Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 160

Thread: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

  1. #121
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    yes and they continued to carry on eating that kind of food into adulthood and became fatter the older they got. Maybe if they had been taught about healthy foods and exposed to it they might have thought twice about that big mac.
    Pizza or a hamburger isn't exactly unhealthy food and can easily fit into a balanced diet.

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-08-13 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,114

    Re: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    wow you have a very limited knowledge of the UK.


    But back to school dinners you draw the line at healthy balanced dinners. Make sure the kids have a protein, veggies etc on their plate. Drinking water instead of soda, fruit instead of candy etc. Its ironic conservatives get angry about food stamps being spent on junk food but in the school sytems its fine. lol.
    because my money is being used out of my pocket to buy my kids school lunch my kid doesn't get his for free and because my personal money is being spent i have the right to decide what my kid eats not the states. when some one else is paying then that person who is paying has the right to decide and that is why WHEN YOU LET THE STATE PROVIDE THEY GET TO MAKE THE DECISIONS AND YOU LOSE YOUR RIGHT TO DO SO YOU LOSE YOUR FREEDOMS this is why socialism is contrary to freedom and liberty

  3. #123
    User ec60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    09-19-13 @ 02:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    8

    Re: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    KIDS ARE GOING HUNGRY and FOOD JUST GETS TRASHED. Isn't government wonderful?
    Is it possible that these children are "turning their noses up at these foods" because their parents are encouraging them to dislike these options? I know that I have heard this debate going on since Michelle Obama decided to try to make the lack of health in our country a priority to focus on. I don't believe that a lot of parents are realizing that their actions are being mimicked by their children. Or maybe they do realize it and are purposefully encouraging an unhealthy lifestyle to prevent change from a Democrat to take place.

    Of course children are also children and when they're younger it isn't "cool" to choose healthier options. I think it's an unfair assessment to make that the policy is failing BECAUSE children are not interested in the food. I think it's a safer assumption to make that instead of all parents acknowledging that we do in fact have an obesity epidemic in our country, they choose to undermine the current leadership so much that they would put their own children's health at stake to make certain policies fail.

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer
    ROTFLOL... typical of government. They stick their nose in, waste taxpayer money, and Fail. In most cases they just pour in more money, but it's not so easy here... you can bring a kid to ObamaMeals but you can't force them to eat. No eat, no money, no profit.
    I agree that our government should do a much better job at prioritizing where our money is spent, but you say this as though Obama is forcefully trying to make children eat plates full of cockroaches for ****s and giggles. The financial crisis we are in started during Bush's term and I don't believe that Obama has helped nearly as much as he promised to do and it's a fair argument to make that the current administration is failing to fix an inherited problem.

    I appreciate this article that I read from CBS that I felt showed what the real idea behind this policy change was supposed to do.

    Quote Originally Posted by CBS News
    Districts that leave the program are free to develop their own guidelines. Voorheesville's chef began serving such dishes as salad topped with flank steak and crumbled cheese, pasta with chicken and mushrooms, and a panini with chicken, red peppers and cheese.

    In Catlin, soups and fish sticks will return to the menu this year, and the hamburger lunch will come with yogurt and a banana - not one or the other, like last year.
    I personally do not believe that it was Michelle Obama's intention to literally tell people what they're allowed to eat and what they are not allowed to eat. I believe her idea was to educate school systems on what healthier options are and to guide them to make their own changes. A friend of mine is from a state where her children are allowed to pick, on a daily basis, from three different fast food restaurants for lunch. I would take children eating a hamburger with a yogurt and a banana over a happy meal from McDonald's any day. The truth is that the initial plan may not have worked but now these school systems are capable of changing up the menus some to still maintain healthier options without continuing to lose money.

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer
    It's not so much what people eat that causes obesity, it's how much they eat.
    That's not really true. Yes, there is much merit to the idea that portion control helps maintain weight levels and that the proper amounts of exercise helps with metabolism, but just eating less does not make you lose weight and be healthy. Maybe you haven't heard lately but there are known ties to diet sodas actually encouraging weight gain as well as developing tumors and holes in your brain over many, many years of continued consumption. Genetically modified seeds that are government sponsored and produced and shoved into the hands of government owned farmers are causing cancer. They're producing bigger crops at times, but those bigger crops have lost their nutritional values and that altered status of their genetic growth is making people sick. There are hundreds of companies and foods that are illegal in other countries that this country continues to sell because scientists have proven that these companies products are making people sick, if not killing them. They're all still legal here though because even one person, or one group encouraging a healthy change (like Michelle Obama) sent people into a ranting spiral of fury and all of the "you can't tell us what to do" and "you can't take away our freedoms" sentences start being thrown around.
    Liz

    Nothing will ever change if we're unwilling to work with one another to fix the problem.

  4. #124
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,241

    Re: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Pizza or a hamburger isn't exactly unhealthy food and can easily fit into a balanced diet.
    it is when you count fires as a veggie and they have burger and fries.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    it is when you count fires as a veggie and they have burger and fries.
    Yup, we had those when I was a kid as well. Still only one fat kid that I can remember.

  6. #126
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,241

    Re: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Yup, we had those when I was a kid as well. Still only one fat kid that I can remember.
    Yes and they turned into fat adults! I don't know why anyone is trying to argue that eating fatty/processed foods will help make you fatter and lead to serious helath problems down the line.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    Yes and they turned into fat adults! I don't know why anyone is trying to argue that eating fatty/processed foods will help make you fatter and lead to serious helath problems down the line.
    None of my friends from high school are fat.

  8. #128
    User ec60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    09-19-13 @ 02:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    8

    Re: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I think it points to a very different issue: We're so jilted as a society that kids don't appreciate food when it's given. They assume it will always be there, and they're picky as hell. . . whereas other kids would give anything if they could have what our kids throw away.

    It peeves me to no end my kids just take their food for granted (and we pay full price for ours) and I can't police them during lunch to make sure they eat it all.

    We're a spoiled freaking country. . . filled with people who whine that "I don't like FRUIT" - nature's candy and they don't like it? Oh - but if they were Snicker's it would just be wrappers in the trash.

    Meanwhile - cost for meals in our district has gone up .20/meal - for the same stuff that they only eat half of.
    There is extreme greed in country and there is extreme negligence in this country as well with parents that don't want to hear or see their children, they just want them to get home from school, shut up and get their hot pockets, and go space out in front of the television until it's time for bed. It's not about children hating healthy food, it's about parents not caring and allowing them to tell them what to do instead of the other way around.

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Glad to read that at least some schools are saying thanks but no thanks. However, there have been some incidences in schools where they have food police actually checking the lunches of packers and if they didn't find the lunch to meet their level of nutritional value, would then take the lunch from the child, make them eat in the cafeteria and then send a bill to the parent for the school lunch.
    Where did that happen? I found one story about a North Carolina girl being sent home with her lunch and being offered chicken nuggets at school instead, but I did also notice that the story was only reported on far right-wing websites and I have a hard time sometimes with articles that come out only on one side of the spectrum. Regardless of the politics involved I would say that a further investigation should be done on that particular inspector and should he be found faulty on his judgments, he should lose his job.

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I do think the new calorie limits are unreasonably low. Especially for older kids, and double-especially for active older kids that play sports.
    There has never been a time in history when a huge change was proposed and on its first go around it was perfect and nothing needed to be changed. This country is in serious danger with how far apart and separated the Republican and Democratic parties have become over the passed 13 years. No Child Left Behind was hated by Democrats because Bush was not a good president. Obama has taken it over into his presidency and offered changes for it - or from what I've read and seen has essentially renamed the bill into something else and offered a different perspective on the matter. Is his idea perfect? Probably not. There are probably a lot of things that need to change and hopefully whoever is president next will continue to improve on children's educations. Republicans despise the school lunch reform because a Democrat offered it to the table. They hate everything about it and make up jibberish about what "Michelle Obama said" and what "Michelle Obama wants" but how offering additions to the measure? I see people here reasonably discussing this measure and offering their opinions, but when it comes to the actual bill it seems like everyone just wants to scream that Michelle Obama is a terrible person. Is Obama a great president? No, he could have done a lot better. Is sitting in your political corner and screaming that the other side is against America going to change anything? Absolutely not. I hope that the next administration to take office, Democrat or Republican, is not arrogant and stupid enough to back out of trying to make this measure successful. Changes take time and it's unreasonable to assume that ANYONE can come in and fix something immediately.
    Liz

    Nothing will ever change if we're unwilling to work with one another to fix the problem.

  9. #129
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,321

    Re: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

    What kind of nation are we where we think it is a bad ideal to feed our kids healthy food instead of the process crap that we are giving them now?

    We are slowly turning into that society in that movie Idiocracy


    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If you don't want your tax dollars to help the poor, then stop saying you want a country based on Christian values, because you don't." Jimmy Carter

  10. #130
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,241

    Re: Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    None of my friends from high school are fat.
    well then I guess its settled....
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •