cameron loses Syria vote in Commons

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    IMO, the vote reflects:

    1. A lack of compelling British strategic interest in military intervention in Syria (something that is true for the U.S., as well)
    2. Information related to the responsibility of the chemical weapons attack that does not rise to the standard of confidence necessary to justify a use of force.

    On the latter point, Washington has used the word "circumstantial" to describe the case and has, at last word, declined to make public the reported electronic intercepts. The reality is that there is probably high confidence that a chemical weapons attack took place, but not the degree of confidence as to who was responsible. In other words, sufficiently significant uncertainty exists.

    It will be interesting to see what the UN investigation reports perhaps as early as this weekend.
    I think it reflects more on members of parliament and congress not being elected on foreign policy. Previously, the case was dependent on a degree of trust in the executive, because MPs and Congressmen have no clue, their constituents don't elect them on what they know on ME policy. That trust has been eroded for decades now.

  8. #38
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: David Cameron loses Syria vote in Commons

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post

    It will be interesting to see what the UN investigation reports perhaps as early as this weekend.
    Whatever it says, it is unlikely to identify who carried out the attack, merely that one definitely took place. How could it identify the perpetrators?
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  9. #39
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: David Cameron loses Syria vote in Commons

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    Whatever it says, it is unlikely to identify who carried out the attack, merely that one definitely took place. How could it identify the perpetrators?
    I don't believe the report will apportion blame. But what was found e.g., delivery mechanisms, could shed some light on who was responsible.

  10. #40
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: David Cameron loses Syria vote in Commons

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    Whatever it says, it is unlikely to identify who carried out the attack, merely that one definitely took place. How could it identify the perpetrators?
    Who would it hurt to W8NC?

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •