Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 295

Thread: Syria crisis: UK to put forward UN resolution

  1. #31
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,253

    Re: Syria crisis: UK to put forward UN resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Of course you don't. Assad welcomed the UN inspectors, eager to prove he didn't use chemical weapons. But when they arrived, the rebel snipers opened fire on the caravan forcing a retreat. WHO is it that has something to hide?
    That's what the evil dictator said yes...
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  2. #32
    Global Moderator
    May the force be with you
    Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,937

    Re: Syria crisis: UK to put forward UN resolution

    You know the estimated deaths from conventional weapons in the two year old Syrian civil war are estimated between 80,000 to 110,000. Just shocking. Action deemed necessary - Nada.

    Meanwhile Chemical attack kills 350 people - Now there's support for Full steam ahead without any concrete proof as to who is responsible for those particular attacks - The Syrian government or the Rebels...

    Who are you going to target?

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Syria crisis: UK to put forward UN resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    There's no way for it to pass, with Russia and China blocking. I get the feeling the decision's made, but the US is reluctant, under pressure from its allies to be policeman again. Cameron's desperate to be seen as more macho.
    Heya Skipper. Its more of the French. As they think they can do whatever they want by stating they are protecting the people of another country.


    US, allies going beyond UN to justify Syria action

    The United States and its allies are looking beyond the painfully divided U.N. Security Council to legitimize military action against Syria, trying to build a cohesive rationale for a strike and win broad international backing.

    A U.S.-led coalition is likely to invoke an international doctrine known as the Responsibility to Protect, which states that the international community has an obligation to act to prevent crimes against humanity no matter where they occur, said Stephen Biddle, an expert on U.S. military and foreign policy at George Washington University. Biddle noted that the doctrine is increasingly perceived as superceding the need to respect a country's sovereignty.

    "The two natural avenues are NATO and the doctrine of responsibility to protect," he said.

    With little appetite among Americans for plunging into another Mideast conflict, the Obama administration cast its rationale for striking Syria in narrow terms. The goal would not be regime change — as was the case in Iraq — but punishing Syria for its violations of international treaties on chemical weapons, White House spokesman Jay Carney said.

    U.N. spokesman Farhan Haq said Tuesday that U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon's stance remains unchanged: "Our focus is away from any military solution and toward a diplomatic solution."

    But the United States, France and Britain all argued this week that waiting for U.N. action can no longer be justified.

    French President Francois Hollande suggested that the Security Council's failure to act so far is justifying a terrible international crime.

    "International law must evolve with the times. It cannot be a pretext to allow mass massacres to be perpetrated," French President Francois Holland said Tuesday. He then went on to invoke France's recognition of "the responsibility to protect civilian populations" that the U.N. General Assembly approved in 2005.....snip~

    US, allies going beyond UN to justify Syria action



    So now when France says the UN should go help say the State of Florida.....looks like they are saying they don't need any UN approval from the Security Council. They are protecting the population. It Is a good enuff excuse for them.
    Which just for making such a suggestion. France should be removed From the Security Counsel.

  4. #34
    Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-30-13 @ 07:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,293

    Re: Syria crisis: UK to put forward UN resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    You know the estimated deaths from conventional weapons in the two year old Syrian civil war are estimated between 80,000 to 110,000. Just shocking. Action deemed necessary - Nada.

    Meanwhile Chemical attack kills 350 people - Now there's support for Full steam ahead without any concrete proof as to who is responsible for those particular attacks - The Syrian government or the Rebels...

    Who are you going to target?
    But see those 350 people dead crossed a "red line" that Obama drew. That's what counts, if a person is to buy into the line he sells. Don't ask me why he said something so dumb.
    "“If we don’t deepen our ports all along the Gulf — places like Charleston, South Carolina; or Savannah, Georgia; or Jacksonville, Florida…” -Obama

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Syria crisis: UK to put forward UN resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    According to your link, the Syrian government is denying any chemical attacks and blames the rebels. That's entirely possible, in my opinion. Nothing is as it seems.
    Mornin Maggie. The Russians have denied it to. Furthermore they stated the Rocket or Missile that fired the Chems was homemade. Assad's people even took that area held by the Rebels. They even found a barrel with markings from Saudi Arabia.

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Syria crisis: UK to put forward UN resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    if the UN are allowed to carry out their inspections without interference then I'm sure we will, don't see that happening however.
    Well, the Rebels delayed that by one day by taking pot shots at the UN people while traveling thru the area they held. Should be speaking volumes but is getting covered over.

  7. #37
    Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-30-13 @ 07:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,293

    Re: Syria crisis: UK to put forward UN resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Heya Skipper. Its more of the French. As they think they can do whatever they want by stating they are protecting the people of another country.


    US, allies going beyond UN to justify Syria action

    The United States and its allies are looking beyond the painfully divided U.N. Security Council to legitimize military action against Syria, trying to build a cohesive rationale for a strike and win broad international backing.

    A U.S.-led coalition is likely to invoke an international doctrine known as the Responsibility to Protect, which states that the international community has an obligation to act to prevent crimes against humanity no matter where they occur, said Stephen Biddle, an expert on U.S. military and foreign policy at George Washington University. Biddle noted that the doctrine is increasingly perceived as superceding the need to respect a country's sovereignty.

    "The two natural avenues are NATO and the doctrine of responsibility to protect," he said.

    With little appetite among Americans for plunging into another Mideast conflict, the Obama administration cast its rationale for striking Syria in narrow terms. The goal would not be regime change — as was the case in Iraq — but punishing Syria for its violations of international treaties on chemical weapons, White House spokesman Jay Carney said.

    U.N. spokesman Farhan Haq said Tuesday that U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon's stance remains unchanged: "Our focus is away from any military solution and toward a diplomatic solution."

    But the United States, France and Britain all argued this week that waiting for U.N. action can no longer be justified.

    French President Francois Hollande suggested that the Security Council's failure to act so far is justifying a terrible international crime.

    "International law must evolve with the times. It cannot be a pretext to allow mass massacres to be perpetrated," French President Francois Holland said Tuesday. He then went on to invoke France's recognition of "the responsibility to protect civilian populations" that the U.N. General Assembly approved in 2005.....snip~

    US, allies going beyond UN to justify Syria action



    So now when France says the UN should go help say the State of Florida.....looks like they are saying they don't need any UN approval from the Security Council. They are protecting the population. It Is a good enuff excuse for them.
    Which just for making such a suggestion. France should be removed From the Security Counsel.
    LOL. And when America went to war with Iraq, one of the reasons being the same as what is going on now in Syria, where was all this kind of talk? Then it was nothing but how evil the US was. Screw these people.

    And using NATO as a guise for a civil war that has nothing to do with a member nation? Whats that guy been drinking for lunch?
    "“If we don’t deepen our ports all along the Gulf — places like Charleston, South Carolina; or Savannah, Georgia; or Jacksonville, Florida…” -Obama

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Syria crisis: UK to put forward UN resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Public opinion. This is the game that Obama plays, on the world stage as well as at home. As long as Obama claims to be "doing the right thing" his fan base is fine with doing "unprecedented" things. Whether it is "dreamy" immigration law reform or blowing up things/people in foreign nations you can do it as POTUS because nobody will stop you. Money flows and flags wave.

    Is it not odd that you hear basically one of two things: Obama should have acted 30 months ago before simply watching 100K deaths in Syria or that we should not get involved in the mess that is now likely to leave Syria in the control of radical Islamists. Obama knows that once the missiles start to fly that there is no turning back and even his critics will wave the flag and praise the "fine job" that our military is doing to "restore order to the region". Never mind that Libya and Iraq are messes after they were "saved" orby the USA or that a military coup has actually occured in Egypt.

    Rest assured that Obama will use this new "mini war" to explain why he needs the "patriotic" support of all of the American people to raise the debt "ceiling" (which is really now only the debt floor) to some absurd level (enough to last until after the 2014 elections?) and that we must put aside our partisan differences to let him simply do as he pleases. After all, he is the Nobel Peace Prize guy, so starting another foreign military campaign is cool even with the code pink folks.
    Mornin Ttwtt. Yep, Obama was told by McCain.....then he was told by Russia and China yesterday. Late like! This drive By will do nothing but show that we can do whatever the hell we want. It's Not Regime Change Obama wants. So says Jay Carney. Yet how does this stand up with Obama saying Assad must go. Cant be saying regime change and now come back and say. Its not for Regime Change. Its so we can punishing Assad for using Chems. Even tho then we would have to go punish those Sunni Rebels for using them.....huh?

    See how the French can't think beyond the words that come out of their mouths.

    But Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., an influential voice on military matters, pressed the administration to go further, calling for the U.S. and its allies to provide weapons to "the resistance on the ground."

    "The important part of this whole situation is, is this just going to be just a retaliatory strike that has no lasting impact or something that changes the momentum on the ground in Syria?" McCain told reporters in Mesa, Ariz., after an event on immigration reform.

    Tuesday, a fifth guided-missile destroyer, the USS Stout, also entered the Mediterranean, through the Straights of Gibraltar, but officials said it wouldn't take part in any cruise missile attack.

    "The four destroyers now in place have more than enough cruise missiles," one official said.

    Some U.S. allies, notably Britain, have signaled that a limited strike could take place without Security Council approval. But Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said it would be a "very grave violation of international law," and China said through its government-run news service that the U.S. must refrain from "hasty armed intervention.".....snip~

    Military strikes on Syria 'as early as Thursday,' US officials say - World News

    Edit.....that 5th Destroyer.....is in case Assad has any Russian P800 missiles. It is a ship killer. One Strike!

    Now what happens if Assad sinks one of our Ships.....for attacking him without a UN Resolution?
    Last edited by MMC; 08-28-13 at 10:01 AM.

  9. #39
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,253

    Re: Syria crisis: UK to put forward UN resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Well, the Rebels delayed that by one day by taking pot shots at the UN people while traveling thru the area they held. Should be speaking volumes but is getting covered over.
    the rebels did? Can we confirm that?
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  10. #40
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Syria crisis: UK to put forward UN resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    That's what the evil dictator said yes...
    Right. Well lets go with what the far more evil terrorists said.

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •