Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 160

Thread: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

  1. #141
    Professor
    afr0byte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    A blue state
    Last Seen
    09-12-13 @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,364

    Re: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    If we are supposed to be fat then exactly why aren't we?
    Our generation is fat. The fact that your friends aren't fat doesn't change the reality. I believe that's why Higgins86 rolled his eyes. I didn't quickly find something for just 25-35 year-olds, but: FASTSTATS - Overweight Prevalence < As of 2009-2010 ~69% of those 20+ were overweight or obese.

  2. #142
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

    Quote Originally Posted by Bergslagstroll View Post
    The problem is that it easy to get used to for example salt and sugar. If you for example eat little sugar, an apple can taste really sweet and good, if you consume a lot of sugar in your diet the apple will not taste sweet at all and probably taste like crap.

    The big food corporation of course know this and will try anything they can to get kids used to sugar and salt. By ads and putting a lot of it in products targeted for kids.

    This is of course a problem for schools. If they provide food without a lot of sugar and salt the kids used to sugar and salt will probably think it taste like crap. The other option is putting a lot of sugar and salt in the food and that's not healthy at all. Also the kids not used to alot of sugar and salt will maybee first think it almost discustingly sweet and salty. But probably soon adapt and also only want to eat food with alot of sugar and salt. That you can easily get used to eating a lot of sugar and salt, but of course also get used to not eat, but it takes a lot more time and effort escecially if it easily available.
    This is a big reason why so many pre-packaged foods contain so much sugar and sodium. I'll admit that I was literally shocked when I first learned that store-bought pasta sauces (i.e.: Prego, etc.) contain high-fructose corn syrup as their first listed ingredient.

    I've been making my own pasta sauce and freezing it ever since, about 5 years now.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #143
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,321

    Re: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    In the future, we will all look like the folks from Wall-E.
    LOL. I was thinking the same thing.


    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If you don't want your tax dollars to help the poor, then stop saying you want a country based on Christian values, because you don't." Jimmy Carter

  4. #144
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,321

    Re: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    KIDS ARE GOING HUNGRY and FOOD JUST GETS TRASHED. Isn't government wonderful?

    ROTFLOL... typical of government. They stick their nose in, waste taxpayer money, and Fail. In most cases they just pour in more money, but it's not so easy here... you can bring a kid to ObamaMeals but you can't force them to eat. No eat, no money, no profit.

    It's not so much what people eat that causes obesity, it's how much they eat.


    Doh Homer... no chit.

    Now I see why the fattest states in America are all deep read.


    1. Mississippi
    2. Louisiana
    3. West Virginia
    4. Alabama
    5. Michigan
    6. Oklahoma
    7. Arkansas
    8. Indiana
    8. South Carolina
    10. Kentucky
    10. Texas


    Most and Least Obese U.S. States - US News and World Report

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If you don't want your tax dollars to help the poor, then stop saying you want a country based on Christian values, because you don't." Jimmy Carter

  5. #145
    Professor
    afr0byte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    A blue state
    Last Seen
    09-12-13 @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,364

    Re: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

    Quote Originally Posted by rcart76 View Post
    Now I see why the fattest states in America are all deep read.


    1. Mississippi
    2. Louisiana
    3. West Virginia
    4. Alabama
    5. Michigan
    6. Oklahoma
    7. Arkansas
    8. Indiana
    8. South Carolina
    10. Kentucky
    10. Texas


    Most and Least Obese U.S. States - US News and World Report
    Michigan would be the exception in that list.

  6. #146
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,855

    Re: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    KIDS ARE GOING HUNGRY and FOOD JUST GETS TRASHED. Isn't government wonderful?

    ROTFLOL... typical of government. They stick their nose in, waste taxpayer money, and Fail. In most cases they just pour in more money, but it's not so easy here... you can bring a kid to ObamaMeals but you can't force them to eat. No eat, no money, no profit.

    It's not so much what people eat that causes obesity, it's how much they eat.


    Doh Homer... no chit.
    I have no doubt that if government money were purged from public school lunch rooms across the land and the space given over to trash like McDonald's, it would make right wingers positively orgasmic at the thought of profits both for corporate America and the loss of public employee jobs. The idea that kids would increase their weight and learn poor nutrition would just be acceptable collateral damage.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #147
    User ec60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    09-19-13 @ 02:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    8

    Re: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Greetings Ec60,
    Maybe you missed the stories covering Chicago schools down right denying students to bring their lunches from home.

    Chicago school bans homemade lunches, the latest in national food fight

    I don't know about you, but I find that rather over the top when a parent can no longer decide what their child will eat for lunch.

    So yes I am very happy to see some school districts tell Michelle Obama to take her health food crusade and stick it. The same Michelle that serves Sweet Potato Pie, fine wines at every White House function, Kobe beef for their guests, extravagant desserts that most salivate over that would never meet her hypocritical agenda of what she calls "healthy". Cheers!.
    That is unfortunate, but I don't think it's fair to solely blame Michelle Obama for these choices. Where it may have been her steps to push schools into creating healthy menu styles, I still haven't seen, directly from her, the ruling that certain states are to completely ban brought in lunches. Maybe that particular Chicago school itself chose those drastic measures? If that is the case then maybe that was that schools first step towards correcting their current problem? Do I agree that parents shouldn't be able to send their children to school with their own lunch, no? Do I think that a lot of parents are uninformed and manipulative and are willing to put their own children's health aside to send them to school with a terribly crappy meal just to "stick it to Michelle Obama for being a selfish, 'Sweet Potato Pie, fine wines at every White House function, Kobe beef for their guests, extravagant desserts that most salivate over that would never meet her hypocritical agenda of what she calls 'healthy'"? Absolutely.

    You understand she is the First Lady of the United States of America, right? You get that it would be impolite of her to serve anything less than "extravagant foods that most people would salivate over" to her guests at the White House, right? You understand that there is also at least one White House chef that is creating these meals and that she herself is not in the kitchen coming up with these dishes and laughing maniacally over the fact that there are "starving children all across this country" because she is trying to change that foods that are offered to them at schools and encourage a more active lifestyle, right? ... Because I really don't think you get that. It actually seems to me that you moreso just really hate her husband, and therefore her, and scrutinize everything they do and then hate it just for the sake of hating in, instead of really paying attention that what and who you are hating. That's a shame.
    Liz

    Nothing will ever change if we're unwilling to work with one another to fix the problem.

  8. #148
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:18 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,452
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    This is a big reason why so many pre-packaged foods contain so much sugar and sodium. I'll admit that I was literally shocked when I first learned that store-bought pasta sauces (i.e.: Prego, etc.) contain high-fructose corn syrup as their first listed ingredient.

    I've been making my own pasta sauce and freezing it ever since, about 5 years now.
    A huge problem with the level of obesity is the government... once again. They published food guidelines that were designed to create fatniks.

    There was a study done by a researcher at UPenn, and another in Denmark. In the former the researcher believed his results from the study about Atkins diet would result in high cholesterol and poor blood values. He stated it would be the first and last study of its kind. He was shocked by the results.

    In Denmark all participants bought food from a special store following an Atkins type diet (low to no carbs, lots of protein, fats and vegetables). In both studies the blood values improved and cholesterol was lower.

    Our government and their food pyramid, plus the push towards "fat free" was a dream for creating fatniks. Take out fat and you have to put sugar in for taste. Carbs are sugar. Sugar, sugar, and more sugar. Fruit juice... as much sugar as soda. No wonder we have a diabetes problem in this country.

    If I eat 3 eggs in the morning as an omlette, I don't need to eat until the evening. No snacking required. Fat, meat, mayo, vegetables, nuts and the like keep you full longer. Carbs don't... with them you're continually hungry.

    Once again... government sticks its nose into the equation, gets it horribly wrong, and the masses who look to government as some kind of error free God... pay the price.

    The Government's Food Pyramid Correlates to Obesity, Critics Say


    While the government has stood by this regimen for 11 years, some critics say it's no coincidence that the number of overweight Americans has risen 61% since the pyramid was introduced

    http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB1...60.djm,00.html
    Quote Originally Posted by ec60 View Post
    That is unfortunate, but I don't think it's fair to solely blame Michelle Obama for these choices...

    You understand she is the First Lady of the United States of America, right?...
    She's a first lady who stuck her nose into the issue. So yes... she is largely responsible for the latest government mess... and you don't think she would take full credit if it were successful? Thank God it wasn't, because this strips her of any future grand plans for us plebes.

    I also find it funny to watch what these folks eat as they lecture us.
    Last edited by zimmer; 09-02-13 at 11:40 AM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  9. #149
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,869

    Re: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

    Quote Originally Posted by ec60 View Post
    That is unfortunate, but I don't think it's fair to solely blame Michelle Obama for these choices. Where it may have been her steps to push schools into creating healthy menu styles, I still haven't seen, directly from her, the ruling that certain states are to completely ban brought in lunches. Maybe that particular Chicago school itself chose those drastic measures? If that is the case then maybe that was that schools first step towards correcting their current problem? Do I agree that parents shouldn't be able to send their children to school with their own lunch, no? Do I think that a lot of parents are uninformed and manipulative and are willing to put their own children's health aside to send them to school with a terribly crappy meal just to "stick it to Michelle Obama for being a selfish, 'Sweet Potato Pie, fine wines at every White House function, Kobe beef for their guests, extravagant desserts that most salivate over that would never meet her hypocritical agenda of what she calls 'healthy'"? Absolutely.

    You understand she is the First Lady of the United States of America, right? You get that it would be impolite of her to serve anything less than "extravagant foods that most people would salivate over" to her guests at the White House, right? You understand that there is also at least one White House chef that is creating these meals and that she herself is not in the kitchen coming up with these dishes and laughing maniacally over the fact that there are "starving children all across this country" because she is trying to change that foods that are offered to them at schools and encourage a more active lifestyle, right? ... Because I really don't think you get that. It actually seems to me that you moreso just really hate her husband, and therefore her, and scrutinize everything they do and then hate it just for the sake of hating in, instead of really paying attention that what and who you are hating. That's a shame.
    There's more than one chef involved in State dinners etc. The head chef and pastry chef along with those in charge of floral arrangements and choices of cutlery to dishes all meet to coordinate along with the First Lady's staff for such events. If your mission as First Lady is to promote healthier food choices for children in school, you would think she would be showing the children by example. The menus for such events are very much part of the news cycle and even an 8 year old can see the hypocrisy. You have accused me of hating the person, ......excuse me, hating the hypocrisy, the double standards, does not equate to hating the person.

  10. #150
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,909

    Re: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

    Quote Originally Posted by ec60 View Post
    Do I think that a lot of parents are uninformed and manipulative and are willing to put their own children's health aside to send them to school with a terribly crappy meal just to "stick it to Michelle Obama for being a selfish, 'Sweet Potato Pie, fine wines at every White House function, Kobe beef for their guests, extravagant desserts that most salivate over that would never meet her hypocritical agenda of what she calls 'healthy'"? Absolutely.
    I'm astonished and don't believe for an instant that "lots of parents" would ignore their kids' nutrition for this reason.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •