Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 268

Thread: Crowds gather for March on Washington 50th anniversary[W:101]

  1. #241
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Crowds gather for March on Washington 50th anniversary

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I already did. They are abundant and glaring.
    The post was directed at Fiddytree.

  2. #242
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Crowds gather for March on Washington 50th anniversary

    Quote Originally Posted by Juanita View Post
    Logic? What logic? Facts? I don't see any facts. You start calling people commies like Allen West, then I am not going to subject myself to your tyranny "or" get any more infractions.....
    I don't believe progressives know, or - better yet understand - the difference between a fact and a belief...

  3. #243
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Crowds gather for March on Washington 50th anniversary

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    Yes, as I explained. Problem solved.


    So it is your contention that the Democrats supporting slavery, and the Republicans supporting freedom, was not an issue? That the philosophies of those two parties was also not an issue? It just happened that Democrats lived in the South and Republicans lived in the North and they fought because 'the sections' didn't like each other? That's an interesting and unique take.
    So it is your contention that the South supporting slavery, and the North supporting freedom, was not an issue? That the philosophies of those two regions was also not an issue? It just happened that Democrats and Republicans fought because the members of the parties didn't like each other and the sections of where they lived were irrelevant? That's an interesting and unique take and demonstrates that you know nothing of American history and the Civil War.


    The policies of the political parties were not important, huh? Both parties believed the same thing. This is fascinating!
    I never said that. Try arguing what I said NOT what you want me to have said. I know it's easier for you to do the latter, but it's not honest.

    Your conclusions seem a bit muddled here. Conservatives tend to believe that some traditions are important, yes, but slavery has never been a tradition in the democracies.
    REALLY? Seems to me that slavery was a tradition in the US.

    Conservatives tend to believe in the rights of man while liberals tend to believe the fashions of the day, as you know.
    REALLY? Conservatives have needed to be dragged kicking and screaming into things like black rights, gay rights, women's rights. It is amusing to watch your historical revisionism.

    Slavery was actually a brief and ugly period in America, as well as in other parts of the civilized world, but those who believed more in the "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" philosophy (Conservatives) eventually won the day.
    That's quite amusing since it was conservatives and their state's rights beliefs and their reactionary "traditions" that caused the Civil War and keep Jim Crow laws in place. Anyone who understands political philosophy knows that change is instituted by liberals. Except you, apparently.

    This is odd. You seem ready to give these two warring groups a mixed bag of names but refuse to call them what they were. Democrats and Republicans. Democrats South, Republicans North. It's really not so complicated.
    That's odd. You seem to believe that everything is based on partisanship. What you don't seem to understand are the basics of the causes of the Civil War. Regional differences and economics. Partisanship was incidental. It's really not that complicated.

    Again, you are wrong. I said it was the liberals who 'embraced communism' which millions did, while the conservatives opposed it because, as you will remember, it related to a differing opinion on human rights and freedoms.
    As I said, you don't really understand communism. There are no violations of human rights and freedoms because of communism... simply because every government that has attempted to become communistic has become fascist. It's human nature.

    Just as in the Civil War. Liberalism and Communism is not the same, just in case you harbored any doubt as to what I said, but as Liberals no longer have a firm footing in any philosophical school they are easily led into believing in whatever new philosophy which might arrive on their doorstep.
    I always find it amusing when a conservative partisan tries to define liberalism. They never get it right and it's amusing watching them try.


    Right. Between the North and the South. The parties philosophies were extremely relevant at the time and the Democrats of today share a great deal with their ancestors. Thinking that a Black person is something less than anyone else is one of those shared characteristics.
    In bold. That was a Southern belief. You yourself stated that many Democrats supported Lincoln... true, and something that has torpedoed your argument. This was regional, not partisan.

    Not when it's referring to the Civil War. You seem to be getting the participants in the civil war confused with simple directions.
    Absolutely when referring to the Civil War. You seem to be getting the participants in the Civil War confused because of partisan historical revisionism.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #244
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Crowds gather for March on Washington 50th anniversary

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    The post was directed at Fiddytree.
    And I responded.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #245
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Crowds gather for March on Washington 50th anniversary

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I don't believe progressives know, or - better yet understand - the difference between a fact and a belief...
    Interesting. That's what I've always seen from extreme conservatives.

    Now that we have dispensed with the idiotic partisan hackery, do you have anything of substance to add to the discussion?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #246
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    30n x 90w
    Last Seen
    11-27-13 @ 09:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,192

    Re: Crowds gather for March on Washington 50th anniversary

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    So it is your contention that the South supporting slavery, and the North supporting freedom, was not an issue?


    I'd just like to say that the war wasn't begun or fought to preserve or end slavery.

  7. #247
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Crowds gather for March on Washington 50th anniversary

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    So it is your contention that the South supporting slavery, and the North supporting freedom, was not an issue?
    Right. That is, as I have been saying, the issue. The Democrat controlled South, with their racist policies, fought the Republican controlled North, with their policies of human rights and freedoms. History is very clear on this.

    That the philosophies of those two regions was also not an issue? It just happened that Democrats and Republicans fought because the members of the parties didn't like each other and the sections of where they lived were irrelevant? That's an interesting and unique take and demonstrates that you know nothing of American history and the Civil War.
    It seems you are trying to squirm out of your previously held positions where it was 'sections' which were more important and the differences between Democrats and Republicans were not an issue.

    I never said that. Try arguing what I said NOT what you want me to have said. I know it's easier for you to do the latter, but it's not honest.
    Yes, it seems i'll have to back and retrieve your quotes on the subject as your views on the subject tend to change.
    REALLY? Seems to me that slavery was a tradition in the US.
    No, it was not. It was a tradition among the Democrats but not the Republicans. And, as I mentioned, much of their philosophies continue to this day.

    REALLY? Conservatives have needed to be dragged kicking and screaming into things like black rights, gay rights, women's rights. It is amusing to watch your historical revisionism.
    We can discuss those issues later but, again, lets be clear that it was Democrats who opposed Black rights, not Republicans.

    That's quite amusing since it was conservatives and their state's rights beliefs and their reactionary "traditions" that caused the Civil War and keep Jim Crow laws in place. Anyone who understands political philosophy knows that change is instituted by liberals. Except you, apparently.
    Again. It was Democrats vesrus Republicans. There is no denying that.
    That's odd. You seem to believe that everything is based on partisanship. What you don't seem to understand are the basics of the causes of the Civil War. Regional differences and economics. Partisanship was incidental. It's really not that complicated.
    No, it's not that complicated at all.

    As I said, you don't really understand communism. There are no violations of human rights and freedoms because of communism... simply because every government that has attempted to become communistic has become fascist. It's human nature.
    No violation of human rights because of communism?? What a remarkable statement. It should be understood that Communism can only exist under a totalitarian system, and those countries who suffered under communist dictatorships were the worst places in the world in which to live. But when Ronald Regan, a Conservative, called Russia an 'Evil Empire', which it surely was, it was the liberals who protested the most. Anywhere people wanted to be free it was the liberals who protested that freedom, preferring that their ideologies trump basic human rights. Over 100,000,000 died and millions more had their lives ruined because of Communism but, as so often happens with the left, it wasn't the fault of the philosophy, only the methods of carrying it out. Well despite whatever flaws those Communist governments had at the time, the liberals certainly spoke up for them, freedoms and human rights be damned.
    I always find it amusing when a conservative partisan tries to define liberalism. They never get it right and it's amusing watching them try.
    In fact liberals cannot define contemporary liberalism because it's all over the map. And course their take on Conservatives tends to based on what one person may have said in any particular time and that somehow defines all conservatives. No books on the subject need be read.
    In bold. That was a Southern belief. You yourself stated that many Democrats supported Lincoln... true, and something that has torpedoed your argument. This was regional, not partisan.
    It was a Democratic belief and still is. And i never said many, I said some, just as I said some Republicans may have supported slavery. But the divisions in the overall philosophies between the two parties were quite clear.
    Absolutely when referring to the Civil War. You seem to be getting the participants in the Civil War confused because of partisan historical revisionism.
    What 'historical revisionism'? The Democrats controlled the South at time and for over a hundred years after, while the Republicans controlled the North, where Black people were more free. That's not revision at all.

  8. #248
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Crowds gather for March on Washington 50th anniversary

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    And I responded.
    Yes, we know.

  9. #249
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Crowds gather for March on Washington 50th anniversary

    Quote Originally Posted by P. Kersey View Post
    I'd just like to say that the war wasn't begun or fought to preserve or end slavery.
    States rights? Don't hesitate to jump in PK.

  10. #250
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Crowds gather for March on Washington 50th anniversary

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Interesting. That's what I've always seen from extreme conservatives.

    Now that we have dispensed with the idiotic partisan hackery, do you have anything of substance to add to the discussion?
    Captain Courtesy strikes again!

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •