Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 197

Thread: Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog

  1. #51
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    The guy said something that troubled me. I'll try to get over it and not cry myself to sleep. So, I'd like to hear the other side of the story. Surely that's not unreasonable?
    What troubled you was his comment that he would not eat there again. Actually, I think a better word than troubled would be "confused"

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    There is something troubling my inner detective. At the end of the interview version I watched on Fox.com he says he won't give this guy his business again.

    Again? Were you there before? Did you bring your dog? Did you act up? So, I searched for more info and it seems to be that suing restaurants over service animals not a new thing occurrence. Some substantial settlements from McDonalds.
    You seem to think that his use of the word "again" indicates that he had been there before. It doesn't, I think his use of the word "again" tripped your wires for some reason.

    He went there once (the time he was kicked out) and now he won't go back again. He was never there before.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #52
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    Re: Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    A service dog for a disabled person is not a companion.
    Service Dogs - Canine Companions for Independence

    Imagine having a dog that could turn on lights, pick up dropped keys or open a door. Canine Companions for Independence Service Dogs are partnered with adults with physical disabilities to assist with daily tasks and increase independence by reducing reliance on other people. A Service Dog can pull their partner in a manual wheelchair, push buttons for elevators or automatic doors, and even assist with business transactions by transferring money, receipts, and packages.

    A CCI Service Dog not only assists with physical tasks, but also provides social support. During a two-week training session, participants learn how to effectively handle an assistance dog to maximize use of the 40 commands.
    https://www.certifymydog.com

    According to the American Disabilities Act (federal) any dog assisting a person with a disability is considered a service dog. A Service Dog (companion dog) and its handler enjoys special protection under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, which gives them equal access to anywhere the general public is allowed, such as restaurants, grocery stores, movie theaters, taxis, and aircraft, as well as providing protection for handlers living in places "pets" are not generally allowed. Your "canine helper" is moments away from becoming a Certified Service Dog through Service Dog Certification of America!
    Companion Dogs | Disability Assistance Dogs

    A companion dog is trained to assist individuals in their home. They provide unconditional love and affection to their partner who may be elderly, home-bound or have a psychiatric or other illness. Studies have shown, that people with dogs tend to live longer, are healthier, more active and feel more fulfilled. Our companion dogs are also taught to dial 911 and provide an added measure of safety.
    Mental Health Assistance Dogs - Skilled Companion Dogs

    While Skilled Companion Dogs are not a substitute for doctors, therapists and supportive family members and friends; they can become an integral part of a treatment team.
    Companion Dog or Service Dog: New Department of Justice Ruling | Animals at your Service

    The Department of Justice (DOJ) recently sent out a newly adopted revision to the meaning and use of service animals. According to the DOJ – “new ADA rules define “service animal” as any dog that is individually trained for an intellectual, or mental disability.
    Seems as if trainers and the DOJ disagree with you a little on this.

    It is something that helps them to do things.
    Dogs aren't things that help you do things.

    The rest of your post is undecipherable nonsense.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 08-28-13 at 02:31 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Like some guy who is sad because he doesn't have a vagina
    I am not on disability, I do not carry around a dog, and I am not asking to violate health laws. But if he needs some medication, a shrink, and is that mental that he cannot work I am for helping him with medical care. A dog is not medicine for a perfectly physically healthy person. For a person without sight or limbs a dog actually performs some functions of those things for the disabled person. This dog is just there because he wants him with him outside the home. Now if people want to allow dogs in everywhere and allow everyone who wants their dog's companionship with them I am open to having that argument. This is not a service dog. It is just a pet.

  4. #54
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    and you said that to tererun.
    That was deliberate, Mr Perceptive
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #55
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    What troubled you was his comment that he would not eat there again. Actually, I think a better word than troubled would be "confused"

    You seem to think that his use of the word "again" indicates that he had been there before. It doesn't, I think his use of the word "again" tripped your wires for some reason.

    He went there once (the time he was kicked out) and now he won't go back again. He was never there before.
    Is this an opinion© or actual knowledge?

  6. #56
    Professor Hypersonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    11-04-13 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1,379

    Re: Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    yeah, you do not get a free pass to scam the system because you are a vet. Sorry, I can see why some people do get help and have real legitimate problems that come from all of that. I can even see psychological counseling for people with PTSD and if meds help would be willing to pay for them through taxes also. Your dog is not a psychologist trained to deal with mental attacks. A PTSD dog is not helping get them things they are physically unable to get because of their injury. If he wants to wander around with his personal headshrinker because he might have a panick attack, I am not going to argue with that, but unless that dog is scooby doo the only thing it will do if you have a panic attack is to drool on you and bark. It is not going to talk him down, adminsiter a sedative, or do anything useful. Making this crap up is not helping out legitimately injured people who do need a service animal.

    Your post made me lol'd.....

    Although I disagree with it, I thought it was really funny especially the Scooby Doo reference.

  7. #57
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    A dog is not medicine for a perfectly physically healthy person.
    And a vagina is not medicine for a perfectly physically healthy man who is just sad because he wants to walk around with a vagina wherever he goes.

    Operations that mutilate someone in order to "cure" a perfectly healthy person should be outlawed.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    That was deliberate, Mr Perceptive
    I'm aware of that.

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog


    Oh, so pretty much the same damned thing as anyone else with a pet when it comes to the mental aspect. It is a pet in that case, and it is not a service dog just because it makes a person feel better. That is what every pet does for the most part. Pet owners are not disabled and perfectly capable of getting along for the few moments their pet is not with them, and so is this guy.

  10. #60
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    And a vagina is not medicine for a perfectly physically healthy man.

    Operations that mutilate someone in order to "cure" a perfectly healthy person should be outlawed.
    Hey! My lobotomy was a life-saver. But where did the vagina come from? Stage left? You're sounding like a mystic.

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •