Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 160

Thread: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

  1. #131
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    well then I guess its settled....
    If we are supposed to be fat then exactly why aren't we?
    Last edited by Henrin; 08-29-13 at 07:28 PM.

  2. #132
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,462

    Re: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

    I don't think kids think about healthy or unhealthy.

    The either like the taste or not.

    If the kids are rejecting the food it is because of the taste and not because it is healthy.

    The schools have to try harder to serve food that is healthy and tastes good.

    I still remember pizza day. I had to go to school that day.

  3. #133
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    it is when you count fires as a veggie and they have burger and fries.
    Well, having a bunch of deep fried cauliflower, Zucchini and mushrooms isn't much better. But I really don't understand what point you are trying to convey

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

    Just reading in another thread about a recent executive order banning the importation of some specific firearms that had been legal to bring in last week. Have no fear, the obesity and school lunch choice will soon be resolved. As soon as the government locks down health care, we will all be told what we can eat, how much of it, where we have to purchase it and from whom. After all, what we choose to do will them be directly tied to government funding. And as we all know when it comes to spending money government knows best. I see a day when there are SWAT raids against those who dare to grow their own tomatoes, and since we will all be disarmed there will not be a damned thng we can do about it.

  5. #135
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    I don't think kids think about healthy or unhealthy.

    The either like the taste or not.

    If the kids are rejecting the food it is because of the taste and not because it is healthy.

    The schools have to try harder to serve food that is healthy and tastes good.

    I still remember pizza day. I had to go to school that day.
    I pretty much completely agree with this, but I think it can be taken a bit farther. Why don't they like the taste? Some foods you just naturally like the first time you taste them, but many are an acquired taste. If a kid hasn't been exposed to certain foods early, it's less likely they're going to be open-minded later.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #136
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,880

    Re: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

    Quote Originally Posted by ec60 View Post
    .



    Where did that happen? I found one story about a North Carolina girl being sent home with her lunch and being offered chicken nuggets at school instead, but I did also notice that the story was only reported on far right-wing websites and I have a hard time sometimes with articles that come out only on one side of the spectrum. Regardless of the politics involved I would say that a further investigation should be done on that particular inspector and should he be found faulty on his judgments, he should lose his job.



    .
    Greetings Ec60,
    Maybe you missed the stories covering Chicago schools down right denying students to bring their lunches from home.

    Chicago school bans homemade lunches, the latest in national food fight

    I don't know about you, but I find that rather over the top when a parent can no longer decide what their child will eat for lunch.

    So yes I am very happy to see some school districts tell Michelle Obama to take her health food crusade and stick it. The same Michelle that serves Sweet Potato Pie, fine wines at every White House function, Kobe beef for their guests, extravagant desserts that most salivate over that would never meet her hypocritical agenda of what she calls "healthy". Cheers!.

  7. #137
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,462

    Re: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I pretty much completely agree with this, but I think it can be taken a bit farther. Why don't they like the taste? Some foods you just naturally like the first time you taste them, but many are an acquired taste. If a kid hasn't been exposed to certain foods early, it's less likely they're going to be open-minded later.
    The fact is that you cannot control what people do in their house, so you have to provide something the kids are going to like or they won't eat it.

  8. #138
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,611

    Re: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    The fact is that you cannot control what people do in their house, so you have to provide something the kids are going to like or they won't eat it.
    The problem is that it easy to get used to for example salt and sugar. If you for example eat little sugar, an apple can taste really sweet and good, if you consume a lot of sugar in your diet the apple will not taste sweet at all and probably taste like crap.

    The big food corporation of course know this and will try anything they can to get kids used to sugar and salt. By ads and putting a lot of it in products targeted for kids.

    This is of course a problem for schools. If they provide food without a lot of sugar and salt the kids used to sugar and salt will probably think it taste like crap. The other option is putting a lot of sugar and salt in the food and that's not healthy at all. Also the kids not used to alot of sugar and salt will maybee first think it almost discustingly sweet and salty. But probably soon adapt and also only want to eat food with alot of sugar and salt. That you can easily get used to eating a lot of sugar and salt, but of course also get used to not eat, but it takes a lot more time and effort escecially if it easily available.

  9. #139
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,050

    Re: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

    In the future, we will all look like the folks from Wall-E.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #140
    Professor
    afr0byte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    A blue state
    Last Seen
    09-12-13 @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,364

    Re: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    The fact is that you cannot control what people do in their house, so you have to provide something the kids are going to like or they won't eat it.
    They'll eat it if they're hungry enough.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •